HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:16 AM
Joined Jul 2013
16 Posts
Question
Turnigy 9X or 9XR? and what module?

Hi everyone,
I currently have the Futaba Sky Sport 4 remote, it's great but I think I need an other remote.
I went buying the 9X on hobbyking because I heared it was great, but then I saw the new 9XR..I really liked it but I saw that it isn't very different from the 9X...
Also I saw therw are two popular modules for these, the FrSky DJT and the OrangeRX DSM2..
I read that the Orange tends to be more "glitchy", but has very cheap receivers, and that the DJT is a better transmitter and is much less "glitchy"..
What do you guys recommend the most?
What set should I get?
Thank you!
orcarmely is offline Find More Posts by orcarmely
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:58 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,124 Posts
I have the 9XR

Good: Most of the mods you would have to do with the 9X is already built in to the 9XR. Backlight, programming port, lipo battery, etc. I don't know what the 9X interface is like, but the 9XR firmware is pretty good.

Bad: It's hard to reach the shoulder switches especially if you're a pinch user, I had to let go of the sticks to reach them. I noticed people that are able to hold it properly are thumb flyers so I suppose the ergonomics are designed mostly for them. I've already had one crash which could have been saved on a Devo7 (It's the same recovery that had been previously done on the Devo7 in fact) but couldn't on the 9XR because of the switch positions. Still, the odds of this happening is rather remote, and most people wouldn't have the presence of mind to change modes in an imminent crash so switch ergonomics may not matter for most.

As for the module. FrSky has performed very well for me so far. RSSI gives a warning beep if you're getting out of range (Or rather, when I'm getting too low into the grass) so you'll know to recover before you lose signal completely. Also, you're going to tip over the radio a lot even if by accident, when that happens, the FrSky module has a little plastic stand to land on, the Orange module lands (and puts the TX's weight) directly on the antenna, that can't be good.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:50 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I have the 9XR

Good: Most of the mods you would have to do with the 9X is already built in to the 9XR. Backlight, programming port, lipo battery, etc. I don't know what the 9X interface is like, but the 9XR firmware is pretty good.
Assuming you install Open9x or ER9x firmware in the 9x, then 9x and 9XR have essentially the same capability -- excellent.

If you are comparing 9XR firmware (ER9X) with stock firmware in the 9X, then it's a different story. The 9X comes with a fairly rough programming system that is much inferior.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Jul 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
I have the 9XR

Bad: It's hard to reach the shoulder switches especially if you're a pinch user, I had to let go of the sticks to reach them. I noticed people that are able to hold it properly are thumb flyers so I suppose the ergonomics are designed mostly for them. I've already had one crash which could have been saved on a Devo7 (It's the same recovery that had been previously done on the Devo7 in fact) but couldn't on the 9XR because of the switch positions. Still, the odds of this happening is rather remote, and most people wouldn't have the presence of mind to change modes in an imminent crash so switch ergonomics may not matter for most.

As for the module. FrSky has performed very well for me so far. RSSI gives a warning beep if you're getting out of range (Or rather, when I'm getting too low into the grass) so you'll know to recover before you lose signal completely. Also, you're going to tip over the radio a lot even if by accident, when that happens, the FrSky module has a little plastic stand to land on, the Orange module lands (and puts the TX's weight) directly on the antenna, that can't be good.
Thank you so much, so should I get the 9xr + frsky?
I have some knowledge in programming, and I don't think I will have a problem programming the remote, I just want to use it out of the box.
Should I get the 9xr?
Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:24 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarmely View Post
Thank you so much, so should I get the 9xr + frsky?
I have some knowledge in programming, and I don't think I will have a problem programming the remote, I just want to use it out of the box.
Should I get the 9xr?
Thanks
That's a very good combination. 9XR will do what you need out of the box as far as programming is concerned. FrSky gives excellent performance, highly reliable RF link, moderately priced receivers ($15-25).

Don't forget to get a battery for the 9X. Here's one good, cheap possibility (requires charger with A123/LiFe capability).
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_pack_.html

OR
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tter_Pack.html
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:44 AM
kholub
Joined Nov 2008
4 Posts
have a look at the Frsky Taranis first. The quality of the Taranis is vastly superior to the 9x or 9xr.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RCModelReviews
kgholub is offline Find More Posts by kgholub
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:52 AM
kholub
Joined Nov 2008
4 Posts
have a look at the Frsky Taranis before you buy.

The quality of the Taranis is vastly superior to a 9x or 9xr. I suggest sticking with the sky sport until you can get a Taranis.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/RCModelReviews
kgholub is offline Find More Posts by kgholub
Last edited by kgholub; Jul 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM. Reason: addition
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:41 PM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
405 Posts
I'm looking to buy my first real transmitter, and the 9XR+Frsky module option sounds attractive. I just started the hobby 2 weeks ago and I think my squadron could look something like this in 1 year or so:

Hubsan X4 (already have 2 of these)
Walkera QR Ladybird v2
Syma X1
Basic hobby level helicopter (450 form factor?)
Quad for aerobatics (eg. 350 F.F.)
Quad or hex for video shooting/photos (eg. 550 F.F.)

Receiver price is not a big issue then, only the 2 bigger quads would be custom built, and some telemetry might be useful too.

I suppose in 1-2 years when I (might?) grow out of the 9XR there will already be available sets twice as good as Taranis for half the price.

If the 9XR+Frsky option is regarded as the optimal/standard for beginners, there's only one question in my mind ATM: how well do they bind with the receivers on the micro quads (previously 9X, Spektrum etc. worked with some but not others) - would that affect my transmitter/module choice?
varis is offline Find More Posts by varis
Last edited by varis; Jul 24, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:56 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,982 Posts
Your options with micros are limited. All the 2.4 systems are incompatible with each other. Some of the micros will just use existing radio gear so a real TX can control them, but others don't. If you must use them, do your research or just use the toy TX they come with.

I don't know of any that will work with the frsky module. There are some that will work with a flysky and quite a few more that will work with a spectrum module or the spek compatible orange module.

For larger models you can put a receiver into, it's tough to beat the frsky gear if you consider price/performance. The D4R-II receiver is tiny and light, fits well in even really tight spaces, and can do telemetry, CPPM (great for multicopters), and has great range.
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:15 AM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
I don't know of any that will work with the frsky module. There are some that will work with a flysky and quite a few more that will work with a spectrum module or the spek compatible orange module.
Which module does the original Turnigy 9X use btw? There's reports that some of the micros bind just fine with that one.
varis is offline Find More Posts by varis
Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:25 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varis View Post
Which module does the original Turnigy 9X use btw? There's reports that some of the micros bind just fine with that one.
It uses the FlySky, AKA Turnigy, module. Some of the micro helis and quads from WL Toys are compatible. Note that Walkera models use a different protocol.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1920217

One of many advantages of Taranis is that in addition to an internal FrSky module, it has an external slot that can take Orange DSM, FlySky, etc. modules. Availability of Taranis is very limited at the moment.

My advice for now would be to go for the 9XR for now using whatever module is needed for your preferred models. It will still be useful when you know better where you are going.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined Jul 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
It uses the FlySky, AKA Turnigy, module. Some of the micro helis and quads from WL Toys are compatible. Note that Walkera models use a different protocol.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1920217

One of many advantages of Taranis is that in addition to an internal FrSky module, it has an external slot that can take Orange DSM, FlySky, etc. modules. Availability of Taranis is very limited at the moment.

My advice for now would be to go for the 9XR for now using whatever module is needed for your preferred models. It will still be useful when you know better where you are going.
What is the best module if I have a 46 Trainer and a Swift 2 (flying wing)?
Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:26 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarmely View Post
What is the best module if I have a 46 Trainer and a Swift 2 (flying wing)?
Thanks!
FrSky DJT. But understand that you are not just choosing a module but a whole RF system.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Jul 2013
16 Posts
Hi,
Thank you guys so much!
I am about to order the remote!
Is this cart OK?:

1x FrSky DJT Module Combo
1x Turnigy 9XR Mode 2
1x HobbyKing 1500mAH LiFe 3S 9.9v Battery

How long will I be able to use the remote when the battery is fully charged?
Should I get a 2200mAh LiPo or the battery above?

Thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:57 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,124 Posts
Not sure about life, but a fully charged lipo will last you weeks. I got the 2200mah that's specifically meant for the 9XR.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member