HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2004, 11:39 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
What Have You Got Hangin' On Your Stick?

Most have seen my cam install - this is an "artsy" look...

Ready for bomb damage recon - you'll get it in a minute...

Watt Noise?
Kevin
wattnoise is online now Find More Posts by wattnoise
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2004, 11:41 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
Today's "hang"...

Watt Noise?
Kevin
Old Feb 07, 2004, 11:44 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
Bombs Away!... Great shot taken by daveWCO... One bomb stayed "hung", though... Working on that release mechanism...

Watt Noise?
Kevin
Old Feb 07, 2004, 11:49 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
I've posted paper airplanes launched from my SS before... It would be fun to try to take one of these micro sticks aloft and release it from an SS... Andy's (brucie1dog) micro stick maidened today... Amazingly flew nice - even in some wind!... (7 or 8 MPH)

Watt Noise?
Kevin
Old Feb 07, 2004, 11:51 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
OT for the thread - just a good pic from last weekends flying I thought I'd share... Doug's Flyboy 2...

Watt Noise?
Kevin
Old Feb 07, 2004, 11:56 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
Some of the last flying of the day today... daveWCO giving his TM pre-flight verbal instructions... Little did the little TM know that the dreaded limbo was about to be flown by the mad-minded pilot...

Watt Noise?
Kevin
Old Feb 08, 2004, 12:02 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
Lest anyone worry about the composition of the SS "bombs"... They were made of the cardboard centers of toilet paper rolls with paper fins and a plastic bottle cap for a nose... AUW = 0.7 oz... Drop area was cleared of all wildlife prior to release of the device...

Watt Noise?
Kevin
Old Feb 08, 2004, 01:07 AM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Kevin,

Nice pics of the bombing run, sorry to hear of the "hanger", I suppose it wouldn't have been practical for a crewman to go aft and kick it out of the bomb bay .

I presume Dave supervised the "clearing of the wildlife" ?

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Feb 08, 2004, 03:05 AM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
Kevin:

Nice bombs! Let's fill them with flea powder and target the ground trooper pigeons next time. Or perhaps some of the folks hanging around the grounds?

Andy:

Yes, I'm the Supervisor of "Wildlife Clearing." Even Doc Doolitle would be surprized (or horrified) with my ability to clear wildlife from any given area. I think part of my "talent" simply stems from the stench my truck and clothing waft into the air.

Dave
daveWCO is offline Find More Posts by daveWCO
Old Feb 08, 2004, 08:58 AM
Chandler Williams, Arizona, United States
Joined Nov 2002
1,239 Posts
Neat stuff going on down there. Wattnoise, any more pictures of that flyboy 2 ? do you know who makes it?

Thanks

Kenny..
Rip-N-Burn is offline Find More Posts by Rip-N-Burn
Old Feb 08, 2004, 12:55 PM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,277 Posts
Kenny,

Doug (the one with his back turned in the pic) is the US distributor for the Flyboy series - there's an FB15, FB1, and an FB2... I keep trying to get him to get on here and introduce himself to everyone... I know alot of people around here would like the added choices in electric planes that he offers... I know I have other pics of it - I'll scrounge them out of the files and post 'em for you... Maybe I can get him off the stick with this inquiry, update his website, and become an eZoner, too...

Hey, Andy... I've found it very handy to have a WCO around since I met Dave a few months ago... All creatures know to tow the line when he shows up lest they be snared and transported to deserted locations unknown...

Watt Noise?
Kevin
Old Feb 08, 2004, 02:58 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
my Slowstick payload

What's all that green stuff around you, and where are your winter coats?!

Here's version 1 of my rotating camera mount, more of a proof-of-concept than the final product. Works good, offers rotation from 20 degrees down left through 20 degrees down right. No special linkages, just a long servo arm. I'll be improving it with either a gear or belt drive to get a full 180 degree movement without binding.

Support verticals are 1/16" ply with 1/16" balsa along the fuse. Camera cradle is four plies of 1/64" plywood strips, soaked, bent, and CA'd to shape. Axles are 10-32 nylon bolts. I used blind nuts with the spikes removed to secure the bolts and provide a bearing surface in the ply hangers.

Pics from the first test (yesterday) are in the AP forum. For those who are unfamiliar with the rust belt, the white stuff on the ground in the aerials is snow.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Last edited by Kinnicē; Feb 08, 2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2004, 08:36 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
Kinnic2:

Nice! You have outdone yourself!

Dave
Old Feb 08, 2004, 09:06 PM
Silent Flight
Tucson, AZ USA
Joined Oct 2002
3,948 Posts
Kenny:

The Flyboy II is really something to behold! I'll dig around for some more picts, too.

Doug's really missing out by not introducing the Flyboy series here on E Zone. I think they would be a big hit, especially for pilots who live in windy areas.

Dave
Old Feb 08, 2004, 09:22 PM
Texas
Joined Nov 2003
97 Posts
My release system

Hah, I was going to start a thread of this nature but then I found this one! I've got a little game I play with my new slow stick. I haul up a paper airplane real high, relase it and try to nail it on it's way down. I should make a video of it as it is quite entertaining. The prop tears it up and then the paper airplane spirals to it's death where I pick it up after the ss victory landing and trash it. I used the traditional 'dart' paper airplane but found these to be less of a challenge so I moved up to one that bounces around and flys in circles. It might be good practice for a combat pilot as I bet it improves your hand eye depth perception cooridination. Here are some pics...
Plugnplay is offline Find More Posts by Plugnplay