HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2013, 04:06 AM
Joined Apr 2013
58 Posts
Discussion
How to find your plane in an 8ft. high corn field

Lost my plane in a cornfield. Strapped my cell to my 1200mm Toprc fw190 and did three search flights. A grey blob appeared on the second movie for all of .03 seconds but it was the only grey blob in the whole field so I counted rows and paces to make a map and sure enough there she was. Took me ten minutes to find here safe and sound....batt was dead so its toast but she still fires up....you had to be there...took 3 days to do all the logistics bye the way. Guess I'm patting myself on the back here but also hope that this helps someone some day.
Thanks for listening.
viperrepair is offline Find More Posts by viperrepair
Last edited by viperrepair; Jul 27, 2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:20 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,795 Posts
Glad it got it back.

If generally flying over corn fields, or tall crops, it may be worth doing a thread search on lost model locators. There are quite a few about now.

8ft tall corn ?, how long did it take the search party to find you ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 27, 2013, 08:31 AM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Glad it got it back.

If generally flying over corn fields, or tall crops, it may be worth doing a thread search on lost model locators. There are quite a few about now.

8ft tall corn ?, how long did it take the search party to find you ?
Cornfied stories:

My old club was on a grass field the size of a football field, the approch end abbutted a corn field, so you had to come in low and slow over the corn, before chopping the power. One day, I came in a little slow and stalled into the corn!!! Corn and model airplanes don't mix well - what a mess.

Story 2:

The farmer who farmed the cornfield didn't like model planes. He claimed we "ruined" his corn when searhing for planes. That was total BS. What he liked to do to break our chops was run over our well groomed field with his tracto,r leaving tire ruts.

One night, vandels, (none of us) did doughnuts with their cars all through his almost ready crop, destroying about 90% of it.

Talk about poetic justice.
Electrofish is offline Find More Posts by Electrofish
Old Jul 27, 2013, 08:46 AM
25+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,540 Posts
Over 20 years ago I was flying at a club with a large open area. Had my little 1/2A sized glow plane and when I launched it I accidentally turned off the receiver switch! The plane climbed out beautifully and headed straight toward the woods well over a 1/4 mile away... then started turning and looping before it dropped into the treetops. I noted the tallest tree next to where it went down.

A couple of days later I brought a compass with me to the field when no one else was there. Took a bearing on the tall tree and started walking a course and went across the field and all the way through the woods. Turned back around and took the reverse course and found my plane lying on the ground about 1/2 way back through the woods. It was essentially undamaged. Flew it the following weekend.
BigIron357 is offline Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:10 AM
United States, AL, Gardendale
Joined Dec 2011
2,349 Posts
My solution would be to cut down the cornfield...

He shouldn't be growing that stuff near an RC field anyhow.

(Just Joking!)
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:18 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,088 Posts
Be respectful of the farmers crops, its his income. My cub had went down in a tall cornfield before I got the smarts to stay away from certain area's. It's possible to look around and not tare the crops up too bad. I took my controller in with me and on occasion work the controls, finally got myself close enough where I could here the servos working. If not for for the noise,, I don't think I'd have found it. Planes are hard to find in crops, and where ya think it went down is usually a bit off from where it actually is. Good Luck!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:38 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,101 Posts
Flying at Liepaja .... two brothers also .... one was 3D 'g and other had a beautiful scratch built early soviet job ... all depron moulded cowls etc. Beautiful job.

He's flying and it really did fly nice ... he then looped the model ... and we saw the LiPo falling to earth ... the model completed the loop ... and carried on gliding ....

He trotted of in general direction while I looked for his LiPo ... which was found in good condition ...

He returned about 1/2 later .... with a model in perfect condition ... but broken prop. He changed the prop ... popped another LiPo in ... and flew ...

The photo is AFTER and just before he flew again !!

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,064 Posts
I had one lost in a corn field for 3 days, but finally lucked out and found it. We just worked across the rows at various intervals, but had probably been by it a dozen times before finding it. Aerial photo would not have helped as it was flat on the ground in 9' tall thick corn.
On your battery, mine was dead as they can get also and had melted down the motor, but I put the battery on charger set to nicad and brought it up to 10 volts or so if I remember right, then it would charge as a lipo and it came up perfectly and I'm still using it a year and half later without a glitch.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:11 AM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,402 Posts
I would get a loud beeper. Then you could follow the sound. Some will start beeping if they don't see any change in servo inputs for a while.

I've also heard of people putting a streamer on the plane, which usually lays on top of the plants. Might not work as well on mature corn though.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:27 AM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
1,130 Posts
About the only crop we grow is sand and sagebrush, but this would probably be cheap insurance if I lived where green things actually grew out of the ground...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_Buzzer_.html
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:43 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,504 Posts
My story from a few years ago: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897240

Finding downed planes is an adventure many times!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:40 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
534 Posts
The usual tool to find missing model airplanes in a cornfield is a combine.
Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old Jul 27, 2013, 01:04 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,175 Posts
Like this?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined Apr 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
Be respectful of the farmers crops, its his income. My cub had went down in a tall cornfield before I got the smarts to stay away from certain area's. It's possible to look around and not tare the crops up too bad. I took my controller in with me and on occasion work the controls, finally got myself close enough where I could here the servos working. If not for for the noise,, I don't think I'd have found it. Planes are hard to find in crops, and where ya think it went down is usually a bit off from where it actually is. Good Luck!
Exactly,I was very careful that's why After trying to hear the controls (plane was way farther out than I thought) and with the highway right there couldn't here a thing. My transmitter(and me) came out of there a new color.... green lol
But Yes I crouched through row after row so as not to hurt the corn. (Can you say leg cramps) Plus the owner lets me fly there as long as I shut the gate when I leave. So yes respect is important. This is why I did the recon flights so as to spend as little time in there as possible (Its not fun either) 80 paces up row by the white bush and over 22 rows to the right and there she was. I think I
will put up a vid of the section to see if you guys can see the plane hehe.

sighting from above (0 min 4 sec)
Last edited by viperrepair; Jul 27, 2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: didnt finish
Old Jul 27, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Apr 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno View Post
The usual tool to find missing model airplanes in a cornfield is a combine.
HAHA that's what I was thinking so I was up against a combine and I won