HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2014, 08:15 AM
Norway, Vestfold, Larvik
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
Spare parts?

Happy New Year, everyone!

Anyone know where to get spare parts for this bird? Today's maiden voyage lasted for about two seconds, and the canopy is now in pieces

Thanks!
Warbler is offline Find More Posts by Warbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2014, 11:20 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Greetings fellow sailplane pilots!

I am pleased to announce that I will soon join the ranks of Lanyu ASW-28 owners. From the descriptions provided on this thread, this sailplane looks to be an incredible value. I have previously owned EPO versions of the Ventus, ASW-28, Fox, Minimoa, Super Sky Surfer and Phoenix 2000. My favorite among those was the Phoenix, which I simply lost last summer while flying. I was distracted by some deer running across a road and when I went to refocus on my plane (which was against the sun and clouds), I could not find it.

The Ventus, 2.3m ASW-28, Fox and Minimoa are also ancient history; however I enjoyed flying each of those planes immensely. The Super Sky Surfer is a fun plane that I use to introduce friends to the hobby. I have thermaled that plane up to 1000 feet on several occasions.

The Lanyu ASW-28 looks like a good compromise between performance, size, looks and quality. There will always be better performers, but few that look this good in the air, and none at this price point.

As the year progresses I will be posting a video of my own flying experiences with this bird.

Best regards to all,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Jan 08, 2014, 03:38 PM
flying at SCMAC
Australia, SA, Hindmarsh Island
Joined Apr 2013
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
Happy New Year, everyone!

Anyone know where to get spare parts for this bird? Today's maiden voyage lasted for about two seconds, and the canopy is now in pieces

Thanks!
you could send an email inquiry to ray@volantexrc.com direct at the factory, i dealt with him when i ordered mine, he may take a couple of days to answer you though but should have spares you would think link to website http://www.volantexrc.com/products/glider
ask21flyer is offline Find More Posts by ask21flyer
Last edited by ask21flyer; Jan 08, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:37 AM
Spain, Community of Madrid, Madrid
Joined Oct 2006
4 Posts
Hello Smoth, I have the engine mounted in my ASW28 you can see on this web link.
http://www.modeltronic.es/motor-brus...99c02204ae15df

Salutations Paco

Hola, el motor que yo tengo montado en mi ASW28 es el que puede ver en este enlace web. http://www.modeltronic.es/motor-brus...99c02204ae15df

Saludos Paco
ballesteros is offline Find More Posts by ballesteros
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:36 AM
Joined Nov 2008
218 Posts
Great Deal

I just flew this morning for the first time ...building took about 2 hours which is longer than I am used too ..many new gliders already have horns installed so I guess I am spoiled...this one took longer and the instructions were pretty bad but again not much to figure out.

Anyhow very impressive and such a great deal for the money. Flies way better than my ASW28 from FMS, does not seem to stall as much and of course the flaps are a great addition.

I would say it is also LIGHTER than the FMS (and the specs reflect that) which is puzzling given that it is quite larger and has 2 more servos. It is also lighter by a lot than the Phoenix Evolution 2600mm

Definitely flies slower and the flaps work great for landing.//the FMS one needs to fly fast or else...

I used a 1300mah and I can run the motor for 5 minutes...of course the flight time would be at least 15 minutes doing basic stuff with no thermal.

fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Last edited by fbitz777; Jan 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:02 AM
Joined Nov 2008
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoth View Post
Hallo all.
What is the engine model for this glider?
Is it the same as the phoenix 2000?
Thanks.
It is the same as the Phoenix Evolution which I got yesterday...The specs and the shipping box on Phoenix Evolution claim a 2815 motor but what I received was a 4023 motor . Since they claim the same for the Phoenix 2000 I guess they have upgraded their motors.

Not sure why it is different from specs but again not much info from manufacturer.
fbitz777 is offline Find More Posts by fbitz777
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:23 AM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbitz777 View Post
I just flew this morning for the first time ...building took about 2 hours which is longer than I am used too ..many new gliders already have horns installed so I guess I am spoiled...this one took longer and the instructions were pretty bad but again not much to figure out.

Anyhow very impressive and such a great deal for the money. Flies way better than my ASW28 from FMS, does not seem to stall as much and of course the flaps are a great addition.

I would say it is also LIGHTER than the FMS (and the specs reflect that) which is puzzling given that it is quite larger and has 2 more servos. It is also lighter by a lot than the Phoenix Evolution 2600mm

Definitely flies slower and the flaps work great for landing.//the FMS one needs to fly fast or else...

I used a 1300mah and I can run the motor for 5 minutes...of course the flight time would be at least 15 minutes doing basic stuff with no thermal.

Fbitz,

Thanks for this report.

I, too, have owned the FMS ASW-28. I loved the way it looked and flew, but lost it due to a tip stall while low and slow on a ridge. It was 2.3 meters vs. the Lanyu at 2.6.

I really like the addition of flaps, they are so useful. I mix them with the elevator to get tighter turns in a thermal, plus like to dial in a little flap when thermalling to increase lift. I should have mine by early next week.

I will log my build when I get around to it. I like to paint the wings with mixture of Polycrylic and white acrylic paint to get a smooth and beautiful finish, just like a real fiberglass wing. I used to fly full-size gliders, so I really appreciate the scale details of this glider.

Sincerely,

Jackson
Old Jan 25, 2014, 05:36 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballesteros View Post
Hello Smoth, I have the engine mounted in my ASW28 you can see on this web link.
http://www.modeltronic.es/motor-brus...99c02204ae15df

Salutations Paco

Hola, el motor que yo tengo montado en mi ASW28 es el que puede ver en este enlace web. http://www.modeltronic.es/motor-brus...99c02204ae15df

Saludos Paco
Hi PAco.
Where do you fly in Madrid?

Un saludo
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:08 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Hi guys,

I finished my ASW-28 build last night and maidened with two flights this afternoon.

I hope to get some pictures tomorrow.

The maiden went without any problems. I still need to put the motor brake on and add some of the mixes like elevator to flap that I like. I thought the plane flew beautifully. Very reminiscent of a full-size sailplane in the air (I used to fly the big boys). I saw a YouTube video by a Norweigen guy named Lauck who described this plane as a "sex bomb in the sky". If he meant to say that the plane is very sexy looking in the air, I totally agree.

Cheers,

Jackson
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:53 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
ESC Brake Function Programming

Just programmed the brake on the stock ESC. For those of you who were as baffled as I by the Volantex RC ESC instructions that came packaged with the sailplane, the answers of how to program this ESC can be found in the instructions posted by ASK21 in post #58.

In summary, you set the throttle stick to high, then plug in the ESC. This will put it into program mode. Then follows a series of four musical tones. It is the second series that you want. Just move the throttle stick to zero on the second set of four musical tones.

It is amazing to me that with all the attention that Lanyu obviously puts into producing a quality sailplane at low cost they don't adequately address this issue. The obvious thing for them to do is preprogram the ESC to have the brake setting on. Maybe someone from Lanyu will read this and say to themselves "of course".

Jackson
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Flying Characteristics

During the two maiden flights today I formed an impression of a nice, scale thermal sailplane. After trimming for level flight I did a fair amount of "hands-off" flying. The ship holds both straight and level flight, and a slight bank very nicely, which is great when you are searching for lift. This plane will not thermal as well as a sport sailplane designed for thermalling that has more wing area, and a correspondingly lower wing loading. However, I have lots of experience thermalling the FMS ASW-28 and enjoy the look of a scale vs. sport sailplane in the sky. In Colorado we tend to have nice strong thermals once the weather warms a little, so the higher wing loading is not a big issue for me.

The weakness of this ship is the small, scale-like ailerons. This translates into slow reaction times on rolls. This is important when rolling from one side to the other during figure 8 maneuvers, as well as attitude recovery when being tossed around by a strong thermal. I may end up mixing individual flaps to ailerons to overcome this. The slow reaction from ailerons makes this plane less well suited to applications, like ridge soaring, that need good aileron control.

For thermal soaring I think it will be a fine ship. It has a very solid and stately feel in the air.

Regarding CG, I found that, even with an 1800 mAh battery, the ship was still nose heavy and required up elevator trim to avoid a rapid descent in level flight. I have added 10 grams of weight to the tail to compensate and will test this out tomorrow. If I like the CG, I will measure carefully and report in this thread. I have a friend who is an expert thermaller and he likes the CG as aft as you can get it. My preference is for a compromise on CG that provides good penetration through sink, yet allows the plane to slow up nicely for a thermal. It is a matter of taste that develops when doing lots of thermalling. I also like to deploy half flap when thermalling to increase lift and slow the plane down more.

A final note is that I did about ten approaches to get a feeling for how this ship will settle down on a landing. I like to do my downwind at about 200 AGL, then a broad, descending turn to line up for final. I use the flaps to lower speed on final approach, and will use them earlier if I need to drop altitude on a high final. I found the ASW-28 to be really smooth on approach and landing. Plus she looks absolutely gorgeous turning final; wow, what a nice-looking plane!

I will post more as I get more flight experience.

Regards,

Jackson
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:49 PM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Hi guys,

I finished my ASW-28 build last night and maidened with two flights this afternoon.

I hope to get some pictures tomorrow.

The maiden went without any problems. I still need to put the motor brake on and add some of the mixes like elevator to flap that I like. I thought the plane flew beautifully. Very reminiscent of a full-size sailplane in the air (I used to fly the big boys). I saw a YouTube video by a Norweigen guy named Lauck who described this plane as a "sex bomb in the sky". If he meant to say that the plane is very sexy looking in the air, I totally agree.

Cheers,

Jackson
good to see the maiden went well
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:32 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Flight Report

I was able to get out this morning with a couple of buddies and do some more flying with the ASW-28. Since yesterday I was able to activate the ESC brake and added 10 grams of weight in the tail. The measured CG on my Great Planes CG is now 53 mm from the leading edge. I suspect this plane will still handle well at 56+ mm from the leading edge. The manual calls for 56 mm plus or minus 5 mm, so if anything I am still too nose heavy. I note that there is a slight amount of up elevator trim to fly level, which confirms nose heavy. Also there was a tendency to porpoise slightly in hands off flight.

Conclusion: Lanyu's recommended 56 mm from leading edge is a good number. I have found manufacturer's recommendations to be inaccurate before, so it is good to see someone getting this right. I will probably add another 5 grams of tail weight and see where I end up.

Even with a slightly nose-heavy CG, the flying characteristics were very much improved from yesterday. The plane has a flat and stable glide. With the limited aileron control surfaces it has only limited aerobatic capability. To do a decent roll you need to be ready with both ailerons and rudder to get the wings to roll 360 in a reasonable time period. But, I did not get this plane for aerobatics. I wanted a good-looking scale thermal soarer and I think I have a good one.

I have previously owned the FMS ASW-28 and have considerable time soaring that plane. By comparison, the Lanyu ASW-28 is more docile on the controls and less prone to tip stall. The FMS would tip stall in a heartbeat if you were sloppy and slow in a turn. The Lanyu is more forgiving.

I will post some pictures next.

Jackson
Old Jan 27, 2014, 04:12 PM
flying at SCMAC
Joined Apr 2013
606 Posts
look what i have just seen at HK yep the asw28
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...40mm_PNF_.html