HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

E-flite® PA-20 Pacer 10e ARF

For RC Pilots Who Want an Iconic Scale Experience

Splash

Available for Pre-Order

The PA-20 Pacer replicates the full-scale Pacer for RC pilots who want an iconic scale experience great for hopping out of small fields. From the authenticity of its traditional construction to the richness of its UltraCote® finish and high-gloss fiberglass cowling, the E-flite PA-20 Pacer 10e ARF delivers a scale model with outstanding flight characteristics so that you can look like a class-act both in the air and on the ground.

The PA-20 Pacer 10e is scheduled to be shipping in the coming weeks, so pre-order yours now at your local E-flite® retailer or online.

Wingspan: 51.0 in (1300mm)
Overall Length: 36.3 in (920mm)
Wing Area: 451 sq. in. (29.1 sq. dm.)
Flying Weight: 46.4–48.0 oz (1300–1360 g)
Servos: (4) digital sub-micro servos required, (6) required for flap operation
CG (center of gravity): 2-3/16 to 2-3/4 in (55-70mm) back from the leading edge of wing
Prop Size: 10 x 5 - 12 x 6 thin electric propeller
Speed Control : 40-amp brushless
Recommended Battery: 11.1V 3S 1800-2200mAh LiPo
Flaps: Optional
Assembly Time: 10-15 Hours

Key Features

• Classic lines and highly accurate scale proportions
  • Laser-cut balsa and plywood construction
  • Genuine Hangar 9® UltraCote® covering
  • Ready-to-mount the E-flite® Power 10 brushless motor
  • Pre-painted fiberglass cowl and wheel pants
  • Scale cockpit detail (pilot not included)
  • Four-channel control with optional flaps
  • Two-piece, plug-in wing with carbon fiber wing tube
  • Scale wire landing gear assembly
  • Large, easy-access belly hatch

Discussion

Old Aug 06, 2013, 11:55 AM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,060 Posts
Beautiful plane , I have it on order , where is the video of it flying ?
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Aug 06, 2013, 01:14 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman View Post
Beautiful plane , I have it on order , where is the video of it flying ?
Around the pattern in my PA-20 Pacer (5 min 13 sec)

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Old Aug 06, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States, OK, Altus
Joined Jun 2004
82 Posts
I also have it on order. Anybody heard when it may ship?
sewflynwa is offline Find More Posts by sewflynwa
Old Aug 06, 2013, 08:56 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,060 Posts
Thanks Dan , and heres another video
[HD] Piper PA-22-150 Pacer Touch and Go CSU3 (0 min 51 sec)

Its nice to find videos of Pacers being used as bush planes also , so we may remove the wheel pants and use bigger wheels and have a bush plane as well .
Last edited by wattman; Aug 06, 2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
278 Posts
Hopefully the vendors will have this at the NEAT Fair. It's always good to come home with something.
JudahBenHur is offline Find More Posts by JudahBenHur
Old Aug 07, 2013, 05:46 PM
Just a whisper in the wind
United States, OH, Chillicothe
Joined Jul 2012
303 Posts
Looks sweet, is there an optional ski set for it? Winter is approaching and it would be a nice addition for a scale plane.
Birds of Prey is offline Find More Posts by Birds of Prey
Old Aug 07, 2013, 09:30 PM
United States, PA, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2007
206 Posts
Piper PA-20 Pacer

Jason,

Here is a photo of the full scale PA-20. It is the same N number as the model and red and black paint sceme.

EFlite has made another great looking scale airplane.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Piper...40b633ece38259

Here is another thread on RC Groups about the Pacer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1967602
ChrisFlysRC is online now Find More Posts by ChrisFlysRC
Old Aug 08, 2013, 02:49 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Anyone read the build manual?
  1. Rigid LG
  2. Joiner wire for the elevator
  3. No wing bolts
  4. Battery hatch limited space/access
  5. Cheap screws for the wing tube retention
  6. Lousy tail wheel setup
  7. Bad design plastic strut ends (prone to breaking)
  8. Screw on cowl instead of magnetic cowl ring.
  9. Factory PA-20 had right side door, where's the door?
Nice looking bird but the above has turned me off for a buy item. I know they could have done a better job for about the same amount of money. My 5yr. old EFlite 25E J3 is built better than this. Price is the same but the quality is down. Just sad.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2013, 09:50 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,060 Posts
The price they are selling it for is really great to me , for a new EFlite plane .
I will be glad when they are out and built and being flown for enjoyment .
Last edited by wattman; Aug 08, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 11:13 AM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckert View Post
Anyone read the build manual?
  1. Rigid LG
  3. No wing bolts
Nice looking bird but the above has turned me off for a buy item. I know they could have done a better job for about the same amount of money. My 5yr. old EFlite 25E J3 is built better than this. Price is the same but the quality is down. Just sad.

Dan
Seriously? This airplane is light years beyond the J3. The intent was to create an airplane that flew great, looked great, but wasn't a $250 Platinum Series model.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 09, 2013, 04:00 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
And you have succeeded Ryan. This model is absolutely beautiful, and the price point is right on time. Anyone with two eyes, and has any history with Horizon products, can tell in an instant that this is a model that has left the older .25 Cub sitting in the dust. Not to mention the .25 Cub is fun scale at best (not close at all to scale) but, the new Pacer is right on time. Mr. Piper would be proud of you guys. Please keep these beautiful civil models coming. You guys are doing a great job. As for the few things mentioned above, they don't amount to anything at all. Any real modeler can mod/add/fab any type of details they want without much thought at all. I already have a small, Scott type tail wheel assembly ready to be mounted to mine as soon as I get my airframe.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Aug 09, 2013, 03:43 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Very nice...can't wait!
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:07 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
Seriously? This airplane is light years beyond the J3. The intent was to create an airplane that flew great, looked great, but wasn't a $250 Platinum Series model.
Darn tootin I'm serious. Since I opened my mouth, I'll address the issues I raised.
  1. Rigid LG
    The same type rigid gear is on my J3. Not a big deal per se but one hard landing & the gear is splayed. Meaning bent pretty bad due to cheap metals. Are the ASTM landing gear specs any better on this bird then my old J3?
    I didn't see anything in the manual that provided/allowed for dual/split pushrods for the elevators so using a joiner wire is the only option? I'm not saying they're not there but...my 'old' J3 has the provision for dual pushrods. It's on page 43 of the manual.
  3. No wing bolts
    Probably because there's no door or overhead access to the fuselage interior. My J3 has two bolts to hold the wing on. Granted, it has no interior wing bolts either because it's a single piece wing. But seriously, a hatch at the top couldn't be devised for access for wing bolts?
    I'd refer you to my 'new' EFL4625 Cub.(I have one) It too has a limited size opening that's designed to fit a single sized pack. This bird has the same limited opening (or less) and I see no rationale reasoning for it except to force the buyer to purchase branded items. What if I don't to use 'your' batteries because I have some others that are a different size but equal capacity?
    Anyone that's been assembling ARF's for any period of time knows the factory supplied screws are generally worth nothing because the quality is lacking. In fairness, EFL isn't the only vendor by any stretch of the imagination. So EFL lacked the ability to find a better way to secure the wing tube. Maybe a pre-drilled tube and some blind nuts inside the wing to lock into with some RTL/Dubro allen head bolts? What about using some high end magnets where the wing abuts the fuselage like Pat Trittle uses in some of his birds?
    Just like my J3. Heaven help you if you get epoxy into the swivel point while installing this even IF you use Vaseline. I'm uncertain if this setup or the one from my EFL4625 Cub is worse. They both stink to high heaven. I think the EFL4625 Cub is worse.
    My Old J3 has CA hinges going into balsa at the strut ends. They take, & have taken a LOT of flexing. This 'new' update is prone to failure just during installation. This is an improvement?
    This is just a pet gripe on my end. My J3 didn't have it and neither does this bird. But pray tell, why does my EFL4625 Cub have a magnetic cowl but this "light years beyond the J3" doesn't have one? Am I missing something here?
    If this bird is indeed, 'light years beyond the J3, then where's the door?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying this bird is a piece of junk or not worth the money. What I am saying is that EFL 'could have done' a better job with the kit for the same amount of money. I love the scale looks. I don't give a hoot if it's 'true to scale' as long as it represents scale. Most bulk production ARF kits aren't scale but are redesigned for better flying via RC and that's OK.

However, respective of your comment of this bird being,"light years beyond the J3.", I don't think so! I will give you a few points for having a wing tube and a two piece wing. But until someone at EFL can figure out a way to make field assembly easier with better parts, this bird is a pass for my dollar. Even it is pretty!

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:14 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Wow quite a list. I think this way....
  • Keep cost down
  • Excellent sceme and paint
  • Scale outline
  • Chance to outfit with your own equipment
  • Excellent flight performance (typical of E-flite)
  • Parts fit and finish

On your points...

Quote:
Rigid LG
The same type rigid gear is on my J3. Not a big deal per se but one hard landing & the gear is splayed.
I understand the use of wire on a model of this size and in this price range. It is what the vast majority of models use. As to quality - who knows. I find E-flite stuff is FAR better than most.

I guess I tend to land properly and not have issues with splaying out the gear. I certainly have not had big issues with this on the other ships from Horizon.

Quote:
Joiner wire for the elevator
I didn't see anything in the manual that provided/allowed for dual/split pushrods for the elevators so using a joiner wire is the only option? I'm not saying they're not there but...my 'old' J3 has the provision for dual pushrods. It's on page 43 of the manual.
Yep just like is used on the vast majority of RC models. I don't want the weight and the complexity of dual pushrods. More horns to dirty up the scale look too. More stuff to deal with and it adds weight - something I don't think anyone wants.

Quote:
No wing bolts
Probably because there's no door or overhead access to the fuselage interior. My J3 has two bolts to hold the wing on. Granted, it has no interior wing bolts either because it's a single piece wing. But seriously, a hatch at the top couldn't be devised for access for wing bolts?
Who wants ugly wing bolts on the top of this beautiful model? Not me. The wing halves attach with a CF tube - awesome! A nice fuse top that has no clutter. This is a win for me!

Quote:
Battery hatch limited space/access
I'd refer you to my 'new' EFL4625 Cub.(I have one) It too has a limited size opening that's designed to fit a single sized pack. This bird has the same limited opening (or less) and I see no rationale reasoning for it except to force the buyer to purchase branded items. What if I don't to use 'your' batteries because I have some others that are a different size but equal capacity?
What? This does not even make sense. I suspect you will be able to fit MANY packs of various size. This is a big plane. This just has no basis in reality.

Quote:
Cheap screws for the wing tube retention
Anyone that's been assembling ARF's for any period of time knows the factory supplied screws are generally worth nothing because the quality is lacking. In fairness, EFL isn't the only vendor by any stretch of the imagination. So EFL lacked the ability to find a better way to secure the wing tube. Maybe a pre-drilled tube and some blind nuts inside the wing to lock into with some RTL/Dubro allen head bolts? What about using some high end magnets where the wing abuts the fuselage like Pat Trittle uses in some of his birds?
We certainly don't know the hardware quality.

I do think they won't need this at all. Struts would keep the wing on. Again most of what you suggest adds weight, and cost.

Magnets are a good idea however. Maybe you score one point here. They have used it on other designs by the way.

Quote:
Lousy tail wheel setup
Just like my J3. Heaven help you if you get epoxy into the swivel point while installing this even IF you use Vaseline. I'm uncertain if this setup or the one from my EFL4625 Cub is worse. They both stink to high heaven. I think the EFL4625 Cub is worse.
I will give you a plus one here. And for me - it will get a better setup with an aftermarket tail-wheel.

Quote:
Bad design plastic strut ends (prone to breaking)
My Old J3 has CA hinges going into balsa at the strut ends. They take, & have taken a LOT of flexing. This 'new' update is prone to failure just during installation. This is an improvement?
Not sure - I have not used it before. If I am worried I will substitute for metal clevis ends.

Quote:
Screw on cowl instead of magnetic cowl ring.
This is just a pet gripe on my end. My J3 didn't have it and neither does this bird. But pray tell, why does my EFL4625 Cub have a magnetic cowl but this "light years beyond the J3" doesn't have one? Am I missing something here?
Cost and money again. Pretty typical of models of this size and price range. It would be nice but suspect that is the issue.

Quote:
Factory PA-20 had right side door, where's the door?
If this bird is indeed, 'light years beyond the J3, then where's the door?
Doors are a rarity at this price range. They add huge weight and complexity since they have to bear the wing forces. 100% understandable. This is not a top gun bound model after all.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying this bird is a piece of junk or not worth the money.
But you see that exactly what it seems by your complaint list. You claim they will have cheap hardware, stuff will break and bend.

Quote:
What I am saying is that EFL 'could have done' a better job with the kit for the same amount of money. I love the scale looks. I don't give a hoot if it's 'true to scale' as long as it represents scale. Most bulk production ARF kits aren't scale but are redesigned for better flying via RC and that's OK.

Dan
I think most of your recommendations add weight, and money to the kit price.

I agree I think the looks are stunning - the #1 most important thing get the looks right. Then design a model that flies well. I am assuming this will fly well, as the vast majority of E-flight/Parkzone stuff. They did both for me.

Sorry your not getting one but that is one more for the rest of us.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member