HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:18 AM
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2013
1,925 Posts
Discussion
Show Your MINI/MICRO FPV Quadcopter Pics Videos Specs

Hey guys just thought i would start a new thread on mini/micro fpv quadcopters.. it can be rtf's bnf's diy's build kits aslong as they are mini or micro with fpv equipment on it..

If you have one please post some PIC's Video's Or Specs..

Even if its just a project you just started working on and not in the air yet..

Just thought it would be interesting what people have come up with and whats working best for them..

I been flying bigger multi's fpv for a while now but started to venture into the mini/micro arena which i think is the next big thing in this hobby..

Keep it clean.. remember this is supposed to be fun.. if you have any advice keep it friendly..

Will also help the newbies venturing into mini micro fpv because i see these seperate threads pop up all of the time..

So show us all what you got im sure there are some awesome little machines out there..

This is for true FPV strapping a camera and flying LOS does not count must be flying via googles or some kind of viewing screen or device.. through wireless downlink..
bayareaheli is offline Find More Posts by bayareaheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bayareaheli; Aug 17, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:48 AM
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2013
1,925 Posts
Hope you guys will post yours because im always looking for ideas on how i can improve mine..

Have any questions or want any specs or certain kind of video or pictures i will be happy to post or take make videos or pics for you.. just ask (:

Some Videos of my builds in action

Mini H Quad - Cruzin Coyote Point Ca (4 min 44 sec)

Mini Carbon H Quad Camera Test 25mph winds (4 min 32 sec)

Project Carbon Mini H Fpv Quad (3 min 38 sec)

Mini Carbon Fiber Fpv H Quadcopter Climbout Test (0 min 47 sec)

mini 125 size fpv quadcopter diy (3 min 16 sec)

mini fpv project 125 size walkera tx5805 (2 min 58 sec)

Here is my current and pressent mini fpv build pics

The little carbon one without fpv gear would cost about 160 to build runs on 2s 800mah lipo can can lift full size fpv gear even a gopro if you wanted has plenty of power and is 6inches motor to motor..

808 keychain cam is what im using, going to try mobious if someone recomends its a better camera..

The woodframe one has same electronics and would cost about 100 to build because its a cheap diy wood frame but can also lift a gopro if you wanted and full fpv gear and is 7inches motor to motor

I can add links of parts to either if you would like to build one

Both are flown with a 15 dollar witespy mwc flip 1.5 flight controller.. from http://readytoflyquads.com

Both use 6a esc's flashed with simonk firmware

Both using 2900kv turnigy bl motors and 5in props

Both on turnigy nano tech 800mah 2s lipo can handle 3s aswell

Carbon one is fpv equipment is 600mw immersionRC 58.ghz tx 808 keychain cam and 5v rmrc 3g camera with 100 degree fov for live feed and inline noise filter and 3a ubec

Wood frame has tx5805 modded with a cloverleaf anntenna and using a 3turn helical on reciever end range is about 3 blocks live feed using tx5805 camera with D lens onboard recording with 808 or camone infinity..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bayareaheli; Oct 17, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 07:45 AM
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
Currently I am an RTR Quad guy.
I have plans to build my own but am on an RTR budget,

WlToys V222 Quadcopter from Banggood.com (8 min 22 sec)

WLToys V222 at The King's Diner in Sanger,CA (4 min 18 sec)

WLToys V222 from Banggood.com vs. "The Tryouts" (4 min 0 sec)

WLToys V222 from Banggood.com (6 min 11 sec)

Sat Morn Height Test WLToys V222 from Banggood.com (4 min 30 sec)

WLToys V222 4Ch 6 AXis Gyro Quadcopter from Banggood.com (2 min 20 sec)

I have more but these are pretty good.
EhnTeePee is online now Find More Posts by EhnTeePee
Old Aug 17, 2013, 07:57 AM
United States, CA
Joined Mar 2013
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EhnTeePee View Post
Awesome job rtr are just as good makes it easier than having to try and build your own rig..

I would like to do a setup with one of those bang good rtr quads which would be a good one to use with decent rc range?

Would love to see more pics if possible im liking your build (:
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
Heh, "Build"

I'd look seriously at the V262.
It has size, and that foam ring.
The foam ring gone is 80 grams less to lug around the sky.
Remove the ring. Add a Mobius. Enjoy. repeat.

