I hope this was a prank
WyDiablo is offline Find More Posts by WyDiablo
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:14 PM
Learning one crash at a time :
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Dec 2012
59 Posts
It was originally posted on youtube. Here is the description from the pilot:

Ok so here's the story. This was shot using a DJI phantom and a gopro camera. This was two days before the wedding at their bridal shoot. This happened towards the beginning. I had done one successful fly by and i brought it around for another pass to make sure it was smooth. I underestimated the lift time and it hit the goom on the side of the face. He had a cut on his cheek and and the side of his head. I felt horrible. Luckily the bride and groom were able to laugh about it after and we continued the shoot. At the request of the bride and groom I put the video online. All though it sucks that this happened. I have decided to own up to what I did, instead of try to hide it from the world.

Quadcopter hits groom in the head. // Epic Fail - Seriously (0 min 47 sec)
email4nickp is offline Find More Posts by email4nickp
Old Aug 17, 2013, 01:56 AM
Joined Apr 2013
122 Posts
Hope they cut the grass before the wedding. This looks staged, nobody else around, anywhere? Seems fishy. So just the bride, groom and incompetent pilot in an unkempt field? We don't need posers to give quads a black eye.
jeffjblack is offline Find More Posts by jeffjblack
Old Aug 17, 2013, 02:23 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,552 Posts
A DJI phantom. What a freaking surprise.

Common sense is not that common these days sadly.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Aug 17, 2013, 04:05 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
A DJI phantom. What a freaking surprise.

Common sense is not that common these days sadly.
He should submit it to the DJI aerial contest, win an S800 and use it for some real shred. Maybe a kid's b-day party would be the right place for this...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2013, 04:18 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,060 Posts
At least get some small food strainers and create an enclosed cage around the props if you're going to be zooming around people. I would say don't get near people with a quad but we can all see how well some people will take that advice.

He nailed the shot though. Glad they were ok.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Aug 17, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:51 AM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,580 Posts
He shouldnt have been trying to zoom within inches of there heads, that's asking for trouble!
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:55 AM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Why are prop guards so rare? - Are they really that bad for performance?

Certainly seems like the Phantom needs to ship with them, given the number of clueless newbies flying/crashing/losing them...

I don't think we even need completely rigid and crashproof prop guards. Couldn't we just make cheap plastic mesh prop guards that'd at least reduce harm in cases like this. If the prop guard flexes and hits the prop in a crash, that's probably acceptable, as it's bettter for a 'sacrificial' prop guard to absorb most of the impact of the spinning prop than somebody's face?...
bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:15 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,168 Posts
How could this fake or staged????

Who would sign up to take a quad in the face????

Stand my by original post: FAIL!
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined Apr 2013
122 Posts
OK, OK, it's real. But, which is worse, the camera, the photographic skill, or the piloting? Dude could have taken up a nice camera in his hands and walked up to the couple. Same effect, better quality. Need a higher angle? put the camera on a stick.

Also, the great thing about quads is you have 360 degrees of motion to work with. Up, down, right, left, forwards, backwards and many many variations of these. At some point he possibly could have considered this. I would have recommended backwards, but up, left, right, down, would have worked.

So if you a total jerk, can't fly for crap, make a fool of yourself and injure someone, please go ahead and post your video on youtube for all to see. That is just great for the hobby.

Thanks from those of us who are carefully working on our kit, working on our skills, trying to build respect in the public eye and respecting the safety considerations of the hobby.
jeffjblack is offline Find More Posts by jeffjblack
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:34 AM
United States, CA, Malibu
Joined Apr 2012
195 Posts
I have no words for the guys who use phantom for semi pro purposes, and no comment for people who use phantom so close to others. It's really disappointing to show own stupidity online and be proud of that.
Spare is offline Find More Posts by Spare
Old Aug 17, 2013, 01:32 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,702 Posts
The videographer is a wedding videographer from Utah. In the facebook wedding video groups he has been skewered. In the wedding video industry (and I am in that industry) he has a solid reputation. He has since decided no more flying around people.

Unfortunately in the event video world way too many "filmmakers" (that's what they call themselves these days) have snatched up Phantoms and started adding aerials to their work. Most of them have never touched anything RC beyond an Airhog. . I have been waiting for one of them to do something stupid like this. I have challenged many of them to fly their Phantom without GPS or Atti mode turned on. I am still trying to get one of them to fly in manual mode. None will take me up on it. They don't realize there is more to flying these things than charging a battery and going outside to get shots. Phantom installs the "idiot proof" technology and the idiots buy them and do idiotic things with them. Look out....once they pay for the 3D gimbals that are hitting the market as add ons there will be no stopping them. Look for more of these kinds of shots to happen.

Should help the FAA clamp down on us quickly and with great force.

Oh and BTW....for those of you that don't know the wedding video industry too well....many times there will be a shoot before the wedding to get some cool footage of all kinds to make a love story or some kind of romantic production to display at the reception. It is very common so yet it was staged and the bride and groom were the only ones there. It was not the wedding day. I've done a few myself but at least I haven't whacked anyone with a Quad.....haven't used my copters for one of those. I did do a "trash the dress" and use a plane with a video cam on it once.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Aug 17, 2013, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2013
4 Posts
"I have decided to own up to what I did, instead of try to hide it from the world."
own up, to whom?
Instead of trying to hide it from the world,
mate, the world didn't know about it,

completely idiotic.
jonysan is offline Find More Posts by jonysan