HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:47 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
Discussion
McCoy Engines

Who owns McCoy model engine company and why did they go out of business? Also, what would stop them from new production engines?.... They could even add R/C engines just to keep up with the times! Thanks for the input.
65stang is offline Find More Posts by 65stang
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:56 AM
Mike A.
Des Moines, IA
Joined Oct 2005
378 Posts
Testors Corp. ended up with McCoy engines and produced the Testors McCoy Series 21 line (square case, black head, kind of heavy) in .19, .29, .35 and .40, both Control Line and RC (they came with Perry carbs). They were decent, but not outstanding and, as stated, kind of heavy for their size and power. I believe Testors still 'owns' the McCoy line and is still in business - just don't produce engines anymore.

No, on second thought, Mecoa may have ended up with whatever was left of the Testors/McCoy line. (Just checked their website - they have some parts left, but no engines).
mikeainia is online now Find More Posts by mikeainia
Last edited by mikeainia; Aug 14, 2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:28 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,035 Posts
These early "Duromatic" McCoys (pre-Testors, pre-Redhead) had a much better reputation..
Featured 2 rings and a single rear ball bearing.

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Aug 14, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:22 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
136 Posts
MECOA (Model Engine Company Of America) has the rights to Testors and McCoy engines as well as a bunch more. I believe MECOA is owned by RJL Industries. I also understand that Randy Linsilato (RJL) bought these rights to preserve the ability to produce these old engines, so they would not be forgotten. You may want to check out the MECOA archives. As is most engine manufacturing these days, model engines are probably a small part of the business and are made "when time permits".

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:22 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65stang View Post
Who owns McCoy model engine company and why did they go out of business? Also, what would stop them from new production engines?.... They could even add R/C engines just to keep up with the times! Thanks for the input.
I remember the Testor Series 21 Black Head engines, when they came out. They didn't sell well, and after a few years, they were on ridiculously low priced clearances at the various LHS's I visited. I bought 5 for a song in the 1970's. They were heavy, but they had top reviews. The cases had cooling fins, hence the heaviness (see photo).

Testor continued to sell the front rotary valve .049 Red Head for a time, and included a tank mount (photo attached). They came out with an odd nylon with fiberglass reinforcement crankcase .049 that used a reed valve with an integral tank (photo attached).

The CL community still prefers the Red Heads over the Black Heads, because the Red Heads (photo attached) are lighter, as you can see from the photos. But some have taken the Black Head's ringed piston and sleeve and used them in the Red Head. From what I am told, the Black Head is better technology, the piston and cylinder doesn't wear out as quickly as the Red Head's due to the Dyke's piston ring.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:31 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Dec 2011
33 Posts
I have a McCoy 35 Blue head. I have seldom seem any info on engines with this colour heads. I presume that they were a run of the mill engine.
kiwi285 is offline Find More Posts by kiwi285
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:23 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
I thought the Blue Heads were the RC versions of the Red Heads, with an RC carburetor.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:27 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Dec 2011
33 Posts
Mine has no signs of having had an R/c throttle on it. It has the usual standard control line venture.
kiwi285 is offline Find More Posts by kiwi285
Last edited by kiwi285; Aug 18, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 06:06 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
Blue was the RC version

Right. However, the heyday of the Blue Heads was in the dual-needle era, before throttle devices became common, after which you saw Blue head McCoys with throttles, and fairly often without any RC anything about them. I never saw any throttled Red Head 19s-29s-35s. IMO, the best of the McCoys had the Lightning Bolt bypass decoration & matte finish.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is online now Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Aug 18, 2013, 07:19 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Ah yes, the two speed needle that had a separate valve that switched between the two needles. One needle was set to high speed, the other to something less than that closer to idle. Valve was switched from one position to the other via an escapement or servo. I imagine the "idle" was more of a slower 4 cycle than idle.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:31 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
Radio system advances 1950s - 1960s

The proportional servo was still in the future, and so were throttles. Both servos and escapements were full-on one way, full-on the other way, you "blipped" rudder, elevator, and throttle to achieve alternate levels of control deflection or engine power, with the interesting single channel variation that your handle references being rudders that constantly wiggled left and right, but could have the median rudder position varied for different turn radii.

I recall the pricing of the early proportional being a great deal higher than reed radio systems, beginning in the early 1960s, I think, so throttles started being practical from maybe 1964/1965 or so.

Kiwi
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:00 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,375 Posts
I never had any problems with the Testors .049's (same as Wen Mac Mk XIII). These were very easy to start and ran well.

I did have a couple of Series 21 .40's (an R/C and a U/C version) back in the 1970's and 1980's. These drove me crazy. I did not have a clue as to how to set up the Perry Carb on the R/C version (my fault, of course, not its), and the propeller backing plate seemed to come loose no matter how tightly you wrenched on the propeller nut (hence my introduction to the electric starter).

For the few years that I ran these motors, I had problems.

Being older, but definitely not wiser, I got the .40 R/C out again, cleaned it and attempted to start it (I did learn about Perry carbs, somewhat, in the intervening 35 to 40 years or so). Again, the propeller came loose when I flipped it (again, I resorted to the aforementioned electric starter-OK, a newer one, the original one is long gone). I got it to run, and got it to idle (it still had the crappy transition that the Perry was known for).

I took the propeller backing plate off, scuffed up the taper (the all, too steep taper) on the crankshaft, then the mating surface on the inside of the backing plate, cleaned them thoroughly, and applied a very small amount of JB Weld and tightened the propeller.

The propeller backing plate no longer comes loose when I flip the motor and it kicks back.

I filed a notch in the top of the rotation portion of the carb barrel to lean the mixture a bit more during idle and transition, and now have a reasonably good transition.

Since then, I have purchased several more McCoy Series 21 motors and have been able to flip start them and run them easily (all have the backing plate JB Welded on). I like them now, and like the way they run.

When I am able to start building U-Control ships again, I plan on using several of them.

Nice motors, a bit heavy, poor propeller backing plate to crank shaft setup.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:11 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
878 Posts
Poor grip on any but a mush soft wood prop

All McCoys suffered from poor thrust washer design. When parts for Torp GH engines were plentiful, the thrust washers from the 35 and 45, and the 29S, were a direct swap and had a much better grip on any prop made from a hard material. Some of the earliest of props were made from Gumwood, and were terrible things.

Kiwi
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:40 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,993 Posts
Guys, if you all have an interest in vintage glow engines, then you should take a look here -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1402733
Twin Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin Stack
Old Aug 19, 2013, 04:02 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
628 Posts
Here is my latest acquisition, a Testor McCoy .35 Red Head. After straightening the bent crankshaft (crash damage) and replacing the Crank Throw Spacer, it runs reasonably powerful, plan to put in on a .35 sized CL aircraft near future.

(And yes, to the horrors of some, I'm running 15% Omega R/C fuel with Castor oil added to up the oil content to 25%.)