HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:30 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade strike View Post
I believe a lot of issues regarding upgrade on the 3.10-3.14 were people not setting default settings... This is why I think DJI now clears on settings in 3.16.
A good reason to write stuff down before upgrading.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:06 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptoknight View Post
Does anyone know if my compass is busted already? My quad seems to be losing altitude hold like droping and twitching during hover.

I had this problem after updating to 3.16. Solution do the compass calibration dance then connect to the software and do the advanced IMU calibration. This worked on my Naza and 2 Phantoms I helped to sort out.
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:45 PM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
365 Posts
Won't arm after update

I have a V1 and updated both firmware and software all appeared fine, went to recalibrate the compass seemed to take but get two flashing green then three flashing red and it will not arm. Everything reset on assistant but did not see write I just hit enter did I miss something?
Birdman4498 is online now Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:01 AM
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Jul 2005
128 Posts
The LED blinks Red and Yellow alternately.

Ever since I did the upgrade 2.16 and did the advanced calibrated. It just flashesred, yellow constantly.
no matter what I do It wont stop...
upperking is offline Find More Posts by upperking
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:10 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upperking View Post
Ever since I did the upgrade 2.16 and did the advanced calibrated. It just flashesred, yellow constantly.
no matter what I do It wont stop...
You need to calibrate the compass. The led codes are in the manual.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:12 AM
Canada, ON, Ajax
Joined Jul 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman4498 View Post
I have a V1 and updated both firmware and software all appeared fine, went to recalibrate the compass seemed to take but get two flashing green then three flashing red and it will not arm. Everything reset on assistant but did not see write I just hit enter did I miss something?
Found my issue, I had changed the start speed to the middle and needed to go up one notch, now it arms, will test outside today with gains recommended in manual for 450.
Birdman4498 is online now Find More Posts by Birdman4498
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:16 AM
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Jul 2005
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
You need to calibrate the compass. The led codes are in the manual.
I have tried that and It will not go into calibrate the compass mod. whichI have done in the past succesfully in the 2.14 software.

It will not go into a solid yellow mode it just continues to flash red and yellow.
upperking is offline Find More Posts by upperking
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:31 PM
Rookie Flyer
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
DJI Phantom Firmware Upgrade Causes Compass Failure? Now Error 27

Absolute RC Rookie needs some very basic help! Attempted to upgrade the firmware on my relatively new DJI Phantom to 3.16 and unfortunately have now grounded my device. Error shown on Naza-M V2 Assistant software is #27 (GPS not calibrated or magnetic field interference). The quad initiates with the right set of tones and flashes once red, yellow, green and then four quick green flashes followed very quickly by permanent red & yellow flash. If the device is moved significantly or if my iPad is placed briefly very near the compass sensor the indicator changes briefly to yellow only flash but then back to red/yellow. I cannot get a solid yellow (which I believe is needed to calibrate the compass?). Have tried IMU calibration and compass "dance" but to no effect (never however had a solid yellow indicator prior to compass dance initiation and not certain that I got the compass dance correct).

When plugged into the PC via the USB cable, the indicator goes to solid green as soon as the Naza assistant software is started. Can't import the default settings from DJI's downloads for some reason - That error is "Configuration file version does not match".

Logically the system will now not allow the motors to be energized and I am grounded. Really frustrated as I very much enjoy this device and need it for my business (real estate sales) but don't have the time or the patience for this!

My Rookie Questions:

1: Is it possible (quite a coincidence however!) that the compass module failed at the same time that I was upgrading the firmware? If that is likely the case, is a replacement compass module easy to obtain?

2: Is there some trick (other than toggling the GPS/Atti switch back and forth 6-10 times) to get the compass to allow calibration?

3: Other steps that I can take to clear the dreaded error #27/compass?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Jeff
Jeff Schoenfield is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Schoenfield
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:06 AM
Rookie Flyer
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Aug 2013
2 Posts
Never Mind...

