HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by NashVegas, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:50 PM
Jus 1 more plane is all I need
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2013
809 Posts
Discussion
When battery packs go bad!

Maiden flight of my new Starmax 1600mm P47 ended with a bang. When battery packs go bad, foam can't stand the heat!!

It was mentally, and financially traumatic, but I have to admit, it was quite a sight to behold.

Stamax P47 Fire (0 min 9 sec)
NashVegas is online now Find More Posts by NashVegas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Extreme Flight 91" Yak
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:46 PM
<<x USMC
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jun 2010
669 Posts
sorry to see that! what ESC where you using? it could have been it as lipos usually just don't go up in flames unless punctured in a crash.
r0beert0 is offline Find More Posts by r0beert0
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:54 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,137 Posts
Richard,

Like I posted over in the Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt thread, I am very sorry to see this happen to your model and hope you and your wife can move on without too much heartache and emotional toll. Sometimes we get lucky with Electronics and sometimes we don't.

I do agree with r0beert0 that a Battery pack usually does not go up in flames like this. Of course the Battery "is" the fuel once something goes terribly wrong such as a short internally within the ESC or ESC fire and it spreads very quickly to the battery.

We are curious to learn what kind of ESC this model came with or which you installed?

I do realize that you may not want to answer just yet due to your grieving.

Take care my friend,
Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:14 AM
Jus 1 more plane is all I need
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2013
809 Posts
I bought the plane as a demo model, so it was preassembled. Not sure what brand ESC's Starmax uses in their planes, but I did pull this one out before flight, and verified that it was a 70amp ESC. I used 4S 4400mah battery which is what it called for.

Post fire, the ESC looked to be in tact, and believe it or not, the motor still spins, and seems to be fine.

Question: would the ESC show signs of being the culprit (blister or swelling) if it had gone bad?
NashVegas is online now Find More Posts by NashVegas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Extreme Flight 91" Yak
Old Sep 01, 2013, 10:49 AM
How's the wind today?
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
817 Posts
Sorry for your plane Nash.
A real eye opener. I really have to invest in a fire extinguisher. I've always worried about going down hard in dry grass. Be nice to have, at least, a small line of defense.
Rcbyair is offline Find More Posts by Rcbyair