I have done only the smallest mods to mine...
That Dual Battery pic I flew with the Stock cam attached and it was a bit too much.
It handled very, very fat.
It took 62% to lift off(50% was normal, 0 trim), and the motors got uncomfortably warm.
That extra 12% needed to liftoff does not sound like a lot, but it showed in performance overall.
My flight time with that setup was only 8 minutes.
The batteries did not run down, the motors were too warm to continue IMHO.
The ProTek R/C "Supreme Power" 2S 850mAh 25C and split it into single cells for my 120sr and JXD342 really make this bird fly well without the stock cam attached.
I am on my way to a car show today and plan to use it, and the rest of my batteries to film the event.
I have 1 stock 500mah, 4 Banggood "Silver Wrapper" 600's and this protek 850(well broken in, the other cell has a Dean's on it and may swap before I go so I can use them both) to take with me.
A 16g class 16 from BG is also in the mix.

Another mod I did was the antenna thing through the roof of the canopy, and I added drinking straws to the booms and the front/rear canopy lights.

The straws on the booms really make the quad appear to be larger from a distance when it is dark.
The straws on the canopy lights make it so that even from below or from a distance, you can see the light shining through the side of the straw like a beacon.
No matter which way it faces, you can clearly tell which is which.
The pic only shows the booms and the front set done.
I finished the rear off and should get some pics up.
This was not my idea, rather a slight mod of the "Lightsabre" mod found here....
WL V202 (1 min 21 sec)

I split mine down the middle on one side, slipped them over the booms and "Presto!"
Nice thing about these is they keep the canopy from rattling
The others I cut to include the bend-y part of the straw so I could "aim" them for a different look;

I used Liquid Tape to attach them to the canopy for easy removal later, and because CA glue is a bitch to some plastics, and didn't want any warping.

I didn't have any non-striped straws for the booms in the right color, but am looking for some frosted white ones at the dollar store today.
Last edited by EhnTeePee; Aug 17, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
These are the pics I have so far.
Again, not including the tail lights.

Forgot to say I modded the stock camera a bit.,
It, and many others, were shipped with nothing securing the cam to the inside of the case.
This was a jello maker and a cam breaker.
I basically mounted some sticky tape to the landing skid side of the case at the SD card Shield and another small, very small piece to the front of the cam.
I reamed the LED and Mic holes for better visibility and Sound, respectively.
I cut out the center portion of the lower case half, leaving enough material to keep the stock screws, and give me some thing to rst batteries against without contacting the board.
I did this because even when sitting idle, this cam generates a crap-pot of heat.
I found this out by adding my own battery to the cam, and severing the supply of juice from the anemic teat of the V222's FCB.
(Ya see, when the voltage sags, the camera lags)
I mounted up a 240mah Syma s107 3.7v LiPo to power it.
It works awesome btw, the cam mods have eliminated the following for me:

No more "Jello"
No more video "Noise" from power sags.
No more Corrupted "0" file size after flights/filming more than 7 minutes. ( had 10 or so do this before my mod, and none now in 35+flights)
No more "Video looks great, starts to chop, Blank screen or green screen and perfect audio for the rest of the vid."
It uses about 30mah per 6 minute video with a very,very old s107 battery.

The case mod has also done wonders for the sound... The sticky tape stopped the "Droning Buzz" that fills the ears despite throttle input or flight attitude.
The sound now is a measured, timed and appropriate sound for flying. ...yes Virginia, it's still loud but you get to hear all the subtleties of the quad in flight, ie... :

Prop stress sounds, like hitting it hard and hear the props beat the crap out of the atmosphere.
You can hear clearly power changes, and the rush of the wind as you dive at terra firma.

Bleh, brain and fingers tired, your turn.

Last edited by EhnTeePee; Aug 17, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:46 AM
United States, FL, Oviedo
Joined Mar 2013
1,074 Posts
This is my nano carbon build, 4.5in across motor to motor, 70g auw with turnigy nano tech 750mah 1s and 51.5g without battery. It boasts a fully enclosed silvered carbon fiber canopy to protect the electronics for rain flight capability. Fc/receiver is ladybird v2 with the gyro adjusted for the added weight.

I'm using infra x 8.5 mm hs-8520 motors and have found that it likes traxxis qr-1 props for 8min flight times. Yd717 props are second best for this setup providing good performance but not as long of flight time. The vtx is a tx5805 with a diy longer antenna. The tx I use is the devo F4 modified with an ipx to rp-sma cable from the vrx to the shoulder of the tx. I'm using a cheap 11db patch for vrx and have no problem getting 2000ft range until control goes into fail safe. Videos here.... http://www.youtube.com/user/RamseyInnovations/videos

My nano carbon 2.0 build will be finished next month. I'm using this boom/integrated frame I made.

I'll also be adding onboard 720p micro sd recording via a stripped down DV04 plus the camera tilt option. Landing gear will be much better and a couple other additions as well.
Ramz Innovations is offline Find More Posts by Ramz Innovations
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:49 AM
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
Currently uploading a vid to youtube that shows the light mod before I put the rears on to show just how big a dif they make.

**Edit**

The vid will be live in about 20 mins.
Youtube needs to "Process"(read, FrameRape) my vid.
Last edited by EhnTeePee; Aug 17, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz Innovations View Post
This is my nano carbon build, 4.5in across motor to motor, 70g auw with turnigy nano tech 750mah 1s and 51.5g without battery. It boasts a fully enclosed silvered carbon fiber canopy to protect the electronics for rain flight capability. Fc/receiver is ladybird v2 with the gyro adjusted for the added weight.

I'm using infra x 8.5 mm hs-8520 motors and have found that it likes traxxis qr-1 props for 8min flight times. Yd717 props are second best for this setup providing good performance but not as long of flight time. The vtx is a tx5805 with a diy longer antenna. The tx I use is the devo F4 modified with an ipx to rp-sma cable from the vrx to the shoulder of the tx. I'm using a cheap 11db patch for vrx and have no problem getting 2000ft range until control goes into fail safe. Videos here.... http://www.youtube.com/user/RamseyInnovations/videos

My nano carbon 2.0 build will be finished next month. I'm using this boom/integrated frame I made.

I'll also be adding onboard 720p micro sd recording via a stripped down DV04 plus the camera tilt option. Landing gear will be much better and a couple other additions as well.

Now, that's a build!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1,074 Posts
Thanks much appreciated. I did a demo for my local county fire dept.they loved it so much they invited me to setup a sales booth at the huge national ems and fire expo in Daytona beach in January ;-)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:04 AM
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
Dude, that's epic!
Good Luck!
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Mar 2013
1,074 Posts
Thank you! Forgot to mention its been tested to be flyable (by an experienced pilot) in up to 25mph winds, very heavy rain and top speed is 35mph with rates set at 62% for elevator. Anything higher on the rates and you'd better have a large area because its gone fast. Traveling at 1000ft in under 20sec it can get out of range fast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:26 AM
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
603 mah returned after Lights on 100% rate-sky rape.
So, I had a lot left on tap using this battery.
I charged at 0.6a for 92 minutes.
When coupled with it's other cell, Protek Claims 5c Charge rate which would be a little over 4.25 amps.
I figure a single cell could handle 2a, but have only charged at 1.0a max.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:32 AM
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramz Innovations View Post
Thank you! Forgot to mention its been tested to be flyable (by an experienced pilot) in up to 25mph winds, very heavy rain and top speed is 35mph with rates set at 62% for elevator. Anything higher on the rates and you'd better have a large area because its gone fast. Traveling at 1000ft in under 20sec it can get out of range fast.
Sick.
I've flown mine when the news said the winds were 18mph.
It's work, but the V222 still did what I wanted,mostly when I wanted.
Obstacle induced currents are a beehatch, but once above the roofline, it really isn't that bad.
Landings were a tense affair.

I'm guessing the top-speed of mine about 25-30 on 100%, but have not measured it properly except to have done some "parallel flying" with roadway traffic near the house at a park.
I wonder if it's big enough to be seen by the "School Zone Tattle-tails" ....?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:37 AM
Joined Apr 2013
924 Posts
My version of the "LightSabre mod"

LightModDemo V222 from Banggood.com (1 min 26 sec)

You can see by the reflection on the table just how much of the front lights are visible from below due to diffusion through the straws and the way they protrude past the front of the canopy.
It also lights the tubes from above, and the inner portion of the booms making it very visible.
The progressive flashers in the rear are going to be swapped out for a solid, non-blinking color, or I will tape over the colors I do not want to see giving a tail nav-strobe effect rather than the directional pattern now.
Last edited by EhnTeePee; Aug 17, 2013 at 09:42 AM.