HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by MikeRx, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:40 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Cool
22" Magnum Madness! (3d wing)

Here is # 9! These are all prototype 22" KF wings that are fully sanded 4 layer 6mm depron and 5mm Midwest Cellfoam. (All trailing edges are 1mm, etc.)
There seems to be an evolution of this series as each prototype seems to fly a little better based on a continual change of sweep and cord.

This one uses 1/2" more cord and lenth, 1/4" more elevon, 1" more nose width at the wing LE, and more dihedral.
Weight is up .4oz to 5.5 oz (156g.) with 450mah 3s, but wing loading is the same.

The term 3d wing has been mentioned alot becuase of the wing's ability to hang on post-stall in upright and inverted harrier..under control..without rudder or vectored thrust. I measured a peak of 16 oz thrust on 5.7 oz flying weight
Oh.. and it can go 70mph
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
Last edited by MikeRx; Nov 04, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:27 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2012
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
Here is # 9! These are all prototype 22" KF wings that are fully sanded 4 layer 6mm depron and 5mm Midwest Cellfoam. (All trailing edges are 1mm, etc.)
There seems to be an evolution of this series as each prototype seems to fly a little better based on a continual change of sweep and cord.

This one uses 1/2" more cord and lenth, 1/4" more elevon, 1" more nose width at the wing LE, and more dihedral.
Weight is up .4oz to 5.5 oz (156g.) with 450mah 3s, but wing loading is the same.

The term 3d wing has been mentioned alot becuase of the wing's ability to hang on post-stall in upright and inverted harrier..under control..without rudder!
No big deal? Well how about an inverted harrier at walking speed, touching the tail and cutting a little grass.. then rocketing into a tight outside half loop..then going full lock down, off throttle, while descending straight down while flat, zero ground speed "elevator" move right back inverted.. where it all started a few seconds before.
Oh.. and it can go 70mph Sorry I am all talk and no vid for this one yet. coming..
Looks cool! Cant wait for the video

Brendan
BrendanH is offline Find More Posts by BrendanH
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:23 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,738 Posts
Hey Mike,

It does look nice.... I did something similar came out to < 70 g but instead of vert stab(s) I heat bent the tips up ... worked great and eliminated the need for added glue joints. The down side is no bottom fins like yours.

Edit: I should add that I'm not comparing size/weight... mine was made from 4mm $ Tree type foam and only a single KF step on top. Yours is much beefier and sleek ;-).

Couple questions for you:

- do you have any angles on your motor?
- what technique do you use to get those cool checker board stabs? ;-)

Cheers,
J

uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Last edited by uberjay; Aug 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old Aug 23, 2013, 02:55 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Video..would be interested...please bump this thread when it is available so I know where to look.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 04, 2013, 06:26 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Video!

Thanks for the replies.

Your vids..

70mph wing in a 150' lot in the middle of Dallas, Texas! (3 min 1 sec)

22" magnum on 4s.. (3 min 1 sec)
Old Sep 04, 2013, 06:33 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
Hey Mike,

It does look nice.... I did something similar came out to < 70 g but instead of vert stab(s) I heat bent the tips up ... worked great and eliminated the need for added glue joints. The down side is no bottom fins like yours.

Edit: I should add that I'm not comparing size/weight... mine was made from 4mm $ Tree type foam and only a single KF step on top. Yours is much beefier and sleek ;-).

Couple questions for you:

- do you have any angles on your motor?
- what technique do you use to get those cool checker board stabs? ;-)

Cheers,
J

Thank you!

Motor is 0 degree.
The checkers is a $3 stencil from the local craft store applied in a sloppy, overspray which gives more shade detail, but done lightly.
Paint is Krylon, nothing special.
Note: all the paints I use WILL eat the foam if one does not use light coats.
So one can use virtually any paint on depron, cellfoam, etc., if careful.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 07:05 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,738 Posts
Thanks Mike.

Looks like a fun and fast little wonder. I see you're running 3S and what looks to be a 10g hextronic-like motor?? I see the plush 6 too? I didn't see the specs on the hardware.... can you post them here please?

I'm running 3400 kv on 2S on my wing... can't go 3S with the ESC I have - hmm... err... well, maybe I can, but I might fry it. Running BLHeli on a RCTimer'ish 6A ESC. Love the throttle response (using the MULTI settings/hex files). But spec says only 2S.

Time to move to a 3S capable ESC .... pulling out my Plush!

Cheers,
J
Old Sep 04, 2013, 07:18 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
Thanks Mike.

Looks like a fun and fast little wonder. I see you're running 3S and what looks to be a 10g hextronic-like motor?? I see the plush 6 too? I didn't see the specs on the hardware.... can you post them here please?

I'm running 3400 kv on 2S on my wing... can't go 3S with the ESC I have - hmm... err... well, maybe I can, but I might fry it. Running BLHeli on a RCTimer'ish 6A ESC. Love the throttle response (using the MULTI settings/hex files). But spec says only 2S.

Time to move to a 3S capable ESC .... pulling out my Plush!

Cheers,
J
17g HK 2211-2300 with 5.25x3.5" Eflight prop
360-460 4s (self-wired) with plush 10 in the vid.
HK 3g. digital servo.
It is 65w on 3s, and 100w on 4s, 10.5-16 oz thrust on 5.5-6.2 oz!
Old Sep 04, 2013, 08:15 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
17g HK 2211-2300 with 5.25x3.5" Eflight prop
360-460 4s (self-wired) with plush 10 in the vid.
HK 3g. digital servo.
It is 65w on 3s, and 100w on 4s, 10.5-16 oz thrust on 5.5-6.2 oz!
My kind of power ;-) Thanks!
Old Sep 04, 2013, 10:20 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
445 Posts
Tip stalls must be fun
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow