HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Discussion
Plane with 3D Printer?

Hellow I'm one who looking for 3D printer best or make airplane parts(cawl, canopy or even wing!!) I've searched many information about printer and start to got some clue.

1. Make it with abs
material more commonly used in 3D printing is PLA. I expect you know what it is and chariteristics. it's more hard but not strong enough and have very low melting temprature. Other wise, ABS has som kind of flexibility so it's stronger than PLA. However, Printing ABS material need some trick. It shrink more when it cooled than PLA does. So warping happens If you do print without heated bed or heated chamber. (It just readed information I don't know what exact "know how" is.) Well, It's I ve learned so far.

2. Affordable 3D printers?
At this time there are lots of desk-top 3D printers in market which can deal with about 6~8 inch in each XYZ size. In our need I think at least 8 inch size is needed in every XYZ. If you make 40 engine plane cawl I guess it nearly fits 8 cubic inch. So, I made some list for that stuffs.

1) Type A machine series 1: It has I think 100micron resolution and 9cubic inch build volume. ABS also possible but need some modification. ~1600$

2) Bukobot 8 series: It has very good resolution with low price however they don't reply to my Email

3) ultimaker: it's similar to Type A

4) Replicator 2 It's expansive and PLA optimized.

I think we need ABS optimized 3D printer! where is it
If you have any more information It's very glad to share it here.
mixjsj is offline Find More Posts by mixjsj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:13 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,047 Posts
Make your own- buiild a reprap.
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:08 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I think vacuum forming is still king for canopy or cowl. The 3D printed ones would probably not hold up to vibration or minor contact with the ground at all. Stress around the mounting holes would probably be an issue over a short amount of time with vibration.

The 3d printed plane(s) so far was an exercise for students, and not very practical except for learning.

It'll get there, but I haven't been impressed with the mid-range or 5 year old high range printers at my last workplaces that had them.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:25 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,442 Posts
eagle777 there's also still the expense of the 3d printers. For what you can get a good printer for these days I'd be more inclined to spend that on a decent hobby grade CNC.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
I fiound ABS optimized one: Solidoodle 3rd generation
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I think vacuum forming is still king for canopy or cowl. The 3D printed ones would probably not hold up to vibration or minor contact with the ground at all. Stress around the mounting holes would probably be an issue over a short amount of time with vibration.

The 3d printed plane(s) so far was an exercise for students, and not very practical except for learning.

It'll get there, but I haven't been impressed with the mid-range or 5 year old high range printers at my last workplaces that had them.
I also have not much expectation to 3D printer, how ever you can very precise mock up with this stuff or can make even mold I think.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Making a mold is a perfect app for 3D printers.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Making a mold is a perfect app for 3D printers.
I heard somewhere that epoxy and ABS not gonna glue together. Is this chariteristic good for molding fiberparts from ABS mold? or make any trouble?

by the way I ordered Solidoodle 3rd gen!
Last edited by mixjsj; Aug 08, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 08:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixjsj View Post
I heard somewhere that epoxy and ABS not gonna glue together. Is this chariteristic good for molding fiberparts from ABS mold? or make any trouble?
You would always want a release agent.
Old Aug 08, 2013, 11:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
The only thing to mind when you Print out ABS material, It's shrinkage. and I will build mould of about 1000mm wing span jet. I will put the photos soon!
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
The hard part of 3d printing is making the solid model, then slicing it with correct support structure!

We have 3d printers that range from 30k to over 1million. Not super impressed with the resolution on the 30k ones. The 90k plastic ones seem much better. The 1+million dollar machines do metal, and those are quite impressive. Still don't think they are good for most model airplane parts, at least not smaller air frames. A benchtop cnc mill and a vacuum former would be nice.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:45 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,777 Posts
Have you seen this?:

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~decode...es/Page804.htm
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Yeah I saw it. it's name is "sulsa" in korean 설사 which mean Diarrhea LOL
Old Aug 11, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthetire View Post
The hard part of 3d printing is making the solid model, then slicing it with correct support structure!

We have 3d printers that range from 30k to over 1million. Not super impressed with the resolution on the 30k ones. The 90k plastic ones seem much better. The 1+million dollar machines do metal, and those are quite impressive. Still don't think they are good for most model airplane parts, at least not smaller air frames. A benchtop cnc mill and a vacuum former would be nice.
Hi ~

Solid model means solid CAD model?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:12 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Yes.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire