Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:03 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
526 Posts
Y.a.h.b

Yet Another Home Brew

ref this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=188891

I settled on a design and started building last week. 60" wingspan, MG-06 airfoil. I had a partially built wood fuse lying around so I decided to use it, my plan is to put a couple of layers of glass on it and paint it. Here are some pics.

The wings are Foamular 250 and I plan on bagging them with one layer of 4.7oz Carbon and one layer of 2oz glass on the bias. 1.7oz Kevlar on the hingeline for live hinges. 4 servo wing for flaps and ailerons, single standard servo in the fuse for elevator control on a V-tail. Tail is planned to be foamular 250 bagged with 2 layers of 3oz glass.

What do you think?
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
Last edited by shoe; Feb 09, 2004 at 11:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2004, 12:33 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
Looks cool, but I would add a rudder
dcairns is offline Find More Posts by dcairns
Old Feb 09, 2004, 06:07 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
I dunno about the rudder.....I don't miss the rudder on my 60" ships. I rarely use it on my Opus, except when scratching. If it was a 100" er or more I'd say ya. I like the glassed wood fuse idea.....the MG-06 airfoil is a great one, use the wide chord control surfaces! Nice looking project.
droydster
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 09, 2004, 06:54 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,552 Posts
Where did you get the Foamular 250?

Target

PS.
I'm doing sort of the same thing, only I cheated, and bought a heavier than stock lay up Accelorator fuse from Ken at K&A Models for a very reasonable price. I'm Lazy!!
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Feb 09, 2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2004, 07:22 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,295 Posts
Shoe...looks really nice.

Target: Any pics of the Accellerator fuse? They don't have very good pics of it on the K&A site.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Feb 09, 2004, 08:22 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Joined Apr 2003
2,991 Posts
I've always thought that the Accellerator looked like a good ship. Target: keep us posted. What airfoil are you going to cut for it?
droyd
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos
Old Feb 09, 2004, 08:28 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Looks good to me! With all that Kevlar it sounds like it's going to be just about, uh, hehe, bulletproof

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2004, 10:31 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,552 Posts
Brett,
I'm up in Ventura county at work, I'll steal my bro's camera to post some pics of the fuse this weekend.

Droydx,
I have already made the tenplates for the stock wing-RG15 root, transitioning to RG14 at the break, and thinned SD7003 at the tip. But I think that I might cut a separate wing out of MG-06 after that. The stock one flies excellent; the only fault is that for our decent lift slopes out west, the fuse is a little light to be adding ballast to(I've repaired cracks a couple times on the stocker). But the heavier lay-up should solve that(I can see the Kevlar lining the sides). And it was very reasonably priced!

Shoe- come on, tell us where you scored the Foamular, I've been looking all over for that pink foam!!

Target
Old Feb 10, 2004, 09:56 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
526 Posts
dcairns: I don't need no stinkin' rudder! Seriously the last 60" plane I built with yaw control and didn't use it so I thought I'd save the trouble and expense of the extra servo.

droydx: Thanks for the comment. The MG-06 section is designed for 30% size surfaces so the wing planform is designed around that criteria. Should make this plane fun .

target: Accerator! Cool! A very good way to go. As to the Foam250...well I drove 500mi to get mine . While on a short vacation I visited Dean at Steelhead products and he had some extra he was willing to sell me. Be sure to post some pics of your build as well.

Here's a pic of part of the tail, fresh out of the bag. It really is a symmetrical airfoil, there's just an optical illusion happening there.

Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:16 AM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
I was just joking with you, I was just referring to the apparent lack of a vertical stab in your 'mock up' photo. I don't use rudder much either. On the few planes that I have with rudders, I mix it in with the ailerons to be somewhat automatic.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:23 AM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dcairns
I was just joking with you, I was just referring to the apparent lack of a vertical stab in your 'mock up' photo. I don't use rudder much either. On the few planes that I have with rudders, I mix it in with the ailerons to be somewhat automatic.
hehe, gotcha. It does look sort of funny in that pic doesn't it? Am I the only one that can't resist doing a little "bench flying" in between each building step? I don't know how much masking tape I've gone on past projects through taping components together to "see how it's gonna look".
Old Feb 10, 2004, 02:21 PM
David Cairns
Orange, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shoe
Am I the only one that can't resist doing a little "bench flying" in between each building step? I don't know how much masking tape I've gone on past projects through taping components together to "see how it's gonna look".
You gotta do that!!! That and taking the plane and running around the yard making engine (or jet) noises. I think it is a good mental thing, especially on larger projects. Reminds you why you are spending all this time building and helps keep you focused.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 04:19 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,552 Posts
You boys are NUTS!

I've never done those silly things!

Target
Old Feb 11, 2004, 04:42 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
I've done a little hangar dreaming here and there myself. I save most of it for flying day though. That's when I really get with the swooshhhh, vrrrrrrmmmmm, and most especially the jet sounds on low high speed runs across the face. I could never afford the thousands to fly a model jet so my F-80 on a windy day with me making whistling sounds is as good as it gets!!
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:34 AM
That should fly!
San Antonio, Texas
Joined Oct 2001
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Walker
I've done a little hangar dreaming here and there myself. I save most of it for flying day though. That's when I really get with the swooshhhh, vrrrrrrmmmmm, and most especially the jet sounds on low high speed runs across the face. I could never afford the thousands to fly a model jet so my F-80 on a windy day with me making whistling sounds is as good as it gets!!
I find myself going down the hallways when no one is looking with my hand out in front representing an airplane....do I have a problem???? Sometimes the schwoosh and jet sounds come out too.

James
Admiral_Red is offline Find More Posts by Admiral_Red