Was actually not the update or the bird's fault but operator error. I now understand that the compass dance always needs to be performed outdoors to produce the desired effect...
Jeff Schoenfield is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Schoenfield
Old Aug 19, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2013
3 Posts
Jeff! Your problem is the exact same as mine, what was your solution? You mentioned your compass dance wasn't working, but now it is? Please advise!
Scott
Scott Jenson is offline Find More Posts by Scott Jenson
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:27 AM
Empire Hobbies Support
Joined May 2013
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenson View Post
Jeff! Your problem is the exact same as mine, what was your solution? You mentioned your compass dance wasn't working, but now it is? Please advise!
Scott
Scott -

You must be away from anything that could cause interference with the compass.

Also most common error people do trying to get into compass / gps calibration is not ending the switch cycle in GPS mode.
Empire Support 3 is offline Find More Posts by Empire Support 3
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Aug 2013
3 Posts
RECAP TO GET MY Zenmuse H3-2D to work with my phantom...

k, I got it to work. The problem for me was that I needed to un-zip the file "Phantom Default Configuration Perameters". Jeez.

RECAP
-Tried installing the gimbal, realized I need the Naza M V2 and I got pissed.
-2 weeks later, I installed the Naza M V2 and Gimbal by following DJI's video.
-I connected my phantom to the computer and updated the Phantom Firmware to 3.16 (not 3.14, but 3.16!) through the assistant software.
-When it was done, my Phantom and Transmitter started beeping, and I had to turn it off (apparently this is normal).
-At this point my transmitter would not connect to my Phantom... DANG!!!
-I discovered I needed to also download the "Phantom Default Configuration Parameters" from DJI's website. (this download is at the bottom, below the naza assistant software download)
-MAKE SURE TO UN ZIP THE FILE. I thought my computer un-zipped it, but make sure you flipping un zip it... or you'll get the error "Configuration file version does not match"
-***NOTE*** I'm not sure if this was necessary BUT! I also did a manual pairing of my transmitter and my Phantom. This is done by following the instructions on page 4 of the Phantom Advanced Manual v 1.4 revision 2013.03.22 Maybe try skipping this step, and see if it still works...
-Then in the Naza Software, apply the settings to your phantom from the download. (I can't remember exactly where, but it's the same place you do a calibration, maybe under tools? Anyway you also will have the option to restore default phantom settings, and you DON'T want that... you want to apply the settings from the download.)
-After it's done, you must do another Advanced Calibration of your phantom.
-Now!!!! It should be connected (I think you may need to power cycle the phantom now, but maybe not...)
-Go do the compass dance again and start flying with your gimbal!!!!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:36 AM
Joined Aug 2013
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Support 3 View Post
Scott -

You must be away from anything that could cause interference with the compass.

Also most common error people do trying to get into compass / gps calibration is not ending the switch cycle in GPS mode.
Yes, thank you for pointing that out! When doing a compass/ gps calibration, make sure to end the switch on GPS mode!!!!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:56 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jenson View Post
Yes, thank you for pointing that out! When doing a compass/ gps calibration, make sure to end the switch on GPS mode!!!!
Funny, but I can only get into compass calibration mode if I end the switch cycle in MAN. Same with both my NAZAs.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:20 PM
Launch the drones ...
Ashtabula, OH USA
Joined May 1999
3,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Support 3 View Post
Here's a snippet I copied from the latest manual, v1.18 ...

Quickly switch the control mode switch from Manual Mode to GPS ATTI. Mode and back to Manual Mode for 6 to 10 times, The LED indicator will turn on constantly yellow.

AND NOTE THIS - when the instructions ask us to move the switch 6 to 10 times, that tells me that the firmware isn't fast enough to count every switch transition - so we are asked to supply a few extra (up to 10) until the firmware counts 6 transitions. To this retired real-time imaging software engineer - this tells me a whole bunch about the FC firmware - and when flying, I do not overload that firmware - unless I'm trying to force a flyaway (which I've done out of curiosity, and to learn more about the FC's behavior under stress).
Tim Green is online now Find More Posts by Tim Green
Last edited by Tim Green; Aug 20, 2013 at 01:26 PM.