SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Tom,

Probably nobody's tried to charge at the low temperature you mention, thus no response.

Probably your best bet would be email the supplier of your LiPos and ask about the low end of their operating temperature range.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:32 AM
Joined Jul 2002
1,532 Posts
Is there a story that goes with the pictures ?? He is lucky that it didn't burn the wood floor and take the house with it. I bet the burnt foam and LiPo's really stunk up the house.
Zoomzoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoomzoom
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:57 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,149 Posts
Hi Zoomzoom,

Don't know the story behind it.
Maybe it is at http://www.modellflugjugend.de/cgi-b...l?frames&start
I will search (it is german)

Cheers
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Aug 27, 2005, 09:58 AM
Mastic Beach, New York, United States
Joined Mar 2003
41 Posts
Charging at less than 1C rate

I know you can't charge lipos more than 1c of there rating, but can you charge them at less than 1c of there rating?
kchamp is offline Find More Posts by kchamp
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:04 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchamp
I know you can't charge lipos more than 1c of there rating, but can you charge them at less than 1c of there rating?
Yes you can. My stsndard charge rate for mine is 0.7C which I feel is easier on them and may help them last a while longer. It takes a little longer but not very much due to the way LiPolys are charged.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 27, 2005, 04:14 PM
Resistered Loser
United States, IL, Paris
Joined Jul 2005
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver
http://www.modellflugjugend.de/archiv/user/lipo2.jpg

Happend in Germany. Savety first "always"
I see his problem, he was playing darts right next to his lipos!
bicmedic is offline Find More Posts by bicmedic
Old Aug 27, 2005, 06:49 PM
Ghent, Belgium
Joined May 2000
295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Yes you can. My stsndard charge rate for mine is 0.7C which I feel is easier on them and may help them last a while longer. It takes a little longer but not very much due to the way LiPolys are charged.

Charles
Ditto for the charge rate.
A couple of years ago I checked how the lipo cell of my Nokia 6310 was treated by its protective circuitry: the phone stops working when the cell is at 3.5V and after a fulll charge cycle the cell is at 4.1V. Charging from 'empty' to 'full' takes nearly two hours so it's less than 1C.
This is what I call 'consumer electronics" so i know it is fairly safe (there have been some mishaps with lipo powered cellphones so I 'fairly safe' is as far as I will go).

Flying airplanes powered by lipo cells takes us far beyond the discharge rate for a cell phone application. We did the same with NiCd batteries but that didn't bother us too much either...

My point is I'm willing to cheat on the discharge part but at least I want to remain on the safe side on the charging part of my batteries' life cycle. My st gen 3270 cells are still working fine after four seasons: maybe I didn't push them hard enough but then again that's my prerogative.

Danny
Danny Van Hoecke is offline Find More Posts by Danny Van Hoecke
Old Aug 28, 2005, 04:29 AM
Joined Feb 2005
284 Posts
Due to the location of the battery in the fus. it is tempting to pull them out by the wires.I get away with this with my N's. Could this be one of the causes of fires with L's ?.Are Lipo wires attached less strongly ?. I am just starting with Lipo's
tipperary is offline Find More Posts by tipperary
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:45 AM
Angering mobs since 1980.
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Sep 2001
2,929 Posts
What has been bugging me is how tiny those JST connectors are. Just how much current can they handle? It would seem to me that even trying to pull 5 amps through them is just a formula for disaster. I mean afterall they really are not any larger than the plugs on a servo! I've been putting Deans Ultra connectors on everything as I simply do not trust those tiny little plugs.

--
Mike N
Twmaster is offline Find More Posts by Twmaster
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:53 PM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
Lipo Fires

I Use A Small Fire Prof Safe From Kmart To Charge In .
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old Feb 21, 2010, 01:19 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2 Posts
air shipping of Lipo batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzoom View Post
I have crashed and burned with a lot of factory LiPo packs and haven't had a problem. I think the home built versions have a problem because it's tough with the small tabs and criss crossing the wires. Also, manufatures use shrink wrap to hold all of the batteries together which keeps everything from moving around.

LiPo fires can be serious business. I had a fire over a year ago in my house that caused 30k worth of damage. It was caused by a digital charger that miss-read the number of cells putting too much voltage to the batteries. At the time I was unaware of the hazards of LiPo's and charged the batteries inside a foam plane leaving the house for an hour, ouch. So, everything went wrong that possibly could. Thank god we had a monitored house alarm.

It wasn't a fun thing to go through and we even had to move out of the house for 3 weeks. There wasn't any structural damage, but the stink and mess the fire caused was unbelievable.

At the time there wasn't much printed or stated about the do's and don'ts of LiPo charging. Since then the manufactures appear to have been better about warning people.

I'm not trying to rehash old war stories, just warn people so it doesn't happen to them.

I was wondering what the aviation authorities thinks of these batteries in the cargo hold of airplanes!, I brought a cheap Chinese Lipo and it was packed in a jiffy bag wit hno protection, if it got crushed, it could of brought down the airplane.
arado240 is offline Find More Posts by arado240
Old Feb 21, 2010, 12:21 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,452 Posts
If a lipo is in a discharged state there is very little chance of an ignition. A fully-charged lipo is a different issue but how many people will travel with a fully-charged lipo ion their baggage? Not many I would assume.

mw (knows how old this thread is)
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood