3 Posts
Question
RC Planes Simulator

Hello everybody

it's my first post here , i'm following this forum's topics from a while

i'm beginner and i'm looking for a RC Simulator

a stable one and flexible

and with it i can Create Planes , make Airfoils and Customize Weather

anyone nominate to me a good simulator ?

BTW . i don't have an Interlink or Joystick . i.e i want to use simulator via keyboard .

thanks a lot
mohamediarafa is offline Find More Posts by mohamediarafa
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:03 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Why do you want to use a keyboard to fly a rc plane rather than a tx ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:45 AM
Joined Sep 2008
149 Posts
Unfortunately none of the commercial simulators that I know of allow anyone to create their own airfoils. Realflight is the only one that I know of that allows armatures to create their own 3D models and import them into the sim. They have LOADS of airfoils in the physics editor though, so I don't think it is necessary to create your own airfoil from scratch.

Most people use the student licensed 3DS Max to create their models. It's the full version of 3DS Max and the license is good for 3 years. I have my own commercial license of 3DS Max, but I'm a graphic artist freelancer, so unless you are planning on making money with the software it's not worth it to you to shell out $4,000.00 bucks. Also, Knifeedge software has a plugin for 3DS Max 2012 and previous versions to export to their file format (.kex), so it's quite easy to get a model into the sim.

Another alternative is X-Plane. I know you can import your own created models into the sim and there are people who've made RC aircraft for it, but I don't find the physics works out to great for small RC type aircraft. I'm also unsure of the process you need to take to get a model into the sim. They do have their own creation tools and I think it allows you to model with their software, but I have no idea of the complexity involved with it. I've always used 3DS Max to create models.

X-Plane is also the only sim I can think of that you can fly RC aircraft with something other than an Interlink or a dongle for your own TX like in Phoenix. I do have to agree with the first reply in that if you are wanting to learn RC then why use a keyboard to fly? I'm not judging you or ridiculing your idea, but if you are in it to learn to fly RC then that is one thing. If you just want to get your own models into the program and fly them, then that is another.
mwilson914 is offline Find More Posts by mwilson914