SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2004, 07:39 PM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,065 Posts
Where are you going to get the little bottles of Scotch?
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:40 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,232 Posts
You can probably find the Scotch bottles at the Doll house Store.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Feb 20, 2004, 06:25 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Thanks for the tip on finding the Scotch bottles, I need to visit the local Hobby Lobby to get some pencil lead to finish the plans anyway, I'll check it out
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Feb 22, 2004, 02:31 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
It's off to the Pond

The first trip to the pond with the new boat was both educational and dissapointing! First, with the initial ballast the model was too heavy and the CG too far forward. So, I pulled her out and while in the process of removing the lead ballast, broke a power lead to the motors---10 minutes later, it was pouring rain
So, I took the boat home, removed all the ballast, and put 2, 4.8 oz. shot bags at the transom and fitted 2 2400 mah 6 cell ni-cads into the battery tray. As soon as the weather clears, I'll try her again.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 02:49 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Success!!!

The weather broke overnight, so it was back to the pond this AM. In the water the boat sat nicely until the power was applied, but once again it was obviouse the bow was running too low. So, I pulled out the second battery for another try. This time everything not only looked good, but proved to run just great
Overall, the model runs very well. Turns are smooth posative, and at 1 notch of power, the cruise speed looks just about right. Ultimately, the motors were wired in parrallel rather than the original plan of series. As a result, the boat is WAY overpowered--it'll actually plain off at full throttle--but after an hour and 45 minutes running the battery was still going strong. If I had to guess, I'd say that running times of over 2 hours are possible at cruise power.
So, the next step will be to add the last of the details and get the plans buttoned up
PAT
Old Feb 22, 2004, 05:07 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Nice pics of a nice boat.

You certainly don't hang around when you are building. The speed of construction doesn't show in the model. How do you manage it? Paint and glue drying takes more time in my models than yours do from start to finish (if you'll excuse the pun).

Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
Old Feb 22, 2004, 07:57 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,232 Posts
Well, If I forgo working, and just concentrate on a model, I can build it three weeks. But this build was what, twelve days post to post?

I say we all trip down to AZ, and get some projects finished over a weekend.

Great job Pat.
(Can you explain the name?)
Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:21 PM
Kent, Wa.
Joined Feb 2001
641 Posts
Looks nice!

Robbie,
Kent, Wa.
Rotten Robbie is offline Find More Posts by Rotten Robbie
Old Feb 23, 2004, 07:10 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Tony, I'm not sure how the model got done so quickly, actually, I didn't realize it had only been 12 days---no wonder my wife called the cops when I walked into the kitchen unanounced the other evening!!!
Actually, by using Cya glues and lacquer paints, drying times are minimal. When wood needs wetting to make compound curves I use a Monocoat iron to aid in bending and drying (which is actually a crude steeming process), and when railings and stuff are wetted and bowed around a form, a few seconds in the micro wave eliminates drying time there to.
But the big one is to stay organized. My shop is actually small by most peoples standards, nothing is more then 3 steps away, and frequent workbench cleaning is a big help. The first time I have to hunt for something the whole mess gets straightened up--which usually takes less then 5 minutes.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 07:16 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Umi, I'm all for a trip to AZ, I've got friends in Tucson and family in Phoenix so we'll have a place to work!!
BTW, I've been looking for a scale float-in in the AZ, NM, southern CO region and haven't had any luck finding one. Does anybody out there know about an event around these parts?
PAT
Old Feb 23, 2004, 07:24 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
ooops, I forgot to mention the name. "Vrolijkheid" was the name on the boat in the begining of the movie. After the boat was repaired for the escape from the island it was renaimed "Catherine". I later found out from a friend that the word "Vrolijkheid" is a Norwegian word that means "happiness".
PAT
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:03 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by P. Tritle
Umi, I'm all for a trip to AZ, I've got friends in Tucson and family in Phoenix so we'll have a place to work!!
BTW, I've been looking for a scale float-in in the AZ, NM, southern CO region and haven't had any luck finding one. Does anybody out there know about an event around these parts?
PAT
Oops, don't get me wrong here, I'm just lost.
We were all headed to your place in Alburquerque, when we took that left at Los Cruces.

And you have every right to be "Vrolijkheid" getting the boat done in such good time.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 04:25 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,614 Posts
Father Goose Republished

I thought I had seen a build thread listed for this model, so was quite [pleasantly] surprised to see it in the latest edition of "R/C Model Boats. Had to buy it, of course, because the magazine is so much more portable than my computer.

Even if the "real" boat did not survive the movie, Pat's version has gotten a second life!

So if you want a copy of the construction article without buying a back issue, it is in the current issue of R/C Model Boats Magazine.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 29, 2006, 04:32 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,614 Posts
As long as the article and thread have been revived, I am intrigued by the wooden railing sections with brass ends. Did you steam dowels to make the curved sections, or are they cane or bamboo?

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 30, 2006, 08:35 AM
Shawnee KS
Joined Sep 2004
114 Posts
P J, I used thin mahogony and curved it over a hot soldering iron...........Fred
cop56 is offline Find More Posts by cop56