SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2013, 04:29 AM
Joined May 2011
127 Posts
Question
Bearing Puller tool

Hi

Does anyone know of a link to somewhere I can buy a Bearing Puller tool to help extract and replace the bearings in my stock DJI Phantom motors?

Thanks

Dan
DanInSpain is offline Find More Posts by DanInSpain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2013, 07:22 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInSpain View Post
Hi

Does anyone know of a link to somewhere I can buy a Bearing Puller tool to help extract and replace the bearings in my stock DJI Phantom motors?

Thanks

Dan
Are they outrunners with bearing in the ends of the backplate/bearing tube assembly? If so, you can set it over a hole larger than the bearing, put a smaller rod down through one bearing, rest the tip of the rod on the outer race where it overhangs the bore of the bearing tube, and give it a series of gentle taps as you move the rod around the periphery of the race.

..................| <--bearing tube wall
..................| x <-- rest smaller rod here and tap gently moving around the race
bearing race..| <--slightly over hanging outer bearing race inside of bore
bearing race..| <--outer race

This thread has more details on the dis-assembly:

Outrunner Disassembly and Stripping - Gimbal Motor Rewind - www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823636

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined May 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
Are they outrunners with bearing in the ends of the backplate/bearing tube assembly? If so, you can set it over a hole larger than the bearing, put a smaller rod down through one bearing, rest the tip of the rod on the outer race where it overhangs the bore of the bearing tube, and give it a series of gentle taps as you move the rod around the periphery of the race.

..................| <--bearing tube wall
..................| x <-- rest smaller rod here and tap gently moving around the race
bearing race..| <--slightly over hanging outer bearing race inside of bore
bearing race..| <--outer race

This thread has more details on the dis-assembly:

Outrunner Disassembly and Stripping - Gimbal Motor Rewind - www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823636

Jack
Thanks Jack!
Experience counts for everything in this hobby.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:16 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInSpain View Post
Thanks Jack!
Experience counts for everything in this hobby.
There is a certain amount to be learned the hard way, isn't there? I'm an old machinist so I don't do too bad on the mechanical parts of it. The make bearing pullers that will reach inside the inner race, expand out, and pull on the inner race but you (and I) don't even want to know what those cost.

Pulling or driving on the inner race on these small bearings will most often just knock the inner race out and the balls will fall away. So then you only option is to use that small ledge and a rod or punch.

I find I can often push the bearing out by hand. And if you have the stator off and can warm the bearing tube with a heat gun it will help too. Bearing are cheap and readily available. Here is my boilerplate test for replies on bearings from the text files I kept as I was learning things the hard way:

You pretty much have to measure your bearings to get the sizes and then you can buy the bearings. It is really hard to find a dealer stocking replacement bearing sets or that can even tell you the sizes you need.

For getting the bearings out, here are a couple of good links with videos for reversing and replacing shafts and removing bearings:

How to Change the Shaft & Bearings in a Scorpion Motor - http://www.scorpionsystem.com/buildi.../change_shaft/

Maxx Products Tips & Tricks - www.maxxprod.com/mpi/tips.html

If the new bearings don't show any evidence of lubrication it is a good idea to lube them before you install them.

How I lubricate bearings - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=17

My regularly used sources for bearings, alphabetically as I have used them all with satisfaction, are:

Avid RC - http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/

Head's Up RC - http://www.headsuphobby.com/Motor-Bearings_c139.htm

RC-Bearings.com - http://www.rcbearings.com/

eBay - do a search for "bearing 6 10 3" (the ID, OD, and height dimensions).

Jack
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined May 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
There is a certain amount to be learned the hard way, isn't there? I'm an old machinist so I don't do too bad on the mechanical parts of it. The make bearing pullers that will reach inside the inner race, expand out, and pull on the inner race but you (and I) don't even want to know what those cost.

Pulling or driving on the inner race on these small bearings will most often just knock the inner race out and the balls will fall away. So then you only option is to use that small ledge and a rod or punch.

I find I can often push the bearing out by hand. And if you have the stator off and can warm the bearing tube with a heat gun it will help too. Bearing are cheap and readily available. Here is my boilerplate test for replies on bearings from the text files I kept as I was learning things the hard way:

You pretty much have to measure your bearings to get the sizes and then you can buy the bearings. It is really hard to find a dealer stocking replacement bearing sets or that can even tell you the sizes you need.

For getting the bearings out, here are a couple of good links with videos for reversing and replacing shafts and removing bearings:

How to Change the Shaft & Bearings in a Scorpion Motor - http://www.scorpionsystem.com/buildi.../change_shaft/

Maxx Products Tips & Tricks - www.maxxprod.com/mpi/tips.html

If the new bearings don't show any evidence of lubrication it is a good idea to lube them before you install them.

How I lubricate bearings - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=17

My regularly used sources for bearings, alphabetically as I have used them all with satisfaction, are:

Avid RC - http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/

Head's Up RC - http://www.headsuphobby.com/Motor-Bearings_c139.htm

RC-Bearings.com - http://www.rcbearings.com/

eBay - do a search for "bearing 6 10 3" (the ID, OD, and height dimensions).

Jack
How would guys like me get to learn stuff without guys like you passing on your knowledge? Actually, I probably would, but not without electrocuting myself, spending a lot more money on replacing broken stuff, anger management counselling and probably some injured bystanders
Thank you!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,918 Posts
It is the way of our tribe.

Where are you in Spain? I spent four wonderful years at the Naval Base at Rota (Cadiz) in the 1970's. One of the most fondly remembered overseas duty tours of my Navy career.

Jack
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined May 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
It is the way of our tribe.

Where are you in Spain? I spent four wonderful years at the Naval Base at Rota (Cadiz) in the 1970's. One of the most fondly remembered overseas duty tours of my Navy career.

Jack
About 90 minutes from Cadiz
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:45 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,918 Posts
Well, I certainly envy you your chances to go tapping hopping and enjoy a few of the fine finos from that area.

Sherry does not seem to travel and store well over longer periods of time, I have never found anything as nice as a glass of fino seco pulled from the casks in a bodega. My favorite finos were the ones from around San Lucar.

And Cadiz had some of the best seafood restaurants in Spain.

Good luck with it!

Jack
Old Jul 27, 2013, 02:10 AM
Joined May 2011
127 Posts
I do love it here, especially the way I get to make a living....
www.aerialphotographyspain.com
Old Jul 27, 2013, 05:07 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,918 Posts
You sir, are a lucky man!

Jack
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:17 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,512 Posts
I certainly enjoyed the pix of spain ,
I should mention that the use of a smaller shaft diameter to act as a drift punch can be made a bit easier to use if the end of the shaft is ground to a 2 to 3 degree angle, I found it helps stop the drift from sliding off the inner cone of the bearing.
A small flat ground on the striking end edge gives a visual as to wich way the drift can be placed.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Last edited by olmod; Jul 27, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:48 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,918 Posts
And olmod is right of course, I have a piece of 2mm drill rod as my usual tool and it is done exactly that way and when you put it in and catch the ledge, if you let it go it will usually find that best angle where it sets flat by itself.

Once I get one bearing out, I usually grab a close fitting wooden dowel (I have an assortment them always at hand) and push or drive the other bearing out with that.

Jack