9,310 Posts
New Product
Airfield/Top Model RC 800mm Skyraider A1 and Tempest

I saw this on Nitro Planes website

http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a360-800-a1-blue-arf.html
http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a360-800-a1-white-arf.html

http://www.nitroplanes.com/95a355-800-tempest-arf.html

Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Last edited by Mikemynameis; Aug 27, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:15 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Kinda likin' that Tempest. I got enough Warbirds though, I need a Bixler so I can do flight videos while I'm catchin' thermals...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:27 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,381 Posts
I am very interested in the Tempest! It even has the correct forward rake on the gear! And the correct 4 bladed prop! Very nice scale features! But I am curious about the motor KV. I am sure the 4 blade prop is going to pull some amps. But will it create enough thrust for an 800mm plane? I do see that it runs off of a 3S lipo. That could make the difference! Looking forward to a video review.
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:45 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
What's the stock motor's specs? On the Version 2 FMS Warbirds (I assuming this isn't) they've gone down to a 1700kv motor with the same 20A ESC for the 4 blade prop. I tried running a V.2 4 blader on a Version 1 1550kv setup, and the battery AND the ESC got considerably hotter than they would with their normal 3 blade prop on. At most a 1600kv? Some of the new ones have a 1300kv motor though...hmm...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:37 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Sep 2011
1,381 Posts
It's an 820KV motor.

Specification:
- Wing Span: 800mm ( 31.5in )
- Length: 625mm ( 24.6in )
- Thrust rate: 1:1
- Servo: 9g Servo X 4 (Installed)
- Landing Gear: Fixed Landing Gear (Included)
- Motor: 820Kv Outrunner Brushless Motor (Installed)
- ESC: 20A Brushless ESC (Installed)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2013, 05:37 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,310 Posts
Unboxing: Airfield Skyraider A1 800mm (6 min 36 sec)
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:50 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,310 Posts
Airfield A-1 Sky Raider 800mm Warbird Review (5 min 48 sec)
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:38 AM
Joined Nov 2012
11 Posts
I have ordered the Tempest from Hobby Paradise, took about seven days to ship to Europe. Nice. A small voltage tester was included in the box as a gift, a nice gesture.

The overall proportions seem to be very well done, much better than the much bigger Dynam one or the old 800mm FMS. The scale details are very good for its size. The Tempests protruding chin-cooler is of course an issue for potential damage. Therefore I took a silicon mould of it in order to be able to replace by some self-made part if necessary. I reinforced the stock chin with a light glass fabric for protection.

Some design peculiarities:
In order to chage the prop/spinner you have to remove the motor (wich explains the hole on top of the fuselage). The prop consists of four individual blades, like with much larger planes, wich is a very good thing if you damage just one blade. They are of course available as spare parts.
The fixed gear is very scale, maybe I try to mod it to retacts, we'll see...
The foam quality is very good, no alligator-skin and quite dense. All control horns are already installed an painted (wich is a great thing, as I hate the white plastic parts in otherwise scale appearances).

First impressions after maiden:
It flies perfectly balanced out of the box with 3S 1000mAh, no trim was needed with CG as indicated - well done! Take-offs are easy with little rudder, landings are a bit more challenging, its floats literally at very low speeds. The max speed is respectabe and it has power enough for all scale maneuvers. As I have no tools to measure amps and thrust this remains my personal impression.
I reduced the throws of all control surfaces to about 70% wich results in stable flight characteristics. Due to the invasion stripe markings it remains visible even at some distance despite its small size.

This small Tempest is a welcome addition to any warbird hangar, I can recommend it to anyone!
rare bird is offline Find More Posts by rare bird
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare bird View Post
I have ordered the Tempest from Hobby Paradise, took about seven days to ship to Europe. Nice. A small voltage tester was included in the box as a gift, a nice gesture.

The overall proportions seem to be very well done, much better than the much bigger Dynam one or the old 800mm FMS. The scale details are very good for its size. The Tempests protruding chin-cooler is of course an issue for potential damage. Therefore I took a silicon mould of it in order to be able to replace by some self-made part if necessary. I reinforced the stock chin with a light glass fabric for protection.

In order to chage the prop/spinner you have to remove the motor (wich explains the hole on top of the fuselage). The prop consists of four individual blades, like with much larger planes, wich is a very good thing if you damage just one blade. They are of course available as spare parts.
The foam quality is very good, no alligator-skin and quite dense. All control horns are already installed an painted (wich is a great thing, as I hate the white plastic parts in otherwise scale appearances).

It flies perfectly balanced out of the box with 3S 1000mAh, no trim was needed with CG as indicated - well done! Take-offs are easy with little rudder, landings are a bit more challenging, its floats literally at very low speeds. The max speed is respectabe and it has power enough for all scale maneuvers. As I have no tools to measure amps and thrust this remains my personal impression.
I reduced the throws of all control surfaces to about 70% wich results in stable flight characteristics. Due to the invasion stripe markings it remains visible even at some distance despite its small size.

This small Tempest is a welcome addition to any warbird hangar, I can recommend it to anyone!
Im not sure if thats the same plane cause the one you got is from Top Model which has a 1300kv motor where the A-RC has a 850kv motor
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:17 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
Joined Sep 2011
1,381 Posts
The Airfield 800mm Tempest is made by Top RC. According to Top RC it's a 820KV motor. Also in Nitroplanes description they say it comes with a 3 blade prop. Which is obviously a typo.

http://www.toprchobby.com/ShowProducts.asp?ID=42
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by karltrek; Aug 27, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 01:26 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltrek View Post
The Airfield 800mm Tempest is made by Top RC. According to Top RC it's a 820KV motor. Also in Nitroplanes description they say it comes with a 3 blade prop. Which is obviously a typo.

http://www.toprchobby.com/ShowProducts.asp?ID=42
Maybe so
Old Apr 27, 2014, 02:43 AM
Joined Oct 2013
2 Posts
can you replace just the shaft on these motors, Or do you have to replace the whole motor?
brockd03 is offline Find More Posts by brockd03
Old Aug 02, 2014, 08:47 AM
United States, FL, Summerland Key
Joined Nov 2012
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rare bird View Post

I just received the Airfield Tempest from Nitro....$79 yesterday, looks great, wasn't sure about the prop change ,but after your post I see a screw head looking down the hole. I also received two packs of prop blades and had to change the ESC leads to Deans from the banana connections. I will also add a strip of carbon fiber under the wing as I don't think there is any reinforcing inside the wing.
I have not flown it yet as I'm still learning; crashing & repairing a few of my other planes.
Ronaldo35 is offline Find More Posts by Ronaldo35
Old Aug 03, 2014, 01:48 AM
I do random gravity checks
Joined Feb 2013
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo35 View Post
I just received the Airfield Tempest from Nitro....$79 yesterday, looks great, wasn't sure about the prop change ,but after your post I see a screw head looking down the hole. I also received two packs of prop blades and had to change the ESC leads to Deans from the banana connections. I will also add a strip of carbon fiber under the wing as I don't think there is any reinforcing inside the wing.
I have not flown it yet as I'm still learning; crashing & repairing a few of my other planes.
I got a tempest as well on the free shipping offer, couldnt pass it up. I must say it was totally worth it, getting about 10 minutes of flight time out of my 3s 1300mah, seems to have plenty of power with the 4 blade setup. My first true warbird and it is very forgiving, that said it will tip stall at a very low speed.

Takes off in about 10 feet and lands in about 20-30 feet. Would recommend as a third or forth plane.
shortbus1989 is offline Find More Posts by shortbus1989