HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2013, 10:40 AM
Trying to fly
Shickshinny, PA
Joined Oct 2007
137 Posts
Question
FMS warbirds

My neighbor has been flying a Champ for two years and is looking for something a bit bigger he cn fly in a breeze. Although space is not an issue, he is intimidated by the size of my Parkzone planes, yet likes the warbirds.
FMS makes 800 mm warbirds that may fit his desire.
The questions are, do they take a Spektrum receiver? How is the quality? Is it possible to remove the landing gears to belly land? Any and all comments about quality, speed, scale, ease of flying would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rvrpaddlr is offline Find More Posts by Rvrpaddlr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2013, 11:03 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,084 Posts
Pull out a cold one and read through this thread - it should tell you everything you need...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1659798

PS - I can understand why beginners can feel intimidated by bigger planes, but the fact is when your learning bigger is better - more stable, easier to see, can be flown higher and further away and (most importantly) have fewer bad handling traits (tipstall etc) in general. The 800s can be made to fly well, but are pernickity on setup and are best left until more experience is gained. Tell him to grab a PZ Gunfighter or P-47 instead, as they handle beautifully and will give many hours of pleasure. Happy landings!
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Aug 03, 2013, 07:36 AM
Trying to fly
Shickshinny, PA
Joined Oct 2007
137 Posts
Thanks,
A great bunch of info for my friend to digest!
Rvrpaddlr is offline Find More Posts by Rvrpaddlr
Old Aug 03, 2013, 02:11 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Setting up the 800 birds is no different than any other RC model regardless of size. The trick is in the level of experience or skill required to fly them. Definitely not for beginner level pilots.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Aug 03, 2013, 11:57 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Personally I think the FMS 1100mm F6F is the easiest to fly warbird I have/had. Plus it's tough, and can be easily modified to put the battery in topside vs the stock battery compartment underside. Can be flown with or without gear, but with larger dia. wheels and the gear struts bent forward a bit it will easily handle grass fields. Eventually I bent 3mm piano wire for gear struts and added 2.75" great planes wheels and the thing is like a 4wheeler on the ground, can land/TO or taxi thru almost anything. It's a great plane that I go to when conditions are at a point that I won't fly nearly anything else other than the Tech One SU-31 which I fly in nearly anything.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Aug 04, 2013, 02:08 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
2,282 Posts
I bought the 750mm P47 when I was just 3 months into the hobby and still have it nearly 3 years later.
It is very tough and nice to fly, though definitely not a beginners plane.
You just have to reinforce the wingtips and it is almost indestructible. Good belly lander too.
Will tip stall if flown too slow.

+1 on the FMS 1100mm F6F. Dead easy to fly and very forgiving. You just have to get the cg right. Tough as old boots.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Aug 04, 2013, 05:32 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
4,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Setting up the 800 birds is no different than any other RC model regardless of size. The trick is in the level of experience or skill required to fly them.
True to a point, but you do have to be more accurate on CG setup with an 800 - 1 or 2mm out on an 1100 can be dealt with, but might be catastrophic on the smaller machine.
MattyB is offline Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EFX Racer
Old Aug 04, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
True to a point, but you do have to be more accurate on CG setup with an 800 - 1 or 2mm out on an 1100 can be dealt with, but might be catastrophic on the smaller machine.
Better to err on the nose heavy side of the CoG. Tail heavy can be catastrophic...depending on the experience of the pilot. Most pilots will have great difficulty bringing back a tail heavy 800mm bird.

My T28 and Corsair fly with similar characteristics with 2S 1000, 2S 1300 and 3S 1100 batteries in the same location. They balanced just about right on the stock 2S, so the heavier batteries made them very nose heavy, but flew fine.
Old Aug 04, 2013, 02:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanch View Post
Personally I think the FMS 1100mm F6F is the easiest to fly warbird I have/had. Plus it's tough, and can be easily modified to put the battery in topside vs the stock battery compartment underside. Can be flown with or without gear, but with larger dia. wheels and the gear struts bent forward a bit it will easily handle grass fields. Eventually I bent 3mm piano wire for gear struts and added 2.75" great planes wheels and the thing is like a 4wheeler on the ground, can land/TO or taxi thru almost anything. It's a great plane that I go to when conditions are at a point that I won't fly nearly anything else other than the Tech One SU-31 which I fly in nearly anything.
+2 Yeah the FMS 110 Hellcat is everything said above. I did fly mine into a tree about 100 ft up and its still there, but I have another one in the box waiting patiently.

Guys fly them on 4S and flies faster, although I was perfectly happy with 3S with scale type flying, on mine. I will try a 2-blade 10 x 6 or 10 x 7 on 3S on the new bird. This Hellcat can fly with any warbird up there and handle some wind too.

Retracts, flaps and a 3536 1000KV motor, will bring this bird up to current performance and quality standards.
Old Aug 04, 2013, 06:44 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2010
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604 View Post
Retracts, flaps and a 3536 1000KV motor, will bring this bird up to current performance and quality standards.
I've done all that with mine and it does lose those nice floaty qualities which make it so easy to fly.

However that's not such a bad thing as it prepares you for the trickier warbirds with higher wing loadings.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:02 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
I've done all that with mine and it does lose those nice floaty qualities which make it so easy to fly.

However that's not such a bad thing as it prepares you for the trickier warbirds with higher wing loadings.
Yea it will be a good warbird trainer, like the real T6. Another improvement would be a one piece wing like the FMS ROC Hobby Critical Mass.

Or perhaps FMS can come out with a 1100 mm T6. That should be a favorite as well.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,667 Posts
I would strongly suggest on waiting on the 800mm FMS planes, yes they are very nice, but like others have said they are better if you have a little more stick time.

That said I think that he will really like the PZ birds I don't think any of them have one bad habit...they are the bar none best flying planes out of the box.

Tell him to look at the wild cat as well....very nice plane.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Aug 05, 2013, 10:35 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,617 Posts
Yeah my 800mm FMS Trojan is not hugely different in weight from my much larger Parkzone T-28, it has to be flown noticeably faster as a result to keep it from falling out of the sky. The 800 mm birds if you're not flying from paved runway you'll have to be careful on hand launch or they can torque roll inverted out of your hand and go in. Fun little birds though.

You can do well in many of the PZ warbird sized planes, or similar sized birds from Towerhobbies/Hobbico. Decent size, light wing loading, good quality, good support from the vendor.

He's been flying a Champ for years, so it sounds like he has no aileron experience at all. That needs to be addressed, whether by sim time or buddy boxing another plane, what have you. The Parkzone T-28 is often considered one of the best aileron trainers out there, and it classes as a warbird. T-28s are well regarded to train in general because they are tricycle gear rather than taildragger, which makes takeoff and landing steering a little less nerve wracking for a new pilot.

I also don't know how much true landing your friend has done with his Champ, when I flew mine it was way too easy to just plop it in the grass at my feet instead of grease it in on the wheels.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool