HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, GA, Macon
Joined Jun 2013
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchoytarcher View Post
E, thanks. That's where I plan on getting whatever quad I go with. Everything I've heard about them is great.

I was pretty sure all of the press I've seen about the Phantom was from a very small percentage of the actual users. It is a factor that I am keeping in mind. But from what everyone says, Horizon is a great company.

This Saturday I am going to Atlanta hobby. Going to look at all my options, first hand. I guess I need to also consider a flame wheel kit. Might be nice to build one with my son.

Thank you all very much for your input. I am so glad I joined here. Seems to be a great community of helpful people. Thanks again.
If Cliff is back in town grab him. He can give you every option and he really knows his stuff and shoots very straight with you.

Great guys.

E
edunwody is offline Find More Posts by edunwody
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Feb 2013
773 Posts
Not to make it more confusing, but you could also get a pre-built HT-450 quad from Ready to fly Quads complete with GPS and a Spectrum DXi for <$600. You could get one with a Naza light for slightly more than a phantom costs. I have a Naza version, and its a great quad, and you get excellent support with it as well.
AKCobra is online now Find More Posts by AKCobra
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2013
253 Posts
AK. That doesn't confuse things any more than they are. I have that site bookmarked already. Along with a few more like it. I am considering a basic quad like that one. If I go that route it will be the flame wheel. Atlanta Hobby has those. I don't have any problem building and setting one up. They have a couple different option as far as Naza and GPS are concerned.
nchoytarcher is online now Find More Posts by nchoytarcher
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:52 PM
RC Quad Noobie
Laos, Champassack
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
Thanks for this tread!!

Thanks for this tread "nchoytarcher"! It is exactly as if you were asking and responding my very thoughts and concerns! I have to be especially careful as there are no hobby shops around here (Laos) and the best is advice I've found anywhere is here in the RCGroups forums. I am a newbie, I have also started out on a micro (v939) and my wife also thinks I'm obsessive with my research. It's hard to fly here since it's monsoon season with flooded rice fields and the Mekong river so close by... it actually runs under my tiny bungalow! The v939 I bought in Thailand has been a test as one motor is weak and I'm now awaiting parts from Banggood for nearly a month now. Patience is a virtue... and it gives me time to slow down and get good answers!

Anyway thanks for all the right questions and thanks to everybody for all the great answers!
lanzdona is offline Find More Posts by lanzdona
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:09 AM
Ireland, Laois
Joined Aug 2013
17 Posts
I would like to second that lanzdona, this is a great thread for beginners and like everyone else I've being going round in circles trying to decide what to do. I'm looking to buy my first RTF quad (probably the Blade X350), but will start with a smaller model. I live on a place called Laois - one letter out from Laos (but many thousands of miles away ). However, I would like to start with a brushless mini quad that could potentially be upgraded such as the Butterfly X250 - goodluckbuy seem to have an ARF one in stock that just needs a battery and transmitter. With the right radio transmitter, the BNF version of the Blade X350 would do later.
crazyotterhound is offline Find More Posts by crazyotterhound
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined Apr 2013
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69 View Post
getting a reasonable radio from spektrum makes sense, bnf with blade stuff is easy and you'll get an Rx you can use on anything with it,

seriously though,
you don't need gps assist that the naza give to learn to fly, if you can blip around with an mqx or other mini you've probably outgrown the naza experience already,

kk2 auto level is pretty damn good and full manual is tame as anything with low stick scaling, really docile,

i don't understand why people are so scared of actually flying theses things without the safety blanket of gps and rth.

RTF limits you to what it is, if you choose your build your own setup to suit 'you' you'll get a better experience in the long run imo.
This is great advice. The best thing you can do is not to start with a Naza, because it basically discourages you to learn to fly. Build your own with a KK2 and you will figure out whether you eventually want to get into acro, AP or FPV...

If you go straight with a GPS enabled, expensive quad, you'll be too worried about crashing to ever have any fun.

And BTW - a great way to reduce vibrations for AP is using a wood frame... Wood: Cheap, easy to repair and great platform for video.
thinc2 is offline Find More Posts by thinc2
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:55 AM
Joined Aug 2013
253 Posts
Personally, I'm not looking for the GPS to make it easy so to speak. I am looking in that direction for one simple reason, I think its damn cool. I am a gadget junkie. Plain and simple. I can admit it. I am actually planning on getting a Blade, getting used to the hobby, and them me and my son are going to build a 450, flame wheel type quad. At this point the price of the Blade vs. the Phantom has made that decision easy (for me at least.) I will be preordering on Saturday. It just makes sense, to me, to get an easy to fly quad, for a great price, that can do what I want. I admit the safety is nice, and I look forward to learning how to fly to the point that I don't need it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:14 AM
Linwood NJ USA
Joined Oct 2004
1,164 Posts
Just get a phantom. I lot of the stories you hear are pilot errors.
Everyone is talking about the blade and how great it is it hasn't even come out yet !
I know the phantom is tough ! Plus I really think dji products are well made and high quality.
mori55 is offline Find More Posts by mori55
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Aug 2013
253 Posts
This is all great advice, exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread. I guess I can't really say what I'm going to do until I do it. I've narrowed it down to three. Blade, Phantom, or a 450 flame wheel with the Naza goodies.

I understand the debate between RTF and kit build. But these RTF kits are marketed towards a certain type of consumer. I am not ashamed to admit I am that consumer. New to the hobby, looking for something easy to fly, safe, and full of cool gadgets. I am a semi pro target archer, I understand how the allure of the next, best, shiny object that claims to make one better at what they do will draw customers. But I didn't get to where I am by buying those. I got there with LOTS of practice. I am simply looking for a quad platform that I can do that with, while also buying with somewhat of an education on where to start. The GPS, RTH, smart flying, and all of those modes are made (to a certain extent) to pull newbies like me in. Brilliant for the companies who make and market them. I, once again, admit that these bright shiny next best things pulled me into this hobby. I am glad I made this thread for one quite simple reason, experienced fliers like all of you who have contributed. You have definitely helped me. I think there should be a newbie thread on this forum where guys like you can post helpful tips, and info for guys like me.

Very much appreciated. I will soak up any info you are kind enough to add. I will also update on my choices and purchases.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:01 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I built several of my own quads, before buying the Phantom. I found setting up the features was a real pain-in-the-ass. Unless you spend the money on really good electronics, those features don't work so well, anyway. GPS signal was very hit or miss. I was constantly playing with different pucks, locations and mountings. The barometer for altitude hold had much more tolerance than I expected. I never got IOC to function the way I wanted and I ran out of channels. I don't really need this stuff, I just wanted to play. The Phantom made it painless.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:55 AM
RC Quad Noobie
Laos, Champassack
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzdona View Post
I'm now awaiting parts from Banggood for nearly a month now. Patience is a virtue...
I checked the progress my order again today... Somehow it got sent to the Dominican Republic!?! A far cry from Laos!
lanzdona is offline Find More Posts by lanzdona
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2013
253 Posts
I think I have just about settled on the Blade 350. The only factor keeping me from pulling the trigger is the stability of the Naza system. I am waiting for a video of the Blade holding as solid as the Phantom. If they put one out, I'm sold.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:23 PM
Multirotor geek
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Mar 2013
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I built several of my own quads, before buying the Phantom. I found setting up the features was a real pain-in-the-ass. Unless you spend the money on really good electronics, those features don't work so well, anyway. GPS signal was very hit or miss. I was constantly playing with different pucks, locations and mountings. The barometer for altitude hold had much more tolerance than I expected. I never got IOC to function the way I wanted and I ran out of channels. I don't really need this stuff, I just wanted to play. The Phantom made it painless.
So build up a NAZA and use the Phantom receiver on it, that way, you are already used to the controls and access the same functions . I literally just got done doing that a few minutes ago when I got the receiver in the mail today. Hooked it up to the NAZA asst, set everything up like the Phantom, and off I go.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
kenpoprofessor is online now Find More Posts by kenpoprofessor
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Jul 2013
48 Posts
Haven't contributed here yet, as I tend to just read obsessively and digest. I too have had the quad bug bite me. It all started 8 or so years ago, when I wanted to start with RC heli. I purchased the newest sim at the time (RF G3), and practiced & practiced...real life kept moving fast, and I never ended up actually buying & flying a heli. Fast forward to last month, I purchased a v929, and then a v222 from BG. These little things were awesome, but I lost the v222 due to the transmitter issues and decided it was time to move up.

I debated the Phantom vs. Walkera vs. Blade vs. 450, and ultimately purchased a prebuilt RTF 450 with a M1 Naza (no gps). It flies amazing and it is a lot of fun. I am slowly building up skill and trying to decide what my next addition will be. It might be GPS, but also thinking about FPV down the road.

I guess my advice would be get the flame wheel with a naza light w/o GPS, and add the GPS later if you want it. Its very durable, complete expandable, and low cost to repair.
Kravdog is offline Find More Posts by Kravdog
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:00 PM
Talk nerdy to me....
Joined Jun 2013
14 Posts
My n00b 2 cents....

I've had my Phantom for 4 months and what i'm finding out is that the Phantom is a gateway drug for bigger and better.

You say you want a quad, something easy and RTF.
Then you buy a camera because heck, its set up for that.
Now all of a sudden you want a gimbal.
Great, now that you have the camera and gimbal it only makes sense to add FPV.

This is where I am right now... $1,600 later, wishing I had bought and built my own 450. And, pretty soon I'm going to want that better controller with more switches that I should have bought in the first place.
Trust me!! In the long run, building your own is the cheaper way to go. It may be a little more work but I think it would have been cheaper!!

It's a good thing I have several friends that want to buy my custom hod rod Phantom.
Z714x4 is offline Find More Posts by Z714x4