HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:05 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
795 Posts
Discussion
Mid Wing RC plane After High Wing

Ok would like some different people tell me about mid wing rc planes. Well this be better than a low wing after a high wing. Like 3 different steps of rc to master.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Them Old time Simulators.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:22 PM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
I have both types, but it really depends on the wing size and shape. Narrow wings on both mid and low can be notorious for tip stalls especially the more they taper, and therefore require more speed to keep lift and avoid the stall. Wide wings with wide tips help with more lift and therefore doesn't require as much speed.
Fly a high wing inverted and it can be a pig, wanting to lift or lower the nose and will require careful trimming to try and find a happy medium. Fly a low wing inverted, and the same happens. Fly a mid wing inverted (like most 3D types) and it will be a lot more happier and can be trimmed to fly just as good either way up.

Personally so long as you have the basics of straight and level flight on a high wing, either plane will be ok, but will take a little to get used to. What planes are you looking at?
My Mustang is a lot easier to fly than my similar sized Spitfire, but the Mustang has a narrower wing chord at the root to mid point than the Spitfire, but has squarer wing tips. The Spit has a wide root but narrows severely all the way to point at the tip, therefore tip stalls at a higher speed than the 'Stang.
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Apr 2013
795 Posts
I can just fly my spitfire on a good day any wind and control for me is out of the Question. i had good luck with my turns on a 4 channel but if the wind get the plane going I'm loss and in for a crash. I was thinking I made to big a jump.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:45 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,772 Posts
the little spit is easy to fly - you just have to practice more. it handles wind real well too. again, practice.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:48 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,367 Posts
If you can fly a 4 channel high wing, like say the Apprentice well- inverted or upright, coordinated turns using rudder, cross wind landings...

You might think about the Handy Man or larger Handy King on appropriately low rates. Relatively cheap and tough, easy to repair. Knife edge well, and fun in high-ish winds.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:22 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I like midwing over all, because they usually do aerobatics easier, so it makes my parkflying just more fun.
I usually get a EPP Hacker Zoom or SuperZoom and set it up as a parkflyer, built light.
Then they will hand launch straight up, land slow enough to catch and can be flown in a small area, even in the street in front of the house.
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:09 AM
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
794 Posts
I'd recommend going with a Stik. Been around for about 40 years, shoulder wing, stable, quick, basic aerobatics, lands nice, overall a great second plane and something you can always have fun flying years from now.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2013, 06:21 AM
Joined Apr 2013
795 Posts
Thanks I wrote all this down well look at all these planes and practice the spitfire when the parts come in to get her back to gather.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:46 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,047 Posts
If that's the mini Spitfire your flying, that's part of the problem Papa. To twitchy in the wind. Get a bigger one like Butch mentioned. Those planes are made from EPP or EPO foam and are vey rugged having had the Super Zoom for many yrs. Other thing like CMDL says, practice, practice practice. Won't take long to catch on.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
wing change

changing from top wing to midwing or bottom wing have different abilitiies
Think of this while thinking of changing wing location

TOP WING: This is designed to give lift and slow flyer
MID-WING: designed for some lift and some agility(manouvers)
BOTTOM-WING: major agility (manouvers, stunts,3d,sport)
BI-WING(bi-plane): top wing for lift and bottom wing agility

So with the above it is some thing to think about

Personaly i love the bi-wing. you have the best of both worlds. lift and the agility
helifreak1 is offline Find More Posts by helifreak1
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:16 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papadwight View Post
I can just fly my spitfire on a good day any wind and control for me is out of the Question. ...
Try an Orange 3-axis stabilizer, that's what they're for...
FlyBoy20 is online now Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:42 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifreak1 View Post

Personaly i love the bi-wing. you have the best of both worlds. lift and the agility
Where in the world did you get this information?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Where in the world did you get this information?
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifreak1 View Post

I would love to know where you got this information, since most of it is misleading or straight out wrong.

Top wing position does not give more lift. Lift is a function of wing design and angle of incidence. For example, an undercamber wing at the mid-wing position will provide a lot more lift than a similarly sized symmetrical wing at the high position.

The mid-wing position provides the greatest amount of "agility", not the bottom wing position.

Take a broomstick and hold it with just your thumb and pointer finger. First hold it at one end so that the stick hangs down. Feel how stable it is. Now try to spin it; not very easy. This is comparable to the high wing position. Now hold the stick at the end so that it goes straight up from your hand. Now try to spin it. The stick was very unstable and awkward to spin, but easier to spin then when it was hanging down. This is your bottom wing position. Now hold it at the center, then try to spin it. Not as stable as when it was hanging down, but a lot more stable then when it was sticking up. Spinning is very easy. This is the mid-wing position.

The Bi-plane does not give a great combination of lift and agility. What it gives is a significantly reduced wing loading, but increased drag.

For a beginner, the stability of a high wing is usually the best choice. For maneuverability for 3D flying, the mid-wing is best. For cool looking slow flying, a bi-wing can't be beat.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L