HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:45 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Question
DX8 lipo

What do you guys suggest using for lipo for a DX8?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
Eaton, Indiana
United States, IN, Granville
Joined May 2008
182 Posts
I have one of these in my DX8 ,, long time between charges,, the charger that comes with the radio will charge it.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Pack_.html
skyhawkdc is offline Find More Posts by skyhawkdc
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Was looking at the one. US warehouse is out of stock. Not sure if it's better to just wait or order from international.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Pulse has one now too. Bit more then HobbyKing but in the USA and cheaper the Spektrum:
http://www.helidirect.com/plutx-4000...tx-p-30656.hdx
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:48 AM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
I've been using the same pack as skyhawkdc for about 5 months -- like it a lot!
creelmt is offline Find More Posts by creelmt
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:27 PM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,151 Posts
Is it still possible to charge with the wall charger of Spektrum, delivered with the DX-8?
Or do you need to use a lipo charger?

The manual is not clear on this subject.
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
Eaton, Indiana
United States, IN, Granville
Joined May 2008
182 Posts
I have one of these in my DX8 ,, long time between charges,, the charger that comes with the radio will charge it.
skyhawkdc is offline Find More Posts by skyhawkdc
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
In the radio you set it to Lipo and then you use the wall charger that came with the DX8. Changing the setting also adjusts the low voltage warning and % left gauge. Main difference with the lipo is the light on the tx actually turns off when it's done. On the nimh I seem to remember it just keeps charging forever.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Aug 2013
28 Posts
Was looking at the one. US warehouse is out of stock.
tanasczn is offline Find More Posts by tanasczn
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:11 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
In the radio you set it to Lipo and then you use the wall charger that came with the DX8. Changing the setting also adjusts the low voltage warning and % left gauge. Main difference with the lipo is the light on the tx actually turns off when it's done. On the nimh I seem to remember it just keeps charging forever.
Thanks for the answer.
On the DX-8 the upper led (logo bars) are indeed on while charging. I did not notice it went off or changed colour when full with nimh. But I just have this DX-8 a few days, do my second charge now.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:59 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
Thanks for the answer.
On the DX-8 the upper led (logo bars) are indeed on while charging. I did not notice it went off or changed colour when full with nimh. But I just have this DX-8 a few days, do my second charge now.
They dont go off when charging NiMH, the charger just keeps going. There is only a cutoff for the LiPo and it is in the pack rather than the TX.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:01 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
They dont go off when charging NiMH, the charger just keeps going. There is only a cutoff for the LiPo and it is in the pack rather than the TX.
Hi, yes indeed. I found out. It keeps on charging, which is no problem with NiMH if the charge rate is not too high. The wall charger is 0.5
amps. Depending on what is inside the Spektrum NiMH pack, 1C continues charge is no problem. I estimate that it gets 0.1amp per cell, so should be no problem .

I wonder what is inside the 4 NiMH Spectrum pack. I guess, no Sanyo enerloop.
Switching to LiPo, I am not sure yet if that makes sense.
First I have to find out how long the transmitter can be active using the regular Spektrum NiMH. I am not a glider flyer, so 1 day flying without charging should be possible?
Last edited by TreeDiver; Aug 14, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:46 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Can't seem to find any statement but I would assume the stock nimh would last at least 10 hrs. The other thing though is those Spektrum nimh packs don't have the best reliability record.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:52 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Can't seem to find any statement but I would assume the stock nimh would last at least 10 hrs. The other thing though is those Spektrum nimh packs don't have the best reliability record.
10hrs of active use... that is 'allot'
Well, let's see how it goes. I went from a heavy MC-19 with 3300 NiMH to the DX-8

I always can put enerloops inside of it if the base pack is disappointing.
If they have the older 2500 Sanyo inside of it... wise to replace very soon. Because they are 'crap' quality.

4000 LiPo is of course way cool, but charging it using the stock wall adapter...eek...
LiPo charge needs balancer connection to my opinion. If the build in 'overcharge' protection fails..........
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:04 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
4000 LiPo is of course way cool, but charging it using the stock wall adapter...eek...
LiPo charge needs balancer connection to my opinion. If the build in 'overcharge' protection fails..........
Very low C battery and very slow charge/discharge rate it won't become very unbalanced. I don't see how charging with a standard charger with a balance connector is any less dangerous then charging this inside the tx. Both have an equal potential to malfunction.

Hangtime Hobbies (aka No BS batteries) has an Eneloop DX8 pack for $29.