Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2004, 11:30 AM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
703 Posts
Why don't you see 9 cell systems very often?

Why do you generally only see 7,8,or 10+cell systems?

you never seem to see motors rated at 9 cells,

Is it that ESC's fall into the "Low Voltage" or "High Voltage" catagories, or is it more fundamental than that? I can see that going to a lower current, higher voltage strategy has effeciency benefits, but I have been a bit wary of moving up to more heavily loaded models in the 10+ cell range (my inexperience)...
Your thoughts?
DesignGeek is offline Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2004, 02:09 PM
Mid-Michigan
Joined Aug 2002
2,178 Posts
No rgood reason that I can see. Not ESC technology anyway. I've used 9-cell packs successfully a number of times. Ten cells is about the maximum that any cheap 400 "can" motor can stand, otherwise you'd see a lot more models with even higher cell counts. 7 cells was the max you could charge direct from a car battery, back in the dark ages. So the game has been centered around 7 to 10 cells in the last few years.

Now that we have lithium cells and brushless motor drives, the pack voltages (cell counts) will likely creep up. High voltage, low current IS more efficient. Even ten years ago the really large models were 20 or even 30 cells, using high voltage motors. Some Astro drive amps (ESCs) that have been on the market for years are rated for 40 volts.
uscra112 is offline Find More Posts by uscra112
Old Feb 06, 2004, 06:14 PM
but it's a nice obsession
Sandy, Utah
Joined Apr 2003
1,049 Posts
We have more 9 cell packs than anything else right now. It turns out that 3 sticks of 3 each side by side of the 650mah NiMh batteries is a perfect fit for the GWS warbirds and Formosa. We use them for both our brushless and can motors. Although with the stock cans we are careful not to use full throttle much. We use them on the Slow Stick as well.

Jon
jgmtens is offline Find More Posts by jgmtens
Old Feb 07, 2004, 03:35 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
It's more to do with chargers than anything. You can get away with charge 7 cells (or 8 cells just about) with a cheap charger. 9 or more need extra electronics built into the charger. Once you have a good charger why stop at 9 ? BTW you rarely see 11, 13, 15, 17 etc cells. After 8 people just naturally go up in twos. The practical difference between 6 and 7 cells is quite a lot, between 8 and 9 is really very little .

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Feb 08, 2004, 05:14 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
Bay Area, California
Joined Jan 2003
2,713 Posts
if a single lipoly cell has the voltage of 3 ni-xx cells....
Aren't 3s lipos the most popular pack for brushless and other high efficiency motors?
-Michael
aeropenguin is offline Find More Posts by aeropenguin