HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:05 AM
South Africa, GP, Alberton
Joined Sep 2009
173 Posts
Discussion
Templates for foam cutting

Hi
What material do you guys use to make templates from.
Thanks
Jannie
Jab69 is offline Find More Posts by Jab69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:50 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
I use doubled up poster board, thick art board. On thin parts I will spread a thin amount of superglue to stiffen up the board. I've used my cardboard/artboard templates multiple times and they hold up great.

Some guys are able to get scraps of formica from cabinetry shops. Others also use thin metal or wood.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Sep 2009
173 Posts
Hi
I also find using cardboard is far more handy and easier to use.Cheaper and when needed to redesign sections of the plan one just copies the existing template and draw the mod on the new copy and cut out.I also find that I can use that template 2-3 times with good results.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:09 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,578 Posts
Go to your local pizza place and ask for some unfolded pizza boxes..... Make sure you order a pizza though and then get the freebie boxes.......
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:39 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
the cardboard I use is not the curagated stuff. it is hard pressed, flat cardboard. The official name is Architectural Chip Board.

OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jul 28, 2013, 02:03 PM
Palm City, FL
Joined Dec 2000
628 Posts
For a lot of smaller parts I save and use old cereal boxes.
TimOBrien is offline Find More Posts by TimOBrien
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:35 PM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
525 Posts
Plain old paper..
Frank Rys is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rys
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Nov 2012
20 Posts
For something a bit more durable I use lite-ply with thin copper foil wrapped around the perimeter. You can get sticky backed thin copper foil from stained glass stores in 7/16 or so widths, works perfect for a template that you will want to use again becaise it prevents burn in from the hot wire. I haven't done it, but you could wrap the same foil around cardboard or poster board for something quicker, but I like the lite ply. The foil works really well, highly recommended.
CarlN is offline Find More Posts by CarlN
Old Jul 28, 2013, 07:16 PM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Aug 2004
130 Posts
I pretty much always use 0.5mm aluminium sheet. Really easy to cut with just a pair of scissors and with a sanded edge smooth and durable to guide a wire. My current project though I bought some 1mm sheet that was just really cheap on ebay. Certainly durable but not quite as easy to work with!

Kev
Zagadka is offline Find More Posts by Zagadka
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2009
173 Posts
Hi Kev
How easy is it to cut the aluminium sheeting.Is it easy to cut small radiuses or do you need a small tin snips which has a radius on the cutting section?
Thanks
Jannie
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:59 AM
Ilkley, UK
Joined Apr 2007
53 Posts
I bought some birch veneer from a woodwork supplier at a very reasonable price. I glue my printed template to it and cut them out with a Stanley knife. Sand the edges. Pin them to the foam with dressmakers pins, then hot-wire to cut the wing blanks.
I have tried most other materials, but the hot-wire seems more prone to snag.
Although the copper foil round the template edge also worked well for me.
zetland76 is offline Find More Posts by zetland76
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:12 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,181 Posts
I use Formica for the templates. The edges need to be absolutely smooth to keep the wire from hanging up. If it stops at all it will leave a notch in the foam. I end up using 600 water paper for the finish. I tried metal templates but found the aluminum absorbed the heat from the wire and cooled it enough so that it would leave a rough finish at the template end of the foam.

Gord
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Sep 2009
173 Posts
Hi
Why I use the cardboard is that it is easy enough to cut with a normal scissors.I've tried formica(the type which comes on kitchen tops) but it is so damn hard to cut. And when one wants to cut all those mods to suit your shape, cardboard is the easiest.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 02:12 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I use Formica for the templates. The edges need to be absolutely smooth to keep the wire from hanging up. If it stops at all it will leave a notch in the foam. I end up using 600 water paper for the finish. I tried metal templates but found the aluminum absorbed the heat from the wire and cooled it enough so that it would leave a rough finish at the template end of the foam.

Gord
Which is why I glue a cardboard "standoff" to the side against the foam. No problem.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Jul 29, 2013, 06:27 PM
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Mar 2005
560 Posts
omit comment
swede-rcgroups is offline Find More Posts by swede-rcgroups
Last edited by swede-rcgroups; Jul 29, 2013 at 06:33 PM.