HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Olivier_C, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 09, 2013, 01:10 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,732 Posts
Discussion
Multicopter Guide : DJI Naza and Futaba 14SG/RX7008 in SBUS2 mode incl. telemetry

How to configure the Naza and the Futaba 14SG and its bundled SBUS-2 receiver the RX7008SB, so it works in SBUS mode.
This is now possible since the newest DJI 3.16 firmware.
Before this, only SBUS(1) receivers would work.

WARNING!
This guide was made with the Futaba 14SG running the v 2.0.1 firmware (some fixes, and the speech feature).
I noticed a change in the way the PROG. MIX. is working between my previous firmware 1.2 and this 2.0.1
Be very careful that the Failsafe Force and Flight Mode switches are working as intented in the DJI assistant software !

Updated 09/AUG/2013 : Corrected the PROG.MIX. section so it works with the new 2.0.1 firmware for the 14SG.
Updated 10/AUG/2013 : Changed the order of the PROG.MIX. and FAILSAFE sections, more photos.
Updated 13/JAN/2014 : Newest 14SG firmware is now the 3.0 : http://www.futaba-rc.com/software-updates.html
Updated 20/MAY/2014 : Newest 14SG firmware is now the 4.0 : http://www.futaba-rc.com/software-updates.html
-------------------------------------

Needed :

- Futaba 14SG radio
- Futaba SBUS-2 receiver : RX7008SB or RX2008SB. Or any SBUS receiver.
- DJI Naza flight controller, any full version (V1, V2). Warning, SBUS mode with a SBUS2 receiver will not work with a Naza lite !
- A multicopter ! For this guide I have a DJI F450 Flamewheel quad.

The instructions below are for a mode 1 radio setup (Throttle+ailerons on the right, elevator+rudder on the left).
For all the other modes you'll just have to swap J1 and J4 and/or J2 and J3 in the menu LNK > FUNCTION.

Placing the switches is a matter of personal taste of course, my way is not any better than an other (I'm kidding, mine is vastly superior).
Just an advice, it may be smart to put the flight mode switch opposite side of the throttle stick, because when you switch between GPS/ATT and MANUAL, it's much safer if you keep your hand on the throttle, that's the input that require the most attention.

Also its a good habit to have ALL the switches pushed all the way up (or down), at take-off.
If you have the switches arranged in a random mess, after few models it's almost impossible to recall if everything is where it should be.

Flight mode switch : Up = GPS, Center = ATT, Down = Manual
Failsafe switch : Up = Nothing, Down = Failsafe
IOC switch : Up = Disabled, Center = Course lock, Down = Home lock
Flight mode + Failsafe combos : GPS+FS=FS, ATT+FS=FS, MAN+FS=Nothing
Turning off the radio will trigger the Return To Home feature.

*** First !

- Remove the propellers
- Bind the TX and the RX together, the 14SG manual is there : http://www.futaba-rc.com/downloads/manuals.html

*** How to set the Futaba RX7008/2008 for SBUS mode

- Power off the receiver
- Hold the tiny link button pressed (on the RX!)
- Power on the receiver
- Briefly press the link button until you get 2 short red flashes, for mode 2 (B) if you need no more than 7 channels.
- If you need more than 7 channels you can go for the mode 4 (D), just have to display 4 red blinks instead of 2. You'll then get up to 14 channels (depending of the mode set on the TX). Ch. 1 to 7 on the SBUS plug (#8), and from 9 to 12-14 on the normal outputs (from #1 to #6).
- Keep the link button pressed until it goes back to perma-green.

Mode 1 (A) = 8 normal channels (from 1 to 8) on outputs #1 to #8
Mode 2 (B) = 7 normal channels (from 1 to 7) on outputs #1 to #7, and #8 is SBUS
Mode 3 (C) = 6 normal channels (from 9 to 14) on outputs #1 to #6
Mode 4 (D) = 6 normal channels (from 9 to 14) on outputs #1 to #6, and #8 is SBUS

Nothing should go on the #9 that's reserved for specific SBUS-2 servos or telemetry (said Futaba, not tested myself).

*** Wiring

Plug the DJI PMU (JR plug) into the Naza X3 port, for the +5V supply and the Naza-to-USB signal.
Put a JR cable between the Naza X2 port and the 8th output on the RX7008/2008 (the SBUS port, NOT the SBUS-2)
Remove all other wires if you had a non-SBUS (aka "traditionnal") setup previously.

I say it again, we only need these 2 cables :
- First is the Naza PMU into the Naza X3 port
- Second is between the receiver SBUS port (#8) and the Naza X2 port.

*** In DJI assistant software

- Get the latest assistant from DJI : http://www.dji.com/download/naza-m-v2-downloads/
- Let the software upgrade the Naza to the newest firmware
- In the Tools menu, press "Restore default setting"
- In the Basic/RC tab, set "Receiver type = D-Bus"
- Set all channel ways to "NORM"
- Calibrate the compass, run the advanced IMU calibration, or the IOC toggle box won't work
- Check the voltage protection levels, if you're using this feature.
- Set the GPS position, X or + quad or hexa or octo etc, see the DJI manual for all this.
http://www.dji.com/download/naza-m-v2-downloads/

*** The radio

Assignments :
Channel / Naza Function / TX function / TX input / Comment
----------------------------------
1 / AIL / AIL / J1
2 / ELE / ELE / J3 / REVERSE
3 / THR / THR / J2 / REVERSE
4 / RUD / RUD / J4
5 / X1 / LD / GEAR / Left dial, remote basic gains, REVERSE
6 / X2 / SD / VPP / Intelligent Orientation Control, REVERSE
7 / U / SA / AUX5 / Flight mode, REVERSE
12 / -- / -- / AUX6 / Dummy channel, used by the Failsafe Force switch.

LNK > MODEL TYPE :

LNK > SYSTEM :

Can choose either the 12 or 14 channels mode, I went for the FASSTEST 12CH mode instead of the 14CH-MULT because I may remember the 12CH mode is a bit more responsive than the 14CH, but not 100% certain...

LNK > FUNCTION (PG1) :
There you'll have to change the inputs J1 J2 J3 J4 if you're not flying mode 1.

LNK > FUNCTION (PG2) :

LNK > FUNCTION (PG3) :

LNK > REVERSE :

Warning, be sure throttle is REVERSED !

LNK > ENDPOINT (PG1) :

All there is default, it's a very bad idea to change the endpoints for the sticks.

LNK > ENDPOINT (PG2) :

Endpoints for Ch.7/AUX5 to get a proper GPS/ATT/MAN for the flight mode switch.
Endpoints for Ch.5/GEAR to get a moderate range for the remote gains.
If we don't set endpoints there the remote gains are like from 50 to 200%, a bit too wide range.

MDL > PROG. MIX

This one is to offset the flight mode channel with a switch (SB), to force the failsafe mode of the Naza.

MDL > PROG. MIX > MIX#1 (PG1) :

MDL > PROG. MIX > MIX#1 (PG2) :

On this screen you'll also have to Highlight the "--" to set the switch SB as control...

MDL > PROG. MIX > MIX#1 (PG2) :

Set the switch SB as control, then highlight the ON/OFF condition on the right, RTN...

And set the switch to be active when down, and inactive when up or centered....

Now check in the DJI assistant that the flight mode switch and force failsafe switch are working well, this is critical !
SA up (GPS) and SB up, Naza should be in GPS mode
SA up (GPS) and SB down, Naza should be in Failsafe mode
SA centered (ATT) and SB up, Naza should be in ATT mode
SA centered (ATT) and SB down, Naza should be in Failsafe mode
SA down (MAN) and SB up, Naza should be in MANUAL mode
SA centered (MAN) and SB down, Naza should be in no particular mode (there's no failsafe in manual mode)

If its not all aligned well, try to tweak the "60" value in the first page of the prog mix.

LNK > FAILSAFE (PG1) :

To set the value (between -20 and -40%), go to the THR line, POS column, put the throttle stick for a slow descent and keep RTN pressed at least 1 second.

LNK > FAILSAFE (PG2) :

To set the value (+39% here), go to the POS column, put the flight mode switch (SA) in GPS position, pull the FS switch (SB) down in active position, and keep "RTN" pressed at least 1 second. What we're doing here is recording the position that the RX will send to the Naza if the radio link is gone.

*** Back in the DJI assistant

- Center the remote gain dial, and enter as basic gains :
For the old DJI Opto 30A (White color) : 140 140 100 120
For the new DJI Opto 15A (Black color) : 110 110 900 120

You should then get these gains, that are usually fine for a F450 sized quad :
For other kinds of frames you'll have to dig into the DJI manual and the RCG forums.

Min (dial full left) : 100 100 83 100
Zero (dial centered) : 120 120 100 120
Max (dial full right) : 150 150 125 150

Attitude gains : 100 / 100.
No remote, we need the X2 for IOC.
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Jul 27, 2014 at 02:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:06 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,732 Posts
*** Software checks

- Check that everything is moving as expected in the DJI assistant.
- Turn off the radio to check that the FailSafe/Return To Home is working, it should highlight "FAILSAFE" in blue above the mode slider.

*** Hardware checks

- Still with NO propellers, unplug the USB and :

Power cycle the Naza, wait until the orange warm up is done...
CSC in manual mode to start the motors, and set about 20% throttle.
Push the ELE stick forward, you should hear the 2 rear motors speeding up.
Pull ELE toward you, should be the 2 front motors speeding up.
Same for AIL, stick left will speed up right motors, etc
About yaw, right rudder will speed up front right and rear left.
Left rudder will speed up front left and rear right.
Of course that was for a quad, if you've got an hexa/octo, your business

*** Optional : Telemetry voltage port, and alarm (vibration)

... to monitor the voltage of the main Lipo.
First you'll need the outrageously priced Futaba part : http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCFVY&P=SM
That goes in the tiny plug at the back of the RX.
Or just the plug alone : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17458
... and you'll add a small (about 1A) fuse serial.
Or if you're feeling brave (I am!), you can directly solder 2 wires to lets say a female JR, then a male JR.
Anyway whatever the method, you'll connect this directly to the main power board. Or any of the ESC pads.
Do not mess up with the + and the -, or say goodbye to one of the most expensive receiver on the market.

Then just press HOME once, and that's it, nothing to configure, it's there.
1st value is the voltage provided by the Naza PMU to the Naza FC and the RX.
2nd value is the main battery voltage.
When airborne, you just have to press HOME to alternate between the battery voltage and the timer(s).

LNK > TELEM. SET (PG2) :
There you can set how often the radio will read you the datas.
Note that you'll need to plug an earphone or a small outside speaker, there's no speaker inside the radio.

You just press HOME to get there :

Highlight EXT-VOLT and press RTN to set the alarm as follow.
I recommend 14.2V for a 4S Lipo (3.55V per cell), for a 3S you'll multiply this by 0.75 (=10.7V)
The TX will then vibrate when the voltage goes below.
3.55V/cell should give you a resting voltage of 3.7V/cell when the copter is landed.

You can set a switch to turn ON/OFF the speech if you want, I went for SG.

*** Optional : Set a throttle-controlled timer and alarm (beep)

How to set a timer, throttle-stick controlled.
First you have to RTN the little "1" left of the timer itself...

You'll have to find your own delay there, my F450 is flying between 9 and 11 minutes, so I went for a safe 8 minutes.

To set the start and stop conditions, you have to RTN right of START and STOP, then choose the throttle stick.
For my mode 1 setup that's J2, then select the ON/OFF, RTN, ...

The condition for the START on J2 (throttle stick) : Above 25% :
You have to set the throttle as the desired position, highlight SET, and double-tap RTN.

The condition for the STOP : J2 below 10% :

Last step, optional, a reset assigned to the spring-loaded switch SH :
That's to quickly reset the timer between 2 Lipos.
Or you can just hold RTN when the timer is highlighted in the main screen.

Once you find the good value for the timer, and if you set 14.6V and 14.0V as 1st and 2nd voltage protection levels in the DJI assistant (for a 4S!), at the end of your flights this should happen, in order :

- Naza LED sometime blinking red during hard climbs.
- TX timer beginning to beep.
- Naza LED perma-blinking red.
- Now is a good time to begin to come back.
- TX will vibrate because of the low voltage alarm on the main battery.
- Now is a good time to land.
- If you insist and go on, the Naza 2nd level voltage protection will trim down the throttle before the Lipo dies for good.

*** The end :

- Put back the props, in the correct way, else all we've done above is for nothing.
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; May 23, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:19 PM
Joined Mar 2013
254 Posts
Great write-up! Very informative & helpful. Thanks a bunch
simensays is offline Find More Posts by simensays
Old Oct 13, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Oct 2013
3 Posts
can someone confirm me that the sbus is also working on the naza lite?
vincentan is online now Find More Posts by vincentan
Old Oct 20, 2013, 12:50 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2013
584 Posts
Since everything is connected through Sbus and the naza essentially has all the gps, voltage, speed, heading, data etc ... It would be awesome if futaba or dji got working together and channeled that info down through the telemetry options on the 14sg.
Phantom604 is offline Find More Posts by Phantom604
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video Resources - For Beginners
Old Nov 22, 2013, 05:59 AM
Joined Nov 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom604 View Post
Since everything is connected through Sbus and the naza essentially has all the gps, voltage, speed, heading, data etc ... It would be awesome if futaba or dji got working together and channeled that info down through the telemetry options on the 14sg.
That would be Awesome! Come on DJI, I know you can do this!
youngbill is offline Find More Posts by youngbill
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2013
14 Posts
Unfortunatley the telemetry works on SBUS2 and the DJI stuff is on SBUS (1).

I bought the Robbe GPS module for futaba SBUS2, it's much better priced than the Futaba module and it works just as well. It is a bit bigger though.

Unfortunately the latest firmware for the TF14SG only allows you to show 4 things on the telemetry screen, so I can't see all the things the Robbe module shows me, but I do get the important things. The older firmware allowed you to have telemetry 'pages' so you could change screen to see more. I hope that Futaba, in the next firmware version, makes it possible to display much more information by wasting less space on the telemetry screen. We can't all afford to pay $3000 for their top of the line colour-screen TX.

wokwon is offline Find More Posts by wokwon
Old Dec 11, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Hi

I have tried like descripted but it works only by using SBUS2
(SBUS not active on NAZA)

Note : I have upgraded all Firmwares:
- NAZA : V4.02
- T14SG : V 3.0

Is it specific Settings in Transmitter to select SBUS instead SBUS2 ?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Regards

JP
verdi is offline Find More Posts by verdi
Old Dec 11, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3 Posts
@verdi

I have since few days a FUTABA 14SG , and I am getting crazy to make it working , can you please send me the setting file of your 14SG already working , it will be very nice
I habe a F450 NAZA V2 with 4.02

regards
Totuccio is offline Find More Posts by Totuccio
Old Dec 12, 2013, 05:12 PM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,615 Posts
On oldish thread seems to be coming to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdi View Post
Hi

JP
From memory if you look at the Futaba instruction manual fairly near the beginning it tells you how to set the RX up for SBUS so it's something between the TX and RX rather than the Naza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totuccio View Post
@verdi

I have since few days a FUTABA 14SG , and I am getting crazy to make it working , can you please send me the setting file of your 14SG already working , it will be very nice
I habe a F450 NAZA V2 with 4.02
regards
I don't think computers see it as a recognisable file, if you download updates to a card from the Futaba site, it stores the info on the card and your TX can see it but the computer can't see it on the card but I could be wrong!!

Oliver, I came across this thread again as I've become paranoid about Failsafe and looked back at the TX failsafe settings above and you leave aileron, elevator and rudder on hold. Theoretically, if you were full aileron and the TX / RX lost connection, whilst it'd go into a nice throttle to descend slowly, it'd still keep it's hard aileron input as it would "Hold" it ???
Isn't it better to switch on the failsafe for them instead of hold ie last input and set them at zero ie level flight in GPS or ATTI mode ??
Witterings is online now Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 15, 2013, 09:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
67 Posts
Futaba 8FGS for Phantom with gimbal

I have 8FGS (not the 14) and have programmed it for Phantom using the same position of switches in the Phantom stock TX plus added a failsafe switch for any control mode condition. I have added centering throttle for the 8FGS so it also mimics the newer Phantom TXs. Finally put the tilt on the LD knob. I would like to know how to adjust the LD so that when the pointing dot on the LD knob is straight up, the GoPro points horizontal AND rotating the LD knob clockwise moves the GoPro pointing down. As it is, it is pointing where shown in the picture when the GoPro is horizontal and i need to turn it counterclockwise to go down.
I have uploaded the ffs file of this configuration created by using the Futaba FFS.EXE file (ver 3.0) and added .TXT extension to it so I could upload it here. If you want to try it, I believe you can download it (save as) and then remove the .TXT extension in order to import into FFS program and then load it on your SD card to then copy on to your 8FGS. Please let me know how it works for you. Works for me but want to revise the tilt as above and maybe do other stuff.
nhirsch is offline Find More Posts by nhirsch
Last edited by nhirsch; Dec 15, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 05:07 AM
Joined Oct 2013
37 Posts
Here is a copy of my F-550. I used the Futaba File utility to export it. I used different switchs more traditional to a Helicopter. I also have the tilt set up for the camera gimbal and I use channel 8 to switch between cameras as its an FPV setup.

F-550
w1msg is offline Find More Posts by w1msg
Old Dec 23, 2013, 09:23 PM
USA
Joined Aug 2003
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verdi View Post
Hi

I have tried like descripted but it works only by using SBUS2
(SBUS not active on NAZA)

Note : I have upgraded all Firmwares:
- NAZA : V4.02
- T14SG : V 3.0

Regards

JP
I just received my naza m lite today. I was looking for instruction to set it up with my 14sg. I did notice these instruction say to use ch8/sbus but on the dji site the video tutorial is showing x2 is plug into sbus2 which is the only horizontal connection on futaba r7008sb.
metroplex is offline Find More Posts by metroplex
Old Feb 19, 2014, 03:24 AM
Addicted To Watts
Joined Feb 2014
100 Posts
Great post it saved me hours of setting up I just brought a T14SG
WattsinThat is offline Find More Posts by WattsinThat
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:10 PM
Joined Feb 2014
92 Posts
Hey Olivier,

Thank you so much for this tutorial!! I got everything setup exactly as you described, everything is working prefect except my ch5 LD dial for basic gain. I followed your detraction to a tee but gains will not move in software while I move LD dial.. I looked over it 20 times and can not figure it out. I have naza m v2, T14SG and F550. Any possible idea what it could be?

Thamnk you so much!'

"*** Back in the DJI assistant

- Center the remote gain dial, and enter as basic gains : 120 120 100 120

You should then get these gains, that are usually fine for a F450 sized quad :
For other kinds of frames you'll have to dig into the DJI manual and the RCG forums.

Min (dial full left) : 100 100 83 100
Zero (dial centered) : 120 120 100 120
Max (dial full right) : 150 150 125 150

Attitude gains : No remote, we need the X2 for IOC.
I'd recommend a static value at 100 100."

Roman
Romanvm is offline Find More Posts by Romanvm