HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

MKS Servos HV9767 & HV9780 High Voltage Mini Servos - Review

MKS Servos' new high voltage, high quality set of new mini servos, perfect for 500 class helis.

Splash

Introduction

HV9767 HV9780
Torque:6.8 kg-cm (6.0V), 8.5 kg-cm (7.4V), 9.4 kg-cm (8.2V) 3.3 kg-cm (6.0V), 4.0 kg-cm (7.4V), 4.5 kg-cm (8.2V)
Speed:0.090 s (6.0V), 0.078 s (7.4V), 0.070 s (8.2V) 0.055 s (6.0V), 0.045 s (7.4V), 0.040 s (8.2V)
Weight:38.55 g 38.55 g
Frequency:1520μs / 333hz 760μs / 560hz
Dead Band:0.001 ms (Default) 0.001 ms (Default)
Bearing Type:2BB 2BB
Dimensions:35.5 x 15 x 28.5 mm 35.5 x 15 x 28.5 mm
Motor Type:Coreless Motor Coreless Motor
Gear Type:Chrome-Titanium alloy gear Chrome-Titanium alloy gear
Current Draw:2.6A max.(8.2V), 2.4A max.(7.4V), 2.0A max (6.0V)2.6A max.(8.2V), 2.4A max.(7.4V), 2.0A max (6.0V)
Manufactured By:MKS Servos
Set Price:$368 (3x HV9767, 1x HV9780)
Available From:MKS Dealers

The modern 500 class helicopter is a great size heli, capable of awesome power and speeds. As a result, servo manufacturers are starting to realize that high voltage mini servos are now in demand. I'm sure we will see many choices released in the future, and MKS Servos is no exception. MKS have created the new HV9767 cyclic servo and HV9780 tail servo, both high voltage mini servos. With an all aluminum case, and built with MKS' attention to quality, we now have a new option for our 500 sized helis.

For the purposes of this review, I used the SAB Goblin 500 helicopter. I really wanted to use the HV9767 for the cyclic, and had to overcome the small issue of using the HV9780 in the full size servo slot for the tail. MKS have since made an adapter for this, which should be shipping by the time this review is published. To take advantage of the high voltage nature of the new mini servo , I used a 7.4V two cell lipo for power, directly into the receiver.

Contents

The set of servos that I received were the first set in the USA, and as such the packaging was not quite ready in time. They will ultimately ship in the same packaging as most other MKS servos, complete with a standard set of plastic servo arms and mounting hardware.

The Servos

The servo casing is all aluminum, and extremely well made. The servos have a unique shape, curved on one end, but flat on the other, and a two tone finish with the servo markings printed clearly on the side. The aluminum housing is a great choice for HV servos, as the heat generated from HV usage is quickly dissipated through the casing just like a heat sink.

The servos feature two sets of case screws, one set through the top, and the second set through the bottom. This makes it easier to remove the top part of the case for gear maintenance/replacement without having to deal with the bottom half of the servo case coming apart.

The good looks of these servos are backed up by some impressive numbers. I've taken the liberty of converting the torque specs from kg-cm to oz-in. The HV9767 cyclic servo is listed as 9.4 kg-cm at 8.4V, which when converted is 130.5 oz-in. The HV9780 tail servo is listed as 4.5 kg-cm at 8.4V, or 62.5 oz-in. Combined with the chrome-titanium gears, and high speed capability, this servo is definitely lined up to be a winner.

Installation

The HV9767 cyclic servos are a direct fit on the Goblin 500. I used the included plastic arms initially, as time was short and I wanted to have the model finished for display at IRCHA (if you were at IRCHA, you probably saw this model at the MKS booth). The servos look pretty cool mounted to the Goblin mechanics, which have a pretty cool look to begin with; they are a good match.

The HV9780 tail servo needed a little more head scratching before being able to install it. The Goblin 500 is designed to use a full size tail servo, and the HV9780 is obviously a little smaller being a mini servo. There are some third party mounts that will allow you to install a mini servo in a standard size servo slot, however I was unable to find something that was the exact size. MKS were working on a solution at the time, but I needed to come up with something myself. The result was a two piece carbon fiber clamp, that did a perfect job of holding the tail servo in place. I started out with a balsa test jig, and then fabricated the clamps from an old broken Goblin 700 landing gear skid (gotta keep it in the family!). I have many flights on the Goblin 500 now, and the clamps are working out perfectly.

CustomHeliParts.com Servo Mount

After my installation, MKS worked with CustomHeliParts.com to bring you a servo mount specifically for this application. Priced at $11.99, and available straight from CustomHeliParts.com, it now only takes a minute to convert your 500 to a mini sized tail servo.

Servo Arms

While the included servo arms are good for some applications, under the high strain of cyclic use you really need to use something a little stronger. The plastic arms may work for a short time, but if you fly 3D you run the risk of them eventually failing.

I happened to meet Alan Moulton from Superstition Hobbies while at IRCHA. Alan imports the SEcraft line of R/C accessories, including their servo arms. Alan showed me how they work, and I knew that these were the arms that I needed to put on my servos. The arms are made out of aluminum, strong, but light. The arms are not tapered, which while making it a little difficult to install, ensures that there is absolutely no slop in the servo arm. The holes are tapped, and fit the hardware from the Goblin without any modifications. The special screw and washer are tapered, and help spread the load on the servo arm when tightening the screw. They also look great, and are a perfect match for the MKS servos. For my Goblin, using the Futaba CGY750, the 15mm servo arms seemed to be the best fit.

Flying

What was immediately apparent about these servos, was how precise they were. During setup I found that the servos had excellent centering, and this was very apparent in flight. The cyclic felt very crisp, and the power of the heli, along with the speed of the servos, gave the Goblin a lot of collective "pop". The Goblin 500 is a beast of a heli to begin with, and the MKS servos gave complete control over that power. Fast forward and backward flight tracked perfectly, and the servos handled everything I could throw at them with ease.

The tail servo was just phenomenal. Even though the Goblin 500 was designed for a full size tail servo, the MKS HV9780 was more than a match for the helicopter. The tail was strong and precise, with no signs of blowing out in any situation. It was also very precise, starting and stopping exactly where I wanted it to, it definitely worked well with the Futaba CGY750. I checked the temperature after each flight, and as expected the servos were hot to the touch, and the heat quickly dissipated through the aluminum case.

Video

Conclusion

These new mini servos are a great addition to the MKS line up. They are well made, strong, and fast, everything you need for a 500 class helicopter (or any other project requiring an HV mini servo). The cyclic and tail combo work great together, and at a price point that won't break the bank.

I'd like to thank MKS Servos USA for providing these servos for review, and Superstition Hobbies for the SEcraft servo arms.

Pros Cons
Fast & Precise None Yet
Nice Finish
Slop Free

Last edited by CSpaced; Sep 04, 2013 at 01:08 PM..

Discussion

Old Sep 04, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,876 Posts
Nice review! Will these servos work well on a 600 size heli?
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 04, 2013, 03:14 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Nice review! Will these servos work well on a 600 size heli?
These are mini sized servos, and generally 600 sized helis use standard size servos. MKS has a full line though, check out their standard size servos.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2013, 03:34 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,487 Posts
MKS are great looking and well built; I just got 4 of the mks65's for my DLG and am very excited about them.

My only gripe is that I wish they would have included more than one servo arm with the mks65... I would have expected more than one arm with a $60 servo

Other than that, the reports have all been very positive on MKS and I plan on using them in other large 3D ships.
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Sep 04, 2013, 05:33 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Incredible review!

I'm thinking of using these on my AJ Slick 59. Would the HV9767 work on a plane okay?

Many thanks
RCPilot1234 is online now Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Sep 04, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
These are mini sized servos, and generally 600 sized helis use standard size servos. MKS has a full line though, check out their standard size servos.
Well since they'll offer custom servo mounts to use these minis in standard slots I'm thinking of using these instead. The specs indicate they have enough torque for a 600.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 08:31 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Well since they'll offer custom servo mounts to use these minis in standard slots I'm thinking of using these instead. The specs indicate they have enough torque for a 600.
While the mount will work that way, bear in mind that it was an idea born out of the desire to use all minis in the Goblin 500. If you do end up using them, I'd be interested to hear about your experience with them in a 600.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2013, 08:34 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Incredible review!

I'm thinking of using these on my AJ Slick 59. Would the HV9767 work on a plane okay?

Many thanks
Thanks, as long as the servo meets the minimum torque requirement for the airplane, I don't see why not.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,876 Posts
Will do.
Old Sep 04, 2013, 10:54 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,896 Posts
Fantastic review as always, Chris. Those servos are works of art! I can only imagine what they'd look like in person on your Goblin.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Sep 05, 2013, 05:46 AM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSpaced View Post
Thanks, as long as the servo meets the minimum torque requirement for the airplane, I don't see why not.
Many thanks!
RCPilot1234 is online now Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Sep 06, 2013, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
MKS Servos

These servos are great. I opted to wait for the release of these servos to install in my Goblin 500. There were other options, but I felt there was more value to these particular servos - quality, aesthetics, and in my experience #1 in customer service. Before these were available I ran my Goblin 500 with full size Align 615 cyclics and a MKS 980 tail. With full size servos on the G500, I expected to get very good performance (which I did). No stalling, responsiveness, and resiliency in crashes.

To compare, the 9767HV servos are nothing short of impressive. They have a very linear feel and is very responsive. The quality is unquestionable. When I took them out of the box set, the first thing I noticed was the fine details and quality of these servos. In my opinion, and I think many would agree, MKS servos are pretty damn sexy looking and they compliment any model out there - especially the Goblin 500 as the airframe has its own exotic design and a high bling factor! One thing I wanted to add was that there was absolutely no play in the servo horn and output gear. I used Seacraft horns as well as Mikado CF horns. Both were a tight and precise fit.

To conclude, with the weight reduction and increased performance of these mini servos I felt that just the quality and aesthetics of the 9767HV servos far exceeded the small difference in price compared to Align's 615 servos. Don't get me wrong, Align servos aren't bad. I just I felt that these 9767HVs offer far greater value.

Once I get my hands on one of those CHP adapters for the tail servo I can post some pics and updates as to how the tail holds. One thing for sure... I will be saving even more weight switching from a 980HV to the 9780 tail. Less weight = more performance, right?
robv is offline Find More Posts by robv
Old Sep 09, 2013, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
robv

The adaptors are availabe on the website
http://customheliparts.com/store/ind...product_id=432

They also have corrected servo plates for the offset in the output shaft of the MKS HV servos as well as a zero degree tool.

Jeff
IFlyAnythingCHP is offline Find More Posts by IFlyAnythingCHP
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:37 AM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
987 Posts
robv, could I ask what have you for a bec? Lovely servos, by the looks of it, and at least the amp draw has been specified.

Thanks for letting us know they're out, Chris.
spykez is offline Find More Posts by spykez
Old Sep 24, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
90 Posts
The HV9767 and HV9780 are now available individually!

http://www.mksservosusa.com/home.php?cat=25

Thanks,
Thomas
MKSservosUSA.com is offline Find More Posts by MKSservosUSA.com
Site Sponsor