HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2013, 02:15 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
233 Posts
Question
Motors for Revell Type VII sub

I have just completed a Revell Type VII sub and need advice on the correct motor selection.The boat is set up for dynamic diving and have installed two brushed motors from a Double Horse 9100 helicopter part number 9100-10.They were the only ones that were available and would fit. I have checked the current draw and at full speed is total of 8.4 amps for both. However I am finding due to the confined space in the WTC the temperature of the motors is excessive and unacceptable.
Could somebody advise me on what type of motors they are using.I have thought maybe of going to geared motors to possibly reduce the operating temperature.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
fly4fun6719 is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun6719
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2013, 10:45 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,798 Posts
Most are using motors with a gear box. One recommended unit is the GWS-GW-LPS-RXC-CS motor gearbox for a static diving model. You could try one with a lower gear ratio.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Aug 08, 2013, 04:11 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Bob View Post
Most are using motors with a gear box. One recommended unit is the GWS-GW-LPS-RXC-CS motor gearbox for a static diving model. You could try one with a lower gear ratio.
I would agree and have found a Hong Kong hobby shop selling a motor/gearbox combo they say is suitable.Seals for the output shaft were ordered at the same time.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 04:48 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
294 Posts
Hi

Can you tell me from whom did you buy the motor/gearbox combo and the seal and their specs/prices?

Thanks

George
George Jure is offline Find More Posts by George Jure
Old Sep 01, 2013, 04:38 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Jure View Post
Hi

Can you tell me from whom did you buy the motor/gearbox combo and the seal and their specs/prices?

Thanks

George
Apologies for not replying sooner but have only received the motors and seals in the last week. I installed them and carried out some tests but have found the speed of the sub is way too slow.The quality of the motor/gearbox and seals are good however as I said the speed is just not good enough.However if you wish to try them I purshased them from EBAY from a store called rc-sub-workshop.I don't know where to go from here as the small direct motors used in the past are not lasting long before they overheat and burn out.
Old Sep 01, 2013, 09:09 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
294 Posts
Hi fly4fun6719

Thanks for the info. I have heard of that company and seen them on ebay.

George
Old Sep 02, 2013, 04:15 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Hi fly4fun6719

Thanks for the info. I have heard of that company and seen them on ebay.

George
No problems.They seem to post very quickly and reply to most emails.When I questioned them about the suitability of the motor/gearbox that I purchased for the Type VII they suggested another one which would have been worse( It was only 1100RPM @ 12 volts).Since then I haven't able to get them to answer my emails.
I have been searching through all my "junk"and found a pair of larger direct drive motors that will just squeeze into my WTC so will see how long they will last.
Hows the weather in Hamilton? My lovely wife has relatives in St Catharines which I think is not to far from you.
Last edited by fly4fun6719; Sep 02, 2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: adding information.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:00 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
294 Posts
Hello Again fly4fun6719

Sorry for the late reply. Well here in my area, Hamilton, St. Catharines it`s still warm with humidity. Strange that you have a connection here. Most of my family are there in the Melbourne area. I was born in Wallawong NSW and came here.

Also forgot to mention that seller is not the best to buy product from. From what I `ve read in other sites. They have NO working model to show videos of and there stuff is somewhat pricey. And like you said at first great email replies then they get slower and stop.

I would try some of the Special sites for advice on Submarine gear

George
Old Sep 03, 2013, 09:47 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Hello Again fly4fun6719

Sorry for the late reply. Well here in my area, Hamilton, St. Catharines it`s still warm with humidity. Strange that you have a connection here. Most of my family are there in the Melbourne area. I was born in Wallawong NSW and came here.

Also forgot to mention that seller is not the best to buy product from. From what I `ve read in other sites. They have NO working model to show videos of and there stuff is somewhat pricey. And like you said at first great email replies then they get slower and stop.

I would try some of the Special sites for advice on Submarine gear

George
My wife and sister-in-law emigrated to Canada in the 60's. My future wife returned home to Aus a few years later and my sister-in-law stayed and married a French/Canadian and lived in St Catharines.We have a niece living in Toronto and a nephew living in the states.
Still haven't received a reply to my last email to that EBAY site
Old Sep 03, 2013, 10:34 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
294 Posts
Hi fly4fun6719

Wow that is some incredible family connections. As for the ebay company, that`s one of the complaints about them.

George