HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:00 AM
Joined Jul 2013
59 Posts
Discussion
Vern E Clements plans

Hi
I am new to the forum and build static models, I am after any on the large scale plans of the following aircraft by Vern Clements 1/3 scale, I do know that Vern E Clements died in 2005 or there about's, I have tried the normal route by contacting the address on the web but have been told that they are at present not reproducing his plans, is there anybody that has any of these plans that is willing to sell to me, the reason for the large scale versions of his drawings are that they are the most accurate and detailed, the smaller scales have less details on them and from what I have read slight inaccuracies, I live in England but Have a delivery address in the USA, it appears that a simple task has turned into an epic marathon to find these plans, please contact direct on mgmoulds@freenetname.co.uk or via the forum.

Mick Gannon

1931 Gee Bee Model Z

1932 Gee Bee Model R-1

1932 Gee Bee Model R-2

1932 Springfield Bulldog

1939 "The Goon"

1938 Monocoupe 110 SP

1955 Monocoupe 110 SP

1940 Culver Cadet

1939-44 Rearwin