HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaracW View Post
NJM, I know you are not going to like this, but now your mistake was after you unplug and replug the bettery, you handled the craft too soon. With all your experience (and I don' don't have it), you should know, when you power a gyro up, you have to let it sit and stabilize before touching it. Any heli pilot will tell you, you plug in the battery and set the hell down and wait a few, then handle it. I have been flying rc since the mid 80's. I have owned at least 30 different types of rc products from cars and trucks, to boats, to airplanes, helis, and quads. I have just a little experience, but still can learn. Today, I will try out exactly why you are trying to show on video and see how mine reacts.
It's the barometer that takes time these days, and of course getting a good GPS lock. The accelerometers/gyros in these things settle very quickly, it's not the problem. Looking at the quick start guide it says calibration takes place during binding. For heavens sake my toy V911 heli has a stable hovver and it takes all of about 6 seconds to initialise.

As has been repeated ad naseum those of us having problems see them regardless of how long we wait and calibrate. For the love of the good lord it's not us! Fact is, some of us are unfortunate enough to have duff hardware.

My X350 RTL works and, when I'm dead stick, the pos hold is OK. So I'm sure the gyros and accelerometers do work, just better in some cases than others. They are simply not used much, as far as I can tell, in manual mode .
SJBUK is offline Find More Posts by SJBUK
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:32 AM
Australia, QLD, Bellbird Park
Joined Sep 2013
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ll3r View Post
Because an accelerometer is an input to attitude control - also in a programming sense in GPS hold mode it does auto level as I said earlier. It holds by a) levelling when the sticks are released b) homing to its registered GPS position. So it's kinda semantics.

I think dunkyboy was trying make a point that wrt to conventional use of the terms autolevel and GPS hold to reduce the confusion being created using them in isolation. We should be saying our issue is that it does not "autolevel in GPS hold" not just that it doesn't autolevel (which in manual mode is to be expected and is apparently by design) or more simply that GPS hold does not reactivate on release of the sticks.

To dunkyboy I would have to split the middle and say it it is fair to say it fails to "autolevel in GPS mode" with the understanding the autolevel is a step of GPS hold reactivating itself. When we release sticks the GPS mode should be: marking position, autolevelling, seek back to marked position, hold position. Of course we have no idea if it's failing to do the first step but we are observing the failure of the second step (autolevelling) and of course in turn the last step.

Hopefully then we can agree we are talking about the same thing ... there is a little semantics at play and we have generally been a bit loose with the term auto-levelling in terms of it not working and we probably should be clearer especially for those joining the thread late (it's an awful lot to read through now).
Roller and NJM,

Yep, very much semantics. You sort of just summarised about accelerometers - attitude control - awesome description.

I'm not having a go at you NJM. Just trying to clarify 2 different functions. On a Multiwii, one is called "Level" mode, the other "GPS Hold" mode.

Hope you are with me? I'm with you that your quad doesn't do what it should!
dunkyboy is offline Find More Posts by dunkyboy
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:39 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2013
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkyboy View Post
Roller and NJM,

Yep, very much semantics. You sort of just summarised about accelerometers - attitude control - awesome description.

I'm not having a go at you NJM. Just trying to clarify 2 different functions. On a Multiwii, one is called "Level" mode, the other "GPS Hold" mode.

Hope you are with me? I'm with you that your quad doesn't do what it should!
Certainly, I am totally with you.
r0ll3r is offline Find More Posts by r0ll3r
Old Oct 27, 2013, 09:50 AM
Joined Jan 2009
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaracW View Post
Ok. It has been well established that the QR X350 does not have auto level outside of GPS position hold mode. Please, stop beating that dead horse. It has never been promoted as having such, and just cause you (and others) think it should, does not mean it will. I, for one, am tired of coming to this forum to get details and suggestions about the QR to constantly see your (NJM) comparison of apples to oranges and your preference of the Blade. I don't like that my Subaru Forester goes 0-60 in 10 secs, when a Corvette does it in 3.5 seconds. Two different designs, with each having their strengths. But i certainly wouldn't suggest going in a Forester forum and say how much it's junk because it won't do a 3.5 second 0-60.

