SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

Vaabvud Smartphone Wind Meter

The Vaavud smartphone wind meter, enables you to take precise and reliable measurements of the wind speed anywhere!

Splash

Know the exact wind speed when you send your A/P - A/V rig up!

Knowing how fast the wind is blowing can mean the difference of shooting smooth clean video footage or simply wasted time with an A/P - A/V rig . In the past a separate stand alone unit was required to measure the wind speed, and most of these sold for around $100. Now thanks to Vaabvud you can use your smartphone and get the job done quickly, conveniently and accurately. And at $45 the unit is reasonably priced!

Introducing the Vaavud Smartphone Wind Meter.

Wind Meter

The Vaavud smartphone wind meter, enables you to take precise and reliable measurements of the wind speed anywhere, using your iOS or Android smartphone. And it allows you to see live wind readings from other users. So Vaavud can help you plan your trip, choose the right gear, and alert your friends of the conditions before they go.

Versatile

Know the exact wind speed when you rig up your surf gear, launch your AV multirotor or when you are out on the water in your boat etc. Or even use the Vaavud wind meter for scientific experiments.

Robust

There are no electronic parts in the Vaavud wind meter, and it is made of high performing plastics. It is resistant to water, sand, dirt, and whatever else you will come across!

Precise

The device has a wind range of 2 m/s up to 25 m/s, and has been tested and calibrated in a professional wind tunnel at the Technical University of Denmark.

Vaavud Smartphone Wind Meter

For more information check out: www.vaavud.com

Discussion

Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:24 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Cool idea. $45 = too expensive.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:13 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Cannot find the country United States in the country list for shipping.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 13, 2013, 08:01 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
That's pretty cool!
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
Old Aug 13, 2013, 08:27 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,045 Posts
i got a Kestrel 1000. I don't have, can't afford an iphone of clone of one, so my old cell phone and windmeter works great.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:25 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jan 2011
91 Posts
Here is A much better alternative...

Back in 2009, around the same time we started working on the first version of our iPhone app, someone said, ďHey, we should make an anemometer that plugs into your phone!Ē We all thought it was a great idea, and thatís what it stayed for four years: a great idea.

Until today! Weíre proud to announce the WeatherFlow Wind Meter - itís an anemometer that fits in your pocket. Itís the first hardware product we have created for the general wind- & weather-addicted community. Itís compatible with iPhone, iPad, iPod, and all major Android (coming soon) devices. And you are going to love it.

Download one of our free apps for iOS or Android (coming soon) and plug in your wind meter Ė itís really that easy. Hold it up high facing into the wind. Your phone does the rest by recording the wind speed (average, lull and gust), wind direction and location. Easily share onsite reports with WeatherFlow, Instagram, Vine, Twitter, SMS, Email, Facebook. And view all of this crowdsourced weather in one of our consumer applications.

The Wind Meter, although not a scientific instrument, is designed to be better than any other handheld anemometer on the market. Itís operating range extends from the smallest puff (2 mph) to well over hurricane force winds (125 mph). Calibrated at the University of Floridaís Aerospace Engineering Department, our Wind Meter is accurate to the larger of +/- 0.5% of the reading or 0.2 mph at up to 15į off-axis. That means even if you donít hold it directly into the wind, youíll still get very accurate wind speed information.
Not only do we have one of the most accurate and coolest handheld wind meters on the market, at $34.95 itís also one the most affordable. Weíre taking pre-orders now and expect to ship in August.
So what are you waiting for? Get one now!

Http://weatherflow.com/windmeter

ryanroberts1983 is offline Find More Posts by ryanroberts1983
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:44 PM
Just got sucked into it all!!
United States, MO, St. Peters
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
I agree this appears to be a much better solution but I think you just took the wind out of Vaavud's sales - pun intended.

I certainly like the pocket-ability of yours better. Care to throw us RCG folks a bone like free shipping, x% discount, buy 1 get 2 free (kidding)?

How does it determine direction? Does the top rotate with the wind direction? Not much info on your site to help with pre-ordering questions on function or a demo video?

Nice looking product though. Might just have to get one of these.
Quad Head is offline Find More Posts by Quad Head
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:06 PM
CPIAERIAL.COM
Iowa
Joined Sep 2006
423 Posts
I really need to stay off kickstater but I got one of the Vaabvud ones for $25 and it works awesome!
dizzane is offline Find More Posts by dizzane
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
Sebastopol, CA
Joined May 2006
446 Posts
What are the advantages over a 99 cent iphone app like this one? http://www.goingapps.com/Pages/default.aspx

Accuracy? I believe that. On the flip side, with the app you don't need to carry anything extra besides your phone. Having to carry around extra stuff kind of reduces the allure of both these to me. I guess the data sharing is cool if all your friends also get them.
IneptOne is offline Find More Posts by IneptOne
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:06 AM
Just got sucked into it all!!
United States, MO, St. Peters
Joined Jan 2013
229 Posts
Thanks IneptOne - I just spent a dollar and saved a bundle! Didn't have to call Geico either.
Quad Head is offline Find More Posts by Quad Head
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:58 AM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
My 2 cents: Three infallible, simple, inexpensive devices that always work.

1. For leveling: a water level.
2. For plumb: a plumb line.
3. For wind: a ribbon.

High tech is cool but not always the best or easiest solution.
I will be checking out the 99 cent iphone app. : )
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:29 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Cool idea. $45 = too expensive.
Thinking that most hand-held Kestrel wind gauges are double the cost of this, it seems like a good deal to me.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneptOne View Post
What are the advantages over a 99 cent iphone app like this one? http://www.goingapps.com/Pages/default.aspx

Accuracy? I believe that. On the flip side, with the app you don't need to carry anything extra besides your phone. Having to carry around extra stuff kind of reduces the allure of both these to me. I guess the data sharing is cool if all your friends also get them.
For a pro AV person, sometimes the difference from the brushless gimbal doing it's job perfectly and getting the shakes is around 2mph.

A friend recently noted that his gimbal could handle wind up to 20 mph, anything over and it would occasionally shudder. SO, why waste the time shooting if you can measure the wind is at 22mph or above? I think it's great to have that level of accuracy.
Sleepyc is offline Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:08 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneptOne View Post

This is cool if you own an iphone....
DeadTom is online now Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:13 PM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadTom View Post
This is cool if you own an iphone....
There are plenty for android as well. Just one example:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...indmeter&hl=en
balesse is online now Find More Posts by balesse