HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2001, 02:19 PM
Goodlettsville, TN, USA
Joined Jan 2001
66 Posts
Top Flight Cessna 182 Skylane Gold Edition?

I'm looking for a nice winter project, and my LHS has one of these on the shelf. I'd like a big electric plane that can handle those windy days that my Partenavia and Eco 8 heli can't, and with the optional cockpit kit the Skylane would make a nice looking bird. It doesn't have to be able to scream around the sky, but on the other hand I don't want to have to listen to all those rude comments by the gas guys, either. I'd like at least 10 minutes of decent flying time on a charge. A geared brushless setup is probably the way to go,and I am open for suggestions on which motor,prop,and cell count/type. The box says an 81" wingspan and a flying weight of 10-12 pounds, I'm not too sure on the wingloading. Any suggestions?
Yoyodyne is offline Find More Posts by Yoyodyne
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2001, 09:36 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
698 Posts
I have to confess to having this project under construction. It has been that way for four years. Some how I steped into a small field with a Speed 400 model and haven't been able to leave. I do plan on finishing my Top Flite 182 one of these days. It is completely framed up. When I started the project it was intended to be powered with a Saito .91 four stroke. As a result I do need to re-do the front end to accomodate the electric power plant.

I have an Aveox 1412/3Y and a Modelair Tech 3:1 H-1000 belt drive for the power system. I am planning on using 20 cells. My weight estimates and calculations suggest a total flying weight of 11 pounds. Ecalc indicates the model will fly nicely on that set up. I just need to get off the dime and get the model finished. It is a nice kit and I made no modifications to lighten up the airframe. Mine so far is fairly light for being a glow powered model. Hopefully, my weight estimates will prove to be accurate.

If you do purchase the kit, you will enjoy building this big bird.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is online now Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:04 AM
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyodyne
I'm looking for a nice winter project, and my LHS has one of these on the shelf. I'd like a big electric plane that can handle those windy days that my Partenavia and Eco 8 heli can't, and with the optional cockpit kit the Skylane would make a nice looking bird. It doesn't have to be able to scream around the sky, but on the other hand I don't want to have to listen to all those rude comments by the gas guys, either. I'd like at least 10 minutes of decent flying time on a charge. A geared brushless setup is probably the way to go,and I am open for suggestions on which motor,prop,and cell count/type. The box says an 81" wingspan and a flying weight of 10-12 pounds, I'm not too sure on the wingloading. Any suggestions?
I am building the Gold Addition Cessna right now. The wood is heavy or pithy. I have talked with Top Flight and they say they don't have a problem. Sorry to say I am disappointed in the kit and it may become a hanger queen after all the work I put into it. I built one about ten years ago and didn't have any problems. I also have a Top Flight P-40 Warhawk and I have looked over the wood in it and I believe I am going to have to replace half of the sheet wood. The Cessna wing itself seems to build heavy but straight (the only good thing I can say about it). The balsa blocks for the Fowler flap setup had to be replaced because they were so soft drilling the holes was a pain. The balsa actually wound around the drill bit. I don't know if I got a kit that was made on Friday when everyone was going home or not. But I would look at it very carefully before I spent 180 bucks. I have a Super Tigre .75 in it and if it doesn't become a 82 inch wide truck I will be very surprised. I'm not a newbe in building... I started building planes when I was 13 and I'm 60 now. Been around the block a few times.
jaruwan is offline Find More Posts by jaruwan
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:48 AM
Joined Mar 2008
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaruwan
I am building the Gold Addition Cessna right now. The wood is heavy or pithy. I have talked with Top Flight and they say they don't have a problem. Sorry to say I am disappointed in the kit and it may become a hanger queen after all the work I put into it. I built one about ten years ago and didn't have any problems. I also have a Top Flight P-40 Warhawk and I have looked over the wood in it and I believe I am going to have to replace half of the sheet wood. The Cessna wing itself seems to build heavy but straight (the only good thing I can say about it). The balsa blocks for the Fowler flap setup had to be replaced because they were so soft drilling the holes was a pain. The balsa actually wound around the drill bit. I don't know if I got a kit that was made on Friday when everyone was going home or not. But I would look at it very carefully before I spent 180 bucks. I have a Super Tigre .75 in it and if it doesn't become a 82 inch wide truck I will be very surprised. I'm not a newbe in building... I started building planes when I was 13 and I'm 60 now. Been around the block a few times.
Guess I should have looked at the dates.... Sorry.
jaruwan is offline Find More Posts by jaruwan