SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2004, 02:05 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
NO-CAL Corsair build.

Primarily a test bed for an uncomming Dumas Walnut scale conversion. Based on NO-CAL plans from Paul/Ralph Bradly's site. JMP combo RX, std actuators, rudder and elevator. Coming along nicely so far.

I choose 1/16" sheet for the front of the fuse as I'm going to need something to mount the equipment.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2004, 02:16 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Wings were next. I decided to use 1/32" sheet to save the trouble of wet forming all the curved outlines. I also figured that the stock wing would need a spar added to carry the R/C gear anyway. Cut a total 8 ribs based on the upper surface of the NO CAL rib. One pair of 1/16 for the root ribs that mate with the fuse. Laid out the mounting location on the fuse side and drilled 2 small holes through all 3 pieces for alignment and added strength. Rest of the ribs are 1/32" balsa. Made up dihedrial templates to set the angles on the ribs as they were glued to the wing. Major hasssle, but still beats wet forming the outlines. The 1/32" sheet balsa wing section were sanded flush with the ribs and just butt glued with CA. Another pair of ribs were planned for the outer wing panels. But, the wing has some washout built in w/o them. Adding the ribs would probably have the same effect. Using a refrence mark at the front of the ribs and trimming the TE to fit builds wash out into the NO CAL designs. I should also mention that I really tried to use Ambroid glue and did for the fuse. The smell brought back memories. I really didn't consider it for the wings as I used tape and fingers to hold the parts when building the wing. It's about time for another pic. You can see the alighment pins (toothpicks) in the fuse. The wing ribs need the TE trimmed too.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tiberius; Feb 07, 2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2004, 02:19 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Wings plug right in. Wing has some serious chord. Looks freakish to me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2004, 02:24 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Tail feathers also 1/32" balsa sheet. The control surface outlines on the plans are aerodynamically balanced (kind of). The rudder is freakin' HUGE!! I'm seroiusly considering making the elevator on only one side. I having trouble envisioning an full elevator that dosen't reguire really hacking things up. The stab/elevator slide into the slot at the rear from the side. The fit is so good, I don't want to mess it up. Looks much better with the tail feathers added.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2004, 02:32 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Do you think the open structure in the fuse needs to be covered? I'd like to use blue tissue on the entire model, but don't want to pay the weight penalty and warping the sheet structure. I'm thinking of covering only the fuse. It hasn't been on the scale yet, what do you think it should weigh? It will have landing gear. Thinking of using an Kenway geared M20 and 210 MAh li-poly. Or perhaps a direct drive N20??
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2004, 10:17 AM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Told ya the rudder was huge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2004, 10:44 AM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
Looks great

I would think witlh all the attention to detail you are putting into it, you should consider covering the fuse and accepting the weight penalty. Save weight somewhere else would be my thought. I just saw a KP00 hauling around a 1.7 oz Widget yesterday.

John
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Old Feb 08, 2004, 12:04 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Well; too late. I stayed up late last night. I found some dark blue tissue in a Sterling Peanut Scale Sterman kit I had laying arround. A darn close match with a blue #3 sharpie. So, I started coloring. The tissue was applied after the marker using thinned white glue. I'm very pleased with the look of the tissue. The fuse gained only .2 g with the tissue. The wings gained only .1 g with the marker coloring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2004, 12:15 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
I will say it's blue. And purple in some places. I have had much better results with red and orange markers in the past. This thing looks like hell where the tissue is not. I could not get the banding to blend. Additional passes with the marker just tend to turn it purple. I'm considering using tissue on the whole thing. Or perhaps a light coat of airbrushed paint. But, either seems too much work for a profile fuse model?? I'll never attempt to fully color a model with markers again. Trim colors only and only the lighter shades at that.

That said, I was really happy with the tissue. Haven't covered anything with tissue in almost 30 years.

Weighs 6.6 g as it sits now.

elevator will be on one side only. Anyone know if one side is better than the other? I'm leaning toward the right side. Thinking that up elevator will help to induce slight right roll and counteract torque. I may be over-thinking this though
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2004, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Slowing down somewhat. Darn work won't pay me unless I'm there.
The elevator is on the left of the stab because I wasn't paying attention when I cut it...oops!
Motor install. Kenway geared low voltage M20. Will try the blue 10 cm prop that comes with it initally. Added 1/64" ply doublers on each side of the fuse for support. The rod mounting of this gerbox works great on profile models. Hot melt glue allows easy adjustment and break away when crashing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2004, 08:59 PM
Moderador.
guadalajara, jalisco, mexico
Joined Sep 2002
9,253 Posts
Nice plane tiberius, I do not want ot mad you, I remember the Gary's Corsair, and he built more dihedral, I do not noticed the dihedral in your Corsair for the pic angle, but the Gary's Corsair flew very fine, and this plane need a lot of dihedral for the type of wing..... you won me the idea I was plying with the idea to buld one....I hope your plane fly very fine.

Regards.

PS Those Paul's plans are great, my son built the Banshe, looks terrific
Alfredo Rubio is offline Find More Posts by Alfredo Rubio
Old Feb 09, 2004, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
Thanks Alfredo. It has the dihedrial shown in the FF plan. As I recall there is a pic of your son with his NO CAL Wildcat posted here somewhere right? You both already have volumes more experience with the NO CAL designs than I. Have you converted any of them to R/C? Any additional suggestions are welcome.
If it doesn't turn properly with this amount of dihedrial, I plan to try alierons. The JMP 4th channel board (finally arrived today!! THANK-YOU Janell Selman!!), 2 cell board, and a geared M20 HV should slip right in. I'm hoping that the experience with this airplane will help me convert a Dumas walnut scale Corsair right the first time. This one is going to be much easier to hack up after it is finished than a really nice looking model like the Dumas Corsair.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2004, 04:11 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tiberius
The JMP 4th channel board (finally arrived today!! THANK-YOU Janell Selman
Tiberius and others, sorry for the wait you had to endure. I sent a batch of the 4th-channel boards on January 7th, registered mail, and they never arrived. The boards you got are from a replacement batch sent later...
JMP_blackfoot is online now Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Feb 10, 2004, 09:06 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Tiberius,
Looking nice. You might consider printing out printed tissue insignias and apply those. I can tell you how if you haven't done it before. Should be pretty light. Are you going to use the 10cm blue prop with the Kenway? I'm not sure of the amp draw of that setup (never got around to testing it yet). But I think it is less than an amp. You might check with Bob Selman to see if he knows. Depending on the weight of your final plane I would then go with the smallest LiPoly that can handle the current draw. Using a Kokam 145 over a 210 will knock off close to a couple of grams if you need it at the end.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Feb 10, 2004, 09:35 AM
Joined Sep 2002
6,584 Posts
I plan on appling some trim markings as it needs it. Anything to cover up the crummy looking marker

I like the duration I get with the 210 MAh cells. I will prob. go with a pair of smaller cells if I need to go to 2 cell power. The Walnut scale bird may need it. Nothing scary weight-wise yet. There also appears to be plenty of wing area on this bird too.
RCG Plus Member