The Blade is different as it was designed and promoted for the beginning quad operator. The QR was always promoted as intermediate. Fact is, you will have to"stay on the sticks" to stabilize the QR in any mode other than position hold and rth, until and if ever Walkera does an update. Please stop the repetitive posting of video showing how much "better" you think the Blade is, at least on this Walkers QR X350 forum. If you have sold your QR or are shelving it, please move on so that those that want to make the best of their Walkers can do so here.

I agree this bickering about the difference from one type to another makes it hard
on those how are trying to get good help with the X350. I have had some questions on some of the start up procedures with the X350 haven't gotten
answers that help, When I got a response at all
Dalef is offline Find More Posts by Dalef
Old Oct 27, 2013, 10:01 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Well, I just got back from another video shoot whereby I conform to every asinine requirement thrown at me by the fan club I hope this video that I'm posting at this very moment will prove once and for all that this quadcopter is definitely not behaving normally. This one's for you BaracW, just for you
For all the members of the Walkera QR X350 Fan Club in RC Groups. (6 min 37 sec)
Navy Jet Mech is offline Find More Posts by Navy Jet Mech
Last edited by Navy Jet Mech; Oct 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Sep 2013
56 Posts
This thread has been going round in circles for weeks, why can't people understand its clearly obvious there are FC's out there that don't work. Now there must be 10's of thousands of x350 quads already in the market most will be running on same firmware. At best they may be 3-4 versions so since we are only seeing a few dozen issues and not thousands it makes more sense that it's a hardware issue. Now the Chinese selling stuff that has faulty components, poor soldering, poor QC and basic issues is nothing new.
So to sum up most people are very happy with their X350, it is what it is, a Chinese Quad not immune to a few issues just like most Chinese products.
Unfortunately in the age of the forum a few people quibbles turn into a pointless 222 page thread with about 10% of valuable info lost in the midst, making it impossible for people to find.
Shame on YOU!!!!
The Quad Tech is offline Find More Posts by The Quad Tech
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
My answer to you then is why doesn't Walkera acknowledge that there are mistakes out there and try to make good on them? I've written Walkera more than once and got silence in return. I only came here to post my findings AFTER writing Walkera and getting nowhere. Maybe you've got 500 dollars to just toss in the wind but lots of people don't. And I'm willing to bet it's more than just a few that are bad. Probably most beginners don't know good from bad.
Heck, I've gotten two in a row that are bad. That's more than coincidence. Oh and BTW both bad FC's were from different suppliers. One was in the U.S. and the other was from China. I think this is a lot bigger issue than some are willing to admit.
Navy Jet Mech is offline Find More Posts by Navy Jet Mech
Last edited by Navy Jet Mech; Oct 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:26 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2013
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalef View Post
I agree this bickering about the difference from one type to another makes it hard
on those how are trying to get good help with the X350. I have had some questions on some of the start up procedures with the X350 haven't gotten
answers that help, When I got a response at all
What questions might that be? I went back through your posts to try to help but only unanswered question you had was about max current available on the external power. I don't think anyone knows that - you would have to ask Walkera. The test would be to keep drawing current until something goes pop or the X350 falls out of the sky. I could do a static test on the bench but I wont really get a valid answer.

So I thin no one answered because no one knew the answer.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Sep 2013
56 Posts
Why and how would I answer on Walkera's behalf?
What I see is you and a few others ruin this thread with many pointless posts and comparisons.
I can assure you if they were all bad there would be more than a few people moaning, so by simple skool boy math most of these quads are just fine and most people are quite happy.
As for having 2 in a row, you only changed the controller what about the GPS chip or compass I'm sure a competent NAVY tech would eliminate all possible systems and sub systems before making a final condemnation of the product.
OR is that how the USA roll.... its not working SIR! OK Just bin it and get another one on CREDIT......17 billion and counting
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:37 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2013
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quad Tech View Post
This thread has been going round in circles for weeks, why can't people understand its clearly obvious there are FC's out there that don't work. Now there must be 10's of thousands of x350 quads already in the market most will be running on same firmware. At best they may be 3-4 versions so since we are only seeing a few dozen issues and not thousands it makes more sense that it's a hardware issue. Now the Chinese selling stuff that has faulty components, poor soldering, poor QC and basic issues is nothing new.
So to sum up most people are very happy with their X350, it is what it is, a Chinese Quad not immune to a few issues just like most Chinese products.
Unfortunately in the age of the forum a few people quibbles turn into a pointless 222 page thread with about 10% of valuable info lost in the midst, making it impossible for people to find.
Shame on YOU!!!!
10's of thousands of X350s .. really .. are you serious... and all the bickering on the thread is because a couple of newbies want to bully people off the thread when they ask for help on problems. So of course we don't see too many reports because not many people want to volunteer to be bullied. I also have some inside info on the failure rate I will share later when my issues are sorted out.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Sep 2013
56 Posts
Quote:
10's of thousands of X350s .. really .. are you serious... and all the bickering on the thread is because a couple of newbies want to bully people off the thread when they ask for help on problems. So of course we don't see too many reports because not many people want to volunteer to be bullied. I also have some inside info on the failure rate I will share later when my issues are sorted out.
Bullied? Were not in a skool playground here!
I look forward to your inside info, was it a phone tap or a email HACK?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2013
361 Posts
Quote:
Why and how would I answer on Walkera's behalf?
What I see is you and a few others ruin this thread with many pointless posts and comparisons.
I can assure you if they were all bad there would be more than a few people moaning, so by simple skool boy math most of these quads are just fine and most people are quite happy.
As for having 2 in a row, you only changed the controller what about the GPS chip or compass I'm sure a competent NAVY tech would eliminate all possible systems and sub systems before making a final condemnation of the product.
OR is that how the USA roll.... its not working SIR! OK Just bin it and get another one on CREDIT......17 billion and counting
Ok, now you are being a bully too. That kind of language just isn't necessary. Fact is the issues he has with the machine not returning to level in GPS mode point straight at the FC and either software or accelerometer. His X350 does GPS lock fine and does RTH fine = good GPS. It doesn't flip over or spin drift = good compass.

He made the most sensible guess at the best part to replace. To replace the other parts means sinking another $100 into the X350. If you have a faulty product do spend the same amount again in spares to try to fix it or do you maybe take a shot at spending an extra 33% on the most likely cause and cross your fingers. Now I agree NJM is going on a bit but also every time he posts a video someone comes up with some other asinine thing he did wrong.

Now I think the back and forth needs to stop ... NJM ... your new FC is no help. Thanks for that info it helped me know it's a dead end and helped me with my supplier negotiations. Those with the same issue please make sure your supplier and Walkera hear your voice directly about the same issue. If it's not discussed they won't fix it and presumably discussion will be chased off this thread. Please do this for those that have issues even if you've given up and moved to APM.

Naysayers ... please accept a bunch of FCs are not being helpful ... please enjoy the fact you don't have one and hope you don't get one if you crash and bend your existing one.

Can we all please stop the bullying now. Please?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:49 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2013
361 Posts
Quote:
Bullied? Were not in a skool playground here!
I look forward to your inside info, was it a phone tap or a email HACK?
It was an email from my supplier in negotiations over replacement parts...

And so you are saying it's ok to push people around just not in a school yard?
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2013
56 Posts
Quote:
It was an email from my supplier in negotiations over replacement parts...

And so you are saying it's ok to push people around just not in a school yard?
An email from a shop is hardly inside info on failure rate as you suggest.

No im NOT....
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:05 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2013
361 Posts
Quote:
An email from a shop is hardly inside info on failure rate as you suggest.

No im NOT....
It's not a shop. 'nuff said, details later. Stupid to raise it now anyway since I wont be saying any more - in fact stupid to raise at all. Someone remind me in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by r0ll3r; Oct 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM.