HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Gregor99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:21 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
Discussion
Dual Powerlab Case Project

Here is my case for the Dual Powerlab. Note that the unit in these pictures is prototype used in the beta program. Production units will have a fit and finish more like the Powerlab6 and Powerlab8.

The project uses inexpensive aluminum case from Harbor Freight. There are two DPS-1001AB supplies running in parallel. 2000 watts from 220v and slightly less running on 120v. Two switches control power to the supplies separately. Status LEDs next to each switch let you know if the supply is on or if has faulted and turned off.

A third switch provides a high/low fan control. As the only fans in the case are those in the supply its important to be able to turn up the airflow when things get warm. Inside the case, airflow is controlled and all air is channeled through the supplies. The air intake is behind and below the charger. There's air gap between the main deck and base for the charger. There's also a large inlet near the back of the charger where rear supply support is sits.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Last edited by Gregor99; Aug 15, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:28 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,563 Posts
The USB ports are a nice touch and very useful! What's the weight of the completed case? Cheers
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Sep 14, 2013, 05:32 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
What's the weight of the completed case? Cheers
Thanks. As I recall its about 25 lbs. 14lbs are from the two supplies.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 04:49 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,802 Posts
Very nice. If you ever want to upgrade your power supplies and drop a good bit of weight... have a look at the mean well below.

http://www.progressiverc.com/mean-we...er-supply.html
tulz43 is offline Find More Posts by tulz43
Old Oct 03, 2013, 06:51 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43 View Post
Very nice. If you ever want to upgrade your power supplies and drop a good bit of weight... have a look at the mean well below.

http://www.progressiverc.com/mean-we...er-supply.html
Yes, that is a nice supply. I would have rather used that supply and seriously considered it. But it was also important to demonstrate that it can also be done with server supplies which is more affordable to most users. Perhaps when I re-work the case using a Pelican I'll go for the Meanwell.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:08 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined May 2011
4 Posts
Great case...What materials did you use for the deck?...I especially like how you created that recess for the DPL.
psnewman1 is offline Find More Posts by psnewman1
Last edited by psnewman1; Oct 03, 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:15 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
For the deck I used 1/4 plywood covered with an 1/8th inch closed cell foam. The foam was left over from another product, purchased with some other sound deadening products. You can get similar stuff at a foam store.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 11:52 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,802 Posts
Ah yea. That makes sense. What pelican case are you going to go with?
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:18 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulz43 View Post
Ah yea. That makes sense. What pelican case are you going to go with?
One in the storm line, probably in the iM2400. I already have an iM2600 and its a very nice case. But way too large.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:22 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
Also, I had originally planned on using acrylic for the top. But found the wood to be stronger, lighter and easier to work with. Wood is not as flashy. But I wanted foam on top to protect the packs. So it would have been covered up anyway.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 11:30 AM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,802 Posts
I think it looks really good the way you did it. I'll probably does something similar.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 04:37 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,162 Posts
Dual MPA Boards Possible?

I like the case and have a couple of questions:

(1) It appears that there is room, in front of the DPL, to hold two MPA boards. I assume that the space is to serve as a platform for the batteries, but in the field, as I fly 8S to 12S using double packs, parallel charging is the norm and I use both sides, double packs, more often than not.

Do you have plans to go the MPA route?

(2) I am puzzled about airflow under the DPL. You show a slot that the rear "ridge" can ride in, but what about airflow?

My current setup is a platform of coroplast mounted on 1" builders foam, but looking for a case to keep wires tidy, etc.

Thank you.

Michael
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 07, 2014, 01:58 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
There's room for two MPAs on the deck. But that wouldn't leave any room for the packs. I do have an MPA and works great.

For the airflow, here are the details:

1) Both supplies vent to the outside of the case on the left side.
2) The exhaust is sealed off from the rest of the case. This prevents the hot air from recirculating in the case and increase the vacuum level on the intake side.
3) There is a gap between the deck lid and the supplies. Some of the air intake comes from around the charger and between the gap in the deck and the supplies.
4) The rest of air intake comes from the back area behind the Powerlab. The airflow goes around the back to the right and then down toward the supply inlets. This helps pull away the hot air from the Powerlab during discharges.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:20 PM
Sun Lakes Radio Control Club
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2009
228 Posts
Power Supply External Plug

I liked the plug that you have on the side. Looks like a sealed cover. Where did you get it from? I am building my first case with feathermerchantrc supplies, and some power meters etc. But I really like the plug you have and the one you had before I think in 2006. Please share.

Thanks
JavRod is offline Find More Posts by JavRod
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
Thanks for the comments. This is the closest to the plug I used. http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-150BBI...words=ac+inlet

They are designed to be used on boats so they mount includes a nice gasket and the "plug" provides a nice seal. I'm pretty sure its not water proof. But its nice to be able to cover the pins during transport or when its not in use.