HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Mar 2013
131 Posts
Discussion
One cell different voltage

Hi,

I bought two Turnigy nano-tech 3.0 25-50c batteries for my T-copter, and an IMAX B8plus Charger/Discharger 1-8 Cells.

First charge of one battery, I used 'CHARGE' instead of 'BALANCED CHARGE' afterwards one of the three cells has slightly different different voltage. Since then I've charged it with balanced charge, and it still stays different. The other battery has always been charged balanced and all cells stay the same.

Is there a way to bring the first battery cells to be all the same?

Cheers, Camerart.
camerart is offline Find More Posts by camerart
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,661 Posts
How much difference are you showing? Also, are you using a separate device to measure the cell voltages, or depending on the charger display?
Wintr is online now Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jul 27, 2013, 03:19 AM
Joined Mar 2013
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
How much difference are you showing? Also, are you using a separate device to measure the cell voltages, or depending on the charger display?
There are two batteries. Both read 0.01v difference on one cell.

I have a plug in voltage read out, that shows each cell voltage and total voltage. I also have an alarm that beeps when the battery is low or faulty in flight. This beeps after battery 1 'only' has been charged, until it is working then stops. It's only this alarm that has made me post this.

Cheers, Camerart.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:21 AM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,661 Posts
That's too small a voltage difference to worry about, IMO; less than 0.25% difference, which is about the limit of your measuring devices, possibly less. The more important question is, what is the voltage on each cell when you plug it into the alarm? I assume the battery has rested several minutes when you do this, so that is when you should re-check cell voltage, not when it comes off the charger. If you have a weak cell, it may drop in voltage enough to trigger the alarm. I have an alarm that will sound until I start actually using the battery, and I attribute that to the alarm somehow being more sensitive to voltage differences when the battery is above 4V.
Wintr is online now Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jul 28, 2013, 03:53 AM
Joined Mar 2013
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
That's too small a voltage difference to worry about, IMO; less than 0.25% difference, which is about the limit of your measuring devices, possibly less. The more important question is, what is the voltage on each cell when you plug it into the alarm? I assume the battery has rested several minutes when you do this, so that is when you should re-check cell voltage, not when it comes off the charger. If you have a weak cell, it may drop in voltage enough to trigger the alarm. I have an alarm that will sound until I start actually using the battery, and I attribute that to the alarm somehow being more sensitive to voltage differences when the battery is above 4V.
Ok, I'll take it more as a sensitivity issue than a problem.

Thanks, Camerart