HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Vaterra’s Glamis Uno by Horizon Hobby

Author Matt Gunn reviews the latest off-road offering from Horizon Hobby.

Splash

Introduction

Product:Glamis Uno
Retail Price:$399.99
Wheelbase:13.7 in (347mm)
Width:11.41 in (290mm)
Weight:6.75 lbs (3.06kg)
Ground clearance:1.97 in (50mm)
ESC:Dynamite 70A Waterproof Sensorless Brushless ESC
Motor:Dynamite Fuze 540 4-Pole 3300Kv Sensorless Brushless Motor
Battery:Dynamite 2S 7.4V 3000mAh Li-Po Battery
Transmitter:Spektrum DX2L 2.4GHz with Batteries

The Glamis Uno from Vaterra is a high-performance rear wheel drive buggy in the popular 1/8th scale. Styled and named after the sand rails that inhabit the southern-California desert, the Glamis Uno is capable of throwing twin roosts of sand just like it's full-scale counterparts. But the Uno is no one-trick-pony; it's equally at home in the dirt, or tearing up the trails.

Let's take a closer look at this versatile buggy and everything that's included.

Kit Contents

The Glamis Uno comes complete with everything you need to get it into it's natural habitat quickly; charge the included 2s 3000mAh lipo and install 4 AA batteries in the transmitter, and it's ready to take on whatever terrain you throw at it.

Arriving fully built with no additional assembly required; the Glamis Uno is a true ready-to-run package. The chassis is setup fairly neutral from the factory, with a few degrees of toe out on the front wheels, and two spacers on each rear shock for a level ride height.

The electronics included with the Glamis Uno are waterproof and capable of encounters with the wet stuff, such as crossing a stream or busting up some puddles (see the manual for waterproofing standards). In the above photo, you can see the waterproof on/off switch.

The pre-painted lexan body is held securely to the chassis with 5 body pins. The 2 rear pins are a bit difficult to get a hold of, as they are positioned behind the read shock. two more body pins are located on the side of the tub, and one on the front behind the shock tower. The front off-road lights and lexan nose are held on by a pair of hidden body clips behind the front bumper. If I had to assign a rating to the task of removing the body (who doesn't?!), then I would give it a C. Fumbling with those rear clips and bending the lexan body around the roll cage is a little bit of work.

The backbone of the Glamis Uno is a beefy extruded aluminum chassis. All components, including the molded plastic roll cage, and front and rear shock towers, tie into the frame.

The radio box fits snugly between the rails of the aluminum chassis and features a locking switch and a rubber seal on the lid to keep water and dirt from entering. There's a pair of rubber covers on top of the lid that don't serve a purpose with this buggy; I'm assuming the radio box is interchangeable with another vehicle...

Vaterra installed a unique locking battery-compartment on the bottom of the Glamis Uno's chassis. By turning the dial, the hatch can be opened from the front, and securely closed with no chance of unlocking open while driving. It's pretty tight in the compartment, but there's room for a number of different sized LiPo batteries, including the giant Speedpack Platinum 11.1V 5200mAh 3S 50C

The Glamis Uno features oil-filled dampers at all four corners. The front 95mm shocks and read 114mm shocks are plastic/composite with anodized green reservoir caps. Rubber dust covers keep dirt from accumulating on the shock shaft and contaminating the oil.

The Glamis Uno's ESC and motor were chosen to provide exceptional power while also being reliable and durable; both the esc and 3300Kv motor are water and dust resistant. The Dynamite 70A esc features a fast spinning fan to keep the unit nice and cool while you're making hot laps in the dirt. It's fully programmable and comes prewired with the Horizon Hobby standard EC3 connector. For those of you wanting to increase power to the rear wheels, the esc can handle up to 6000KV motors on 2S, and up to 4000KV motors on 3S.

Power is transferred through a 24-tooth pinion at 48 pitch, an 87-tooth spur gear mounted to a slipper clutch assembly, and out through a metal-gear differential. The 24-tooth pinion, installed at the factory , is for the included 2S LiPo. If you plan on using a 3S pack, you'll need to install the included 20-tooth pinion.

One thing I look for in any vehicle is the fit between parts, especially where the suspension arms meet the chassis at the hinge pins and the tolerances between the hubs and the suspension arms. The Glamis Uno had no noticeable slop or play in any components.

Included accessories

The Spektrum DX2L is a pretty decent unit to be included in a ready-to-run package. The transmitter features the standard 3 knobs for steering trim, throttle trim, and steering rate. There are endpoint adjustment pots on the top of the case, as well as reverse switches for the throttle and steering. The throttle limit switch on top of the case comes in handy when running a powerful 3s LiPo; the ability to adjust the gain on the throttle allows you to concentrate on navigating, and not just spinning the wheels endlessly. The transmitter is very solid in your hands, and the foam steering wheel feels like it belongs on a higher-end unit. There's even a nifty bind plug compartment on the back of the pistol grip. The DX2L is compatible with all Spektrum DSM and DSM2 receivers. The unit is powered by 4 AA batteries.

Setup

The Glamis Uno is well-setup from the factory and doesn't require any adjustments; it handles great in stock form. You will need to install the included AA batteries in the Spektrum DX2L transmitter and charge the 2s Lipo.

Driving

The first thing I noticed as I turned on my transmitter and flipped the waterproof switch on the side of the Glamis Uno, was the sweet hum of the Dynamite 70A esc's cooling fan; don't take it's small size for granted, it turns some impressive rpm's as it dissipates heat from the anodized-red cooling fins. With the Glamis Uno powered up, I did a quick lock-to-lock steering check; the S6170 waterproof servo had more than adequate speed and torque for this 1/8th scale buggy. Being a digital servo, the wheels centered accurately as well.

Powered by the included 2s 3000mAh LiPo, the Glamis Uno has more than enough power to churn up the dirt beneath its massive Tetrapod 50mm rear tires and send it flying in the form of two beautiful rooster tails. Whether the off-road surface is hard packed or loose, the tread pattern on the rear tires hooks up quite well, and the ribbed front tires do an exceptional job of pointing the front end wherever you point it. For the review photo shoot, I was running the Glamis Uno is some very dry Georgia red clay, which amounts to a fine dust at best. I was very surprised at how well the Glamis Uno held its lines at wide-open throttle as it flew over the ruts left by the large 1/5th scale gassers I was running with that day.

Driving time was around 10 minutes on the 2s 3000mAh pack, which in on par with most ready-to-run vehicles in this size and power category. However, the included Dynamite wall charge was painfully slow to top off the LiPo. If you want to minimize your downtime between packs, I would suggest inventing in another LiPo and a dedicated smart charger such as the Dynamite Passport UltraForce 200W charger.

Towards the end of the day, a slight leak developed at the left-rear shock cap, as evident by the caked on dirt in action photo a6 below. If you do notice a shock leak, it's best to address it as soon as possible to prevent further loss of shock oil and contamination. For casual bashing, you can get away with just cleaning the cap and tightening it back down, but if you've let it go for a while, its best to dump the oil, clean the shock reservoir out, then add some fresh oil.

Photo Gallery

Conclusion

The Glamis Uno is a 1/8th scale buggy named after the famous sand dunes of Southern California, but this electric ready-to-run platform is equally at home in the dirt, grass, trails, or wherever you see fit. Vaterra has included a powerful, yet dependable Dynamite electronics package with the Glamis Uno, but for those of you itching to upgrade, there are multiple motors and battery packs in different power levels available through Horizon Hobby.

Due to the tight tolerances of parts, high quality and durability of components, I would rate the Glamis Uno as a great value for the money. If you're looking for a high performance basher that isn't the standard monster truck design, I would highly recommend the Glamis Uno.

Pluses

• Handles great; very stable with no bad habits.
  • Parts construction, fit and finish, and electronics package are all of high quality. No broken parts during testing.

Minuses

• Decal on the rear wing was "slightly" crooked.

Credits

A big thanks goes out to RCGroups member pecanpatch for driving assistance during the review.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Oct 16, 2013 at 03:00 PM..

Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2013, 06:40 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,766 Posts
Reserved for updates
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:06 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,580 Posts
Beautifully illustrated review Matt!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vaterra Ford Raptor with AVC
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:28 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,388 Posts
Was there any text in this review? I was distracted by the amazingly sharp photography!

Nice job, Matt!

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,885 Posts
I think the photos sell the car better than the original HH adverts. Good job.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,766 Posts
LOL. Thanks gents. Lets tell HH that; Maybe they will hire me (looking for a career in the industry).

Best,
Matt
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 02:00 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,580 Posts
Quote:
Maybe they will hire me (looking for a career in the industry)
You and I both Matt!

Seriously though, you seem to just keep taking your skills up to higher levels with each project. But be careful what you wish for, eh?
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vaterra Ford Raptor with AVC
Old Oct 17, 2013, 02:10 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I think the photos sell the car better than the original HH adverts. Good job.
+1

Nice review as well. What camera and lens?
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Oct 18, 2013, 03:04 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,248 Posts
I've always loved the looks, size and build quality of this buggy. Never could talk myself into getting it though. I wish they would release a kit version with no electronics. I want to build this! From what I've heard, any similarities between this and the much larger HPI Baja are not accidental.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 01:50 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,693 Posts
Great review and amazing pics! Vaterra is making some really nice stuff.

Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Oct 22, 2013, 02:32 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,290 Posts
What a sweet ride! Love it.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Oct 22, 2013, 02:36 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
4,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
From what I've heard, any similarities between this and the much larger HPI Baja are not accidental.
It really is the essence of the HPI Baja in a smaller form.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:59 PM
USA, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jan 2009
99 Posts
I've had this for some time now, and by far my favorite on four wheels. Only issue is that the fan broke two blades on my second run at a local clay track. I could have sent the esc back (horizon does not sell the cooling fan separately), but that would've meant I'd be down two weeks. Opted to buy a fan to replace ($10) to keep me running, unfortunately, same problem. Horizon should have screened off the esc to prevent pebbles from damaging the cooling fan. My LHS did replace the fan but I have yet to install it. I have been running without, but I check my temps so as not to burn out the esc. So far it hasn't been an issue. Well worth the $400 spent on a single purchase, way more than any rc plane or boat I've owned. If they come out with a 4wd version, my wife will kill me.
joeyjoed1 is offline Find More Posts by joeyjoed1
Last edited by joeyjoed1; Oct 23, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 02:33 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,248 Posts
Yeah, 4wd would have probably sealed the deal for me when I was looking at this one. It came down to the Glamis Uno or the Vorza and 4wd won.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:29 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,090 Posts
That was big Fun driving that Vaterra.... Nice review Matt!
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch