HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2004, 04:10 AM
User registered
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jan 2004
413 Posts
Ammeter Circuit Diagram

Gday has anyone seen a circuit diagram somewhere on the Net for a high current in-series ammeter, or similar

Thanks
TNboy is offline Find More Posts by TNboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2004, 04:28 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Most analog ammeters are just a shunt (calibrated piece of wire/metal) with a millivoltmeter connected across it. No circuit diagram really required.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Feb 07, 2004, 09:17 AM
North East England UK
Joined Jan 2003
1,432 Posts
If its a digital readout you're after, the ICL7106 lcd driver from Harris is pretty good, with a fsd of 200mV, you can make up your own shunts to range the reading you want.......
Chippie is offline Find More Posts by Chippie
Old Feb 07, 2004, 07:31 PM
User registered
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jan 2004
413 Posts
Thanks for that, confirmed what i was thinking, just thought maybe some one has work a more elegant way

thanks
TNboy is offline Find More Posts by TNboy
Old Feb 08, 2004, 08:38 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Not sure what you're looking for, but there's no more elegant way than a simple voltmeter across a shunt..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 08, 2004, 07:05 PM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
My recipie for an amp-meter and it's shunt:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=shunt

This one is good up to 30, or with the "X2" switch on, 60 amps.
Looking to upgrade to an "X4" soon. Iwill need to use some kind of heavy plug at these levels though.

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Feb 08, 2004, 10:28 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Nice to see, 'g..
I like the analog meter.. stops people getting so worked up about why motocalc shows 14.3A, but you measure 14.7..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 09, 2004, 09:57 AM
OK, Who's Flying The Jet?
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2002
312 Posts
No Money Required Amp Meter

Here is an entry on how to convert your generic analog multi-meter to a higher current amp meter: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=50+amp+meter

Cheers,

Chuck
aka
Talon Driver
Talon Driver is offline Find More Posts by Talon Driver
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:38 AM
Panama City Beach, FL.
Joined Aug 2002
704 Posts
Ampmeter/Photo details/shunt

Here is a link to a previous topic on Ampmeters, I use a homebrew shunt that was easy to make..See page 2 of this link.
Photo's and connections..close up details.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=2

It is very accurate, took about an hour to build from surplus parts I had available...short piece of wire, and something to mout the connections to, I used a dual fuse holder I had in my junk box.

Regards Bob.

P.s. I used a 1147 car bulb as a load to calibrate it against a know load...

BobFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BobFlyer
Old Feb 09, 2004, 12:47 PM
MotoCalc Developer
Moorefield, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2001
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy W
Nice to see, 'g..
I like the analog meter.. stops people getting so worked up about why motocalc shows 14.3A, but you measure 14.7..
..a
Hey, now there's an idea. An analog version of MotoCalc. The various tables MotoCalc produces could be full of little pictures of voltmeters, ammeters, etc.

Stefan
stefanv is offline Find More Posts by stefanv
Old Feb 09, 2004, 01:36 PM
foo
Monroe, Louisiana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
323 Posts
I got a car amp meter that reads 0-60 plus and minus that I use inline.It's cal.in 5 amp steps.
foo is offline Find More Posts by foo
Old Feb 09, 2004, 06:59 PM
Joined Nov 2001
388 Posts
Another option.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productVie...=&SUBCATID=265

Adam
Foxy is offline Find More Posts by Foxy
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:11 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Here’s some info on making a simple “shunt”; the picture below shows my shunt which I can plug into the fuse holder, allowing me to check the amps without disturbing my wiring:

“Use a 15 cm length of solid 14 gauge wire (e.g. from power cable for house wiring) and strip the ends leaving exactly 12.5cm of insulation in the middle. Solder thin wires at the edge of the insulation, which are to be connected to the voltage input on your multimeter.

When making a current measurement all you have to do is include the 14 gauge wire in series with your circuit and read the number of millivolts across it.

One millivolt equates to 1 amp because the shunt you have made will be very close to 1 milliohm.”

Here’s another shunt idea: http://www.marcee.org/Articles/AMPMeter.html , it comes from our electric web site where many other useful articles and tips can be found: www.marcee.org

Other advantages of my installation: affords maximum safety as power is only applied to ESC prior to take-off/taxi, RX/servos can be checked w/o power on ESC, packs can be charged/peaked pre-flight without removing pack, and pack voltage can be checked (eve under load) via charging connector.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:22 AM
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,579 Posts
I propose to use a 1,5kOhm in series and a 100uF in parallel to the Voltmeter input (200mV range). It is a simple low pass filter, it is necessary because the pulsed current otherwise makes the measurement innaccurate. (I mesured as high error as 15%)
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:33 AM
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,579 Posts
A drawing:
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota