HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2004, 12:40 AM
Goin' Vertical
Salem, OR
Joined Nov 2001
708 Posts
Near Lipo Disaster

Flew indoors today. Brought 5 different airplanes 4 of which sport Lipos. First flight was my Fantastic Models GeeBee. I used an Irate 1100mah 2cell pack on it for the first time. Flew great and did several take-offs and landings. My friend Megawat was there and I noticed he ahad a nice little metal box for his Lipos. I remember thinking to myself " I need to get one of those." Anyway after the GeeBee I flew a Horsefly Hobbies Mini Geebee, a Lightened MSW, Megatech Diversion, and finally my Cox Viper Conversion. Had a great day flying a wide variety of indoor aircraft.

After the GYM closed I demonstrated my MSW outdoors for a father and son who were curious about the hobby.

What a great day!

Loaded up my little foam airplanes and headed home. Had to make about 3 trips through the house and back to my shop to put things away. After the final trip I grabbed the GeeBee..when I got in the shop I went to hang it in it's prominant place ion the ceiling. I'm standing on this tall stool looping a string under the belly when I feel this sharp pain in my right index finger. I flip over the plane and see the insulation on the lead wire is gone...quickly I grab the now hissing pack and toss it outside my shop....within seconds it's ballooned and and on fire!...I kicked it a little further from my shop and watch as it smokes, smolders, and hisses. Al little nasty smell in the shop but I escaped unscathed. I'm truely lucky this didn't happen in the GYM, unattended car, House, Garage, or unattended shop!
Guess who owns a metal box now?

I'm not 100% sure as to he exact cause of this but I have a good idea.

I can't say for sure in all the excitement that I even unplugged the pack from my GeeBee. My GeeBee has a little on/off switch which is really "handy" ...Flip the switch and the GWS 4RP stops it's nasty servo chatter. This little switch turns off the receiver but as I recall there is still some current draw happening. I'm thinking that the Irates were being sucked down for about 2hours after that last flight and just happened to be at critcal mass about the time I was hanging the airplane.

Just thought I would share this...

I can assure you all I have a heathier respect for the dangers of these cells.

No lectures please.

tIgGer
Tigger is offline Find More Posts by Tigger
Last edited by Tigger; Feb 09, 2004 at 12:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2004, 12:48 AM
Goin' Vertical
Salem, OR
Joined Nov 2001
708 Posts
Lucky GeeBee

If you look closely you can see where the wire insulatation from the pack melted onto the edge of the batterry compartment. You can also see the switch That I should NEVER use with Lipos.
Old Feb 09, 2004, 01:09 AM
Joined Dec 2003
288 Posts
i'm really glad to hear that you've only lost a lipo pack, and nothing else...
wacko is offline Find More Posts by wacko
Old Feb 09, 2004, 02:10 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Nov 2003
797 Posts
Is this normal behaviour for over discharged cells? I thought from the many threads that you actually had to do something to the cells to cause this to happen such as deform or over charge or shorted.

From your description it sounded as though the leads were hot which suggests that there may have been a short somewhere in the wiring.

Just curious and concerned.

Glad to see that you got them out in time.

Michael

BTW I own 5 packs and think they are great just curious that there maybe another gotcha that I was not aware of.
mjdoz is online now Find More Posts by mjdoz
Last edited by mjdoz; Feb 09, 2004 at 02:22 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2004, 02:36 AM
Goin' Vertical
Salem, OR
Joined Nov 2001
708 Posts
Cause??

mjdoz,

That was my other theory.

It may well have been a short . Something got so hot so fast that the jst connector slipped right of the end of the of the leads...I'm mean right out of the clips!

I just was thinking about that darn switch and trying to remember whether or not I disconnected the pack. It is my understanding that these packs will balloon and vent when overly discharged.

tIgGeR
Old Feb 09, 2004, 07:50 AM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Sep 2001
776 Posts
As far as I know, cells wiill only do this if they are overcharged , shorted or traumatized . I'm pretty sure that over discharging will not cause what happened. Did you build the pack yourself ? Is there any chance that there might have been a short ?

Marc
747drvr is offline Find More Posts by 747drvr
Old Feb 09, 2004, 08:35 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Wires don't melt off insulation unless they are shorted.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 09, 2004, 09:51 AM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Sep 2001
776 Posts
Andy's right. I should have picked up on that. You had a short of some sort. Check all wiring through your switch , esc and motor. To be on the safe side check for the short in your wiring with a voltmeter set to measure continuity.

Marc
747drvr is offline Find More Posts by 747drvr
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:06 AM
Odessa, TX
Joined Feb 2004
69 Posts
Having decided to get back into r/c planes and now reading these posts, I'm thoroughly spooked. I've read back as far as I could go through these forums and I still feel as though I have no better understanding then when I started. I've already ordered a plane with a li-poly and feel like I have a stick of dynamite on the way.
Jiwer is offline Find More Posts by Jiwer
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:20 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
LiPolys do not, and never have, spontaneously combusted. There is always some external source of trauma that has caused these failures. In this case, there was definitely a short. What kind of connectors were on this GeeBee?

Simply leaving the battery connected didn't do this. Even though the ESC is still powered when the receiver is off, it's not drawing nearly as much current as it does while the motor is running full throttle.

Overdischarging will not cause the batteries to fail catastrophically. However, overdischarging through a short circuit or through an excessive load is accompanied by excessive current, which causes the battery to heat up, which in turn will cause the battery to fail.

Yes, you have a stick of dynamite on the way, but if you don't light the fuse, it can't hurt you!!! Treat them with all due care and consideration, and pay attention while you're using the batteries, and you'll be fine.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:33 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,642 Posts
mkirsh1,
reference "However, overdischarging through a short circuit or through an excessive load is accompanied by excessive current, which causes the battery to heat up, which in turn will cause the battery to fail."

Point me to some cases of this happening-
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:33 AM
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
France
Joined Feb 2000
3,585 Posts
I guess that when you grabbed the plane, you shorted the 2 wires of the cell. That's the only explanation. Leaving a cell being discharged for days will never make it smoke.
luc is offline Find More Posts by luc
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:51 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,642 Posts
tigGer, do you have a guess on how far the battery had been discharged from flying?
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 09, 2004, 01:12 PM
Joined Feb 2004
848 Posts
Boy that was a close call

I'm getting back into the sport because of how far e-flight has come as well. Looks like we still have nitro--it's just in another form LOL. My buddy makes LiPo powered bicycles and oh does he have stories of the development process .

I'm going to setup a dedicated (fireproof) charging and storing station in the garage (has smoke detector) as well as follow strict procedures of transporting batts in a fireproof box. I plan on keeping the batts out of each plane until flown, then back in the box after I'm done.

Fishnut
Fishnut is offline Find More Posts by Fishnut
Old Feb 09, 2004, 02:47 PM
Washington, PA, USA
Joined Aug 2003
1,486 Posts
Re: Boy that was a close call

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishnut I'm going to setup a dedicated (fireproof) charging and storing station in the garage (has smoke detector) as well as follow strict procedures of transporting batts in a fireproof box. I plan on keeping the batts out of each plane until flown, then back in the box after I'm done.
I do all this stuff too and.................... so far so good!!
unbalanced prop is offline Find More Posts by unbalanced prop