HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Conehead, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:40 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,119 Posts
Discussion
Empire Airport 16 August 2013

Each year, one of the fellows who are in the BARC's club has family visit and his grand kids love to shoot rockets off. So the word goes out on the net, come one, come all to fly and watch. So after a couple of aborted attempts, Friday night, 16 August 2013 was the night. Weather was supposed to be warm, mid 70's, light wind, less than 10 mph. The time for the event was between 5 to 5:30 PM and when I got to the airport, there were a number of cars.

David was getting one plane ready, problem was he broke all his O rings for the prop saver, so that plane was put away. Then he got out his Apprentace and flew it. In the meantime more people arrived. I got out my Trojan and got it ready. It had not been in the air in weeks. The other fellow, Bob, whose grandkids were coming got out his Trojan and we tried to fly formation. Well that was not going well. My plane was way out of trim, why, I don't know, but it was. We had other pilots who arrived and they put their planes in the air. We all got a couple flights in before we could see the rocket launches.

Finally after a long time of flying, arm chair flying, a few long tales about flying, all of sudden we were ready to witness rocket launches.

The first attempt, the engine didn't work. Back to the repair shop. Old engine out, new engine in the rocket and we were ready. The count down was uneventful, we waited and all of a sudden off it went. Up and away. I think it hit about 500 feet up and then boom. The chute came out and it came down. Then a smaller rocket was readied. and it was launched. Now this little rocket went really high. I missed photos of it. it went so fast and then pop, out came the chute.

Was a fun night, one of our best nights flying in a long time. Everyone is getting ready for the air show next weekend.

So I headed home, got to charge some batteries, adjust my transmitter and get the cobwebs off a couple of planes to fly next weekend.

Not a lot of news, but was a fun night.

One fellow had a Bad Day in Black Rock. Seems he hit his new car, a crossover vehicle with is Porsch and now he has two damaged cars. All this happened in his driveway. Bet he has about 3 K damage to both cars, Could be even more, he will find out Monday.

Photos of the event below.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Conehead; Aug 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Added photos, Orrin syndrome, mind broke down.
to remove ads between posts