SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

TOOLBOX: Duratrax 12-Tip Multi Driver

Compact and very useful multi tool.

Splash

The next tool for your pit box?

Having the right tool for the job is essential for getting that job completed properly and efficiently. This definitely holds true in our radio control hobby where the correct tool can make the difference between a productive and fun wrenching session and a complete nightmare. It is this fact that has led us to create “TOOLBOX”, which will be a type of column on the Car Channel of RCGroups.com where we review the tools that make our life easier whether at home on the workbench or trackside.

OVERVIEW

To start off we are featuring the Duratrax 12-Tip Multi Driver. Just as the name implies, the 12-Tip Multi Driver is multiple tools in one. There are six hex-shaped drivers with two tips on each for a total of 12 different driver tips to choose from. The selection of tips include standard and metric hex drivers along with blade and Phillips drivers. Each of the drivers are stored conveniently in the handle of the tool—five in channels machined into the outside of the handle and one in the center. The handle itself is machined from aluminum and anodized a brilliant blue. On the end is a plastic cap that keeps the drivers from sliding out of their channels. The cap rotates and a slot in the cap allows the desired driver to slide out. A type of push-button latch on the opposite end of the handle allows you to insert and/or remove a driver as well as adjust its length.

KEY FEATURES

• 12 different tips to choose from
  • Includes metric and standard hex sizes
  • Drivers are clearly labeled for quick identification
  • Compact and convenient design
  • Unused drivers are securely held in handle
  • Beautifully machined and anodized aluminum handle
  • Quick and easy to install and adjust driver length in handle

INCLUDED TIP SIZES

1. 1.5mm blade
  2. 2.5mm blade
  3. 00 Phillips
  4. 0 Phillips
  5. 1.5mm hex
  6. 2.0mm hex
  7. 2.5mm hex
  8. 3.0mm hex
  9. .050” hex
  10. 1/16” hex
  11. 5/64” hex
  12. 3/32” hex

QUICK SPECS
 <b>DURATRAX 12-TIP MULTI DRIVER</b>
DURATRAX 12-TIP MULTI DRIVER
Length of handle:4.6 in. (118mm)
Diameter of handle: 0.8 in. (20mm)
Length of shanks:4 in. (100mm)
Weight (overall):4 oz. (113g)
Item number:DTXR1165
Street Price:$19.99

HITS

• Handy to have multiple drivers all on one tool
  • Quick and easy to change and adjust length of shanks
  • Well-made with sturdy yet compact design

MISSES

• Phillips and blade drivers are too small for the most common types of hardware used
  • Not great for long wrenching sessions due to its overall weight

TESTING

As soon as I started to use the Duratrax 12-Tip Multi Driver, I noticed that it was very well-made and should last for a good long time thanks to its solid aluminum construction. The push-button latch requires firm pressure to adjust or release the driver from the handle. This is a good thing because it holds the shank securely when in use. I was able to apply a lot of pressure on the handle to remove difficult hex head screws and the driver did not slide within the handle—it stayed put.

I really like that the length of the shank can be quickly and easily changed to suit the task on hand. Extend the driver all the way out to reach into tight recesses of a chassis or shorten it all the way to get maximum control and torque for stubborn hardware. The drivers are also super easy and fast to swap out and did not slow down my progress when fixing a vehicle. You just need to remember to rotate the blue cap so that its notch is not in line with a channel to keep a driver from inadvertently sliding out.

All of the hex drivers fit into their appropriate hardware, but I found the Phillips and blade drivers to be a bit small for the majority of the vehicles out there. They are best suited for mini or micro vehicles, so if you have larger scales like 1/12 and larger, you will still need a decent Phillips and blade screwdriver.

When working on a dirty off-road vehicle, I found that dirt could get into the channels where the drivers are stored and thus make them difficult to insert into the handle. A shot of motor spray remedied this issue. I also discovered that the tool is a bit heavy for those marathon wrenching sessions. The overall weight is not that much more from a typical hobby-grade driver, but it does make a difference in the long haul.

Where the Duratrax 12-Tip Multi Driver excels is with its compact design and the fact that it has 12 different tips right at your disposal. It is perfect for bringing with you to the track or when out bashing. Just throw it in your pit bag or even you pocket. It is a very handy tool to have in your RC inventory.

Visit the site for more info on Duratrax products!

Last edited by Paul Onorato; Aug 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM..

Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2013, 08:34 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,580 Posts
I've owned mine for a year now, and I have to let everyone else know of the other "misses" you missed.

1. The tips are not replaceable and even though hex wrenches should last longer than a typical screwdriver, the small hexes wear out pretty easily. At $20 a pop, you're left with a rather useless tool.

2. The annoying "miss" is the base of the handle. It rotates to allow you to select the different bits and slide them out. Problem is, as most users operate the same way, is that the base usually sits in the palm of your hand and because it rotates, the bits start to slide out on their own if you have the base on any downward decline. As these bits slide out they dig into your palm, or fall out and land wherever they want.

This tool seems like a cool must have tool, but it definitely needs some refinement and the option to replace the worn out bits.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:24 AM
United States, CT, Brookfield
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Thank you for sharing this info. I have not had my Driver for very long and so far the tips are holding up okay. Time will tell.
Paul Onorato is offline Find More Posts by Paul Onorato
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:45 PM
Just got sucked into it all!!
United States, MO, St. Peters
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
I've owned mine for a year now, and I have to let everyone else know of the other "misses" you missed.

1. The tips are not replaceable and even though hex wrenches should last longer than a typical screwdriver, the small hexes wear out pretty easily. At $20 a pop, you're left with a rather useless tool.

2. The annoying "miss" is the base of the handle. It rotates to allow you to select the different bits and slide them out. Problem is, as most users operate the same way, is that the base usually sits in the palm of your hand and because it rotates, the bits start to slide out on their own if you have the base on any downward decline. As these bits slide out they dig into your palm, or fall out and land wherever they want.

This tool seems like a cool must have tool, but it definitely needs some refinement and the option to replace the worn out bits.
+1 love and loath mine. Just had three of the bits fall out on to the concrete floor of my workshop while I was using as you described. Once I get a set of really good dedicated drivers this will go to the field box.
Quad Head is offline Find More Posts by Quad Head
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,206 Posts
Where to buy

I went to the site your link took me too. It offered really complete descriptions of all they offer, but no place to buy the goods. Actually saw something of theirs I like much better than the multi-tool.

So anyone know who sell this stuff.

HD
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggdoc View Post
I went to the site your link took me too. It offered really complete descriptions of all they offer, but no place to buy the goods. Actually saw something of theirs I like much better than the multi-tool.

So anyone know who sell this stuff.

HD

Sure thing...go to Tower Hobbies to buy Duratrax items.

I am curious, what did you find that you like much better? I might be following you.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Onorato View Post
Sure thing...go to Tower Hobbies to buy Duratrax items.

I am curious, what did you find that you like much better? I might be following you.
They have sets of individual hex drivers with replaceable tips.

Wish someone would make these things with a carbide tip so they would stop rounding. I would rather replace a screw than the driver all the time.

HD
Old Aug 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,580 Posts
Quote:
they have sets of individual hex drivers with replaceable tips.

Wish someone would make these things with a carbide tip so they would stop rounding. I would rather replace a screw than the driver all the time.

Hd
+1000
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
They have sets of individual hex drivers with replaceable tips.

HD
They are out there, they just cost a good deal of dough. I use Hudy and they have stood up to hundreds of hours of wrenching.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:22 PM
Hawk Fanatic
Joined Jul 2008
7,580 Posts
Quote:
They are out there, they just cost a good deal of dough. I use Hudy and they have stood up to hundreds of hours of wrenching.
You should do a review on Hudy instead of this tool. Why did you even do a review on this duratrax tool?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
It is a handy tool to have. Perfect to have in my pit bag as it takes up little space and has the variety of tips that are frequently needed. And $20 is affordable when compared to a 'high-end' hex wrench where just one driver cost nearly that much.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Thats great where do you get them, the Hudy sire has no STORE.

HD
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2013
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Thats great where do you get them, the Hudy sire has no STORE.

HD
Now just to clarify, I am not saying the Hudy makes tools with carbide tips, but that Hudy makes very high-quality tools that last. They use what they call Hudy Spring Steel.

When you go to the HUDY page, there is a "E-SHOP" button. It is not easy to find. It is directly below with first main image box. Here is the link to the HUDY E-Shop.

Also, A Main Hobbies carries HUDY tools as well.