HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:49 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
I dont know what I am doing, and I think it is helping me!

I have been flying my micro heli indoors for a couple of weeks now. Was talking to one of the guys last night and mentioned that I would like to build a plane for the gym, but dont have a motor or GB. 2 minutes later I was holding my very own gws C geared speed300 setup! ( I dont know anything about how these things are named, just that it has a C on the big gear and the motor is the same I have in my heli, and that is a GWS speed 300, I think the package said 350 or 370, but I dont know, it says mabuchi 7A on the side of the can). After the night of flying was given a handful of 3mm and 6mm depron too! SO, I have never worked with this stuff before so I dug in my heels and away I went.
I figured the best thing to do is run a square stick end to end in the plane and attach everything to it. Dont know if I am doing anything "right or wrong" but it looks pretty good so far.
It will be loosely modeled after the Cutie/Acro Pro from SR.
Wingspan about 36" Chord 8" plus ailerons.
I am thinking about making the wing fully symmetrical. Any suggestions on this?
Comments?
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:50 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
nother, no flash, it looks way nicer actually
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:18 AM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
Looks really good so far...especially good for a first shot..

I'm not seeing how the batteries are going to be mounted, although I'm sure that you know to stick to 7.2-8.4 V...open up the belly and place them with a velcro band to the stick? I've found it best to keep the weight below the centerline of the thrust..

I'm not sure how long the fuse is, so it's hard to tell if the 36x8 wing will be appropriate...

when looking for where to place the gear, remember that CG will be around 1/3 back from the leading edge of the wing chord...good luck on your first shot...

Oh yea, you'll probably want to run either a 10x4.7 or 10x8 prop on the "C" geared box...Motocalc would help, those props will get you in the "ballpark"...keep us posted
roguewolf is offline Find More Posts by roguewolf
Last edited by sierra aardvark; Feb 10, 2004 at 01:32 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 09:14 AM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
The fuse is 30" long. There is plenty of room to put the radio and battery pretty much anywhere. I will be using both a Kokam 1500 2s as well as some NiMh 8 cell 700's while the kokam is charging, so I am going to wait until I am further along before I decide on a position for the batteries. I will probably glue a plate to the square stick and velcro the batteries to that.
I have a bulkhead where the leading edge of the wing will be and I am going to make a carbon fiber LG and mount it to that bulkhead.
Any suggestions on airfoil shape? I had planned on going with a fully symmetrical wing, but the gym is somewhat small, so I was thinking that a flat bottom or undercamber might work better, but that would take away the aerobatic capabilities that I want. I plan on putting a strip of carbon tape on the inside top and bottom and put a 1/8 X 1" balsa spar on edge from end to end as an I beam.
Thanks for the encouragement, I already have a 10 X 4.7 prop and was going to get a 10 X 8 for it too.
co
Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:12 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
I think that the fuse length will match up pretty well with the wing you have planned out....

Stick with the full sym airfoil, don't worry about the wing not flying slow, that issue is really determined by the weight of the plane....I've got a staggerwing bipe with full sym airfoil and it will slow down to walking speed almost...

It looks like you're going in the right direction, keep it up and let us know how it flys..
Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:20 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
Thanks, it is coming along nicely. I am going with some right thrust on the motor, no down thrust and wing and stab at 0 degrees angle of incidence. Got the stab and elevator cut, working on the vertical fin now.
The Depron is a little warped for the stab, what do I do about that?
co
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:35 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
With the bluecor planes that I've built....when I use a single layer of foam (+/- 6mm) I usually have a warped surface, to solve this, I always cover single layer foam with Solite film (really lightweight covering), that way if I end up with a warped surface, I can use the heat gun to warp it back to straight by tightening the covering material...

Being new to planes and especially foamies, you may not have a bunch of Solite laying around. I could send you some free Solite if you have access to a heat iron and heat gun (I've got a lot of cub yellow, drab green, black, dark blue, silver and transparent blue)...let me know the dimensions and I'll cut some and send it out.

By the way, I think you're going the right direction on the wing and horizontal stab incidence....don't go to far on the right thrust correction until you fly it...the smaller prop's (10x4.7/8) probably won't need much correction with the EPS300C-C

Yo, people....it would be nice if some others in the group that have more Depron experience than me would add something to this thread............sorry for the venting, but this plane is looking pretty cool, actually way cool for a first shot.....
Last edited by sierra aardvark; Feb 10, 2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:02 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
I was considering making a 2 surface horizontal stab, but it seemed a little high on the fiddly side. I might just try it anyway, It would be high in cool factor to have an airfoil shape to the stab.
Th right thrust I built in was just a guess, I cut a sliver off the mounting stick and glued it to the other side. It looks like a couple or 3 degrees.
Thanks for the offer of solite. I will try the double surface stab, and if that doesn't work out, I will take you up on your offer.
I post a lot in other forums, and try to offer as much as I can to others. It is encouraging when people take the time to help out someone who is new.
co
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:14 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
Alot of the doubled surfaces that I make....I lay in a little glue, spread it around and then wrap in wax paper and put a couple of bricks on top to keep it flat while drying....
Last edited by sierra aardvark; Feb 10, 2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 06:48 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
It is coming along nicely now. I got the wing done, except for the tips and ailerons. It looks like an airplane now!
I am wondering what wing loading I should be shooting for for indoor flying. With the kitchen scale I have, it looks like I am going to hit 16-17 oz. I will have 2.3 square feet of wing plus ailerons, so that will be around 2.75 sq feet. At a weight of 17 oz, that will give me 5.8 oz/sq' or 7.4oz/sq' if you dont include the ailerons.
My instincts say that this should be OK.
I am going to post a pic in a few minutes.
co
Old Feb 11, 2004, 06:52 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
the only thing I am not happy with is the cabane's and the wing mount. They should be more under the wing and less bulky, but I think it has to stay that way now that it is done.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 07:05 PM
MEDIC!!!!!!!
Near Fresno, California
Joined Sep 2002
1,741 Posts
Your wing loading is well within the indoor flyer ballpark....I agree about the wing mount/cabane...apologies, but kinda ugly

the wing mount balsa in front and behind the cabanes isn't buying you anything in strength, get out the hacksaw and it will help with the aesthetics..

Otherwise, it looks really great and hope you'll post the in-flight stuff.....
Old Feb 11, 2004, 08:01 PM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,134 Posts
Yup, I am going to trim them down and then add a little bit of 1/64 ply so the elastics wont snap the balsa. (I am going to hold the wings on with elastics)
co