HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2001, 03:33 AM
Jim in Santee
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
Is this a speed control problem???

I have a Tango glider with an Aveox A-15 speed control and I'm having some really weird behavior. This is what happens:

I test the speed control while holding the plane in one hand and the transmitter in the other ( with the antenna collapsed). Everything works fine.

I then extend the transmitter antenna the full length and when I apply throttle, the motor only runs at a slow speed. But then when I rotate the transmitter to make the antenna horizontal, the motor speeds up to full throttle. Is this weird or what!!!???

I tried swapping receivers and transmitters and get the same behavior. My conclusion so far is that there is something wrong with the speed controller.

Any ideas???

Jim
jshelton is offline Find More Posts by jshelton
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2001, 05:09 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,687 Posts
It sounds as if you're just swamping the receiver. Try doing a standard range check with someone else holding the plane and I bet everything will work normally.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 07, 2001, 08:43 AM
Canada, NS, Lunenburg
Joined Oct 1999
3,863 Posts
Yes. Almost definitely swamping. If it range checks OK with the aerial down, and near the limit of the range the motor operates OK, it's fine.
DaveSawers is offline Find More Posts by DaveSawers
Old Dec 10, 2001, 06:31 AM
Jim in Santee
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
It was the speed control!!!

After a lot of testing I narrowed down the problem to the speed control. I tried different receivers and transmitters and the problems persisted until I changed out the speed control. So far, I can't get the problem to occur with the new setup.

The Aveox A-15 is on it's way to the trash. I'll wait until I can do a bit more testing before I actually "retire" it.

Jim
jshelton is offline Find More Posts by jshelton