HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:29 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,071 Posts
Discussion
What's the etiquette when someone hits your plane

First time in my life when someone does a bone head turn and flies right into me. I was flying first, straight line, very slow past the tree line, probably 250-300 feet high at our field when a large gasser goes up makes one pass and then for some stupid reason makes a right (in the center of the field not at the end) and clips my wing on a Top Model Prelude sailplane which is a $315 ARF. Safety officer comes up to the both of us and tells the other guy it was his fault, everyone that saw it knew that I was just flying a straight line.

So no offer was made to help fund the repair. The other guy tells me I should rebuild it. That's fine if you have that kind of skill set. I don't and it's the reason I buy ARF's. And I doubt with this kind of sailplane you could easily make a wing that will fly as well as it did.

So just curious what does the average club do in these kinds of issues?
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Last edited by gquiring; Aug 18, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:37 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,551 Posts
Accidents happen. It's very difficult to get something replaced. Used to be two reasons. One someone turned on without checking the frequency board. With 2.4 this is obsete. Second is a pit accident, stepping on a plane or taxi-ing into another plane.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,225 Posts
its always nobody's fault.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
Depron Daz
United Kingdom, England, Basingstoke
Joined Feb 2012
1,117 Posts
It's difficult because you are taking part in a sport which sadly does have these "accidents", therefore the risk is a known one, and if you choose to fly in a club with others, then the threat is always present when there are 2 or more flying at once.
It is also beneficial to have powered flight /sail planes/ heli's etc flying together in their respective groups rather than all at once to help prevent such accidents.
You may want to approach your safety officer and club chairman (if you have one?) and try to seek an agreeable outcome. Even if half of the costs to have it repaired/replaced to be honoured by the other pilot, providing of course you have the backing of your club.
Seeing as your safety officer witnessed it and spoke to the other pilot you are in a fairly strong position, but it still comes back to my first point. Does your club have rules which state no cross leg flying? If his move is deemed as dangerous then that may also go some way.

There is of course the civil law route????
Daz393 is offline Find More Posts by Daz393
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:54 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,225 Posts
next time, don't fly so close to other planes.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:56 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,712 Posts
I'm sorry, but I feel that a mid-air is just an accident. I'll pay for my plane, you pay for yours.
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:16 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,662 Posts
I'm just a newbie so take that into consideration...

I'm not living paycheck to paycheck and have a conscience, so if I hit someone else's plane I'd probably offer a little compensation....if I could barely afford to fly it might be a different matter. I also do agree you take a risk flying around other planes though.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:22 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee View Post
I'm sorry, but I feel that a mid-air is just an accident. I'll pay for my plane, you pay for yours.
Agreed. Mid airs can happen if flying with others in the air.
Its part of the hobby.

Noone's fault, BUT, an offer to assist/help pay the the gentleman's way in my opinion
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:27 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,257 Posts
The construction doesn't look all that exotic. I'd consider a rebuild. It looks like you'll need some hobby shop balsa and a replacement carbon tube.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:52 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,933 Posts
I agree that the person who ran into your plane should have apologized. If they felt it was their fault and they were truly in the wrong then I think they should have made an offer to help repair the wing or replace it.

I went flying today with the guy who owns the local hobby shop at a place I'd never flown with people I'd never flown with. They fly off of the dead end of a 5 lane road - nice paved runway to fly from. One of the guys planes got a bit squirrelly on rollout and managed to smack the bumper of my '11 VW Tiguan. Left a nice little scuff and a couple of light cuts in the plastic. He offered to make it right.

Mid airs when one person is obviously in the wrong should be the same.
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Aug 18, 2013, 05:31 PM
Dixie Sky Devils AMA# 1015548
United States, MS, Tupelo
Joined Oct 2012
1,125 Posts
This is just my opinion! you know what they are like? everybody's got one,,, but to start with, at my club, which is very small and only about 20 members, if this happened, I'm certain any of our members would offer to pay for, of at least offer some kind of help to get the plane repaired or replace! and so should he! I understand accidents happen, but if he said sorry... and played it like it was no big deal, that wouldn't cut it for me.... but that's just me...
tupeloflyer is offline Find More Posts by tupeloflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig New ARF 4 Star 64
Old Aug 18, 2013, 06:36 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,071 Posts
If I would have blatantly been at fault for taking down someone's plane I would have on the spot offered to buy the parts to fix it and offer to help in the repair. I didn't even get an apology.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 06:49 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,225 Posts
he was probably mad at you for hitting his plane... and not getting an apology
Old Aug 18, 2013, 06:51 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
he was probably mad at you for hitting his plane... and not getting an apology
You are basically right, he was upset his prop broke.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:08 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,530 Posts
A midair is just part of the hobby. They are nobodys fault, and nobody is responsible for anyones but their own plane to replace in this type of event. After all accidents do happen. I know I would not be able to pay for somebody elses plane If we collided. Even if my 3dhs 57'' extra that I put 1K into got into a midair I would not hold the other person responsible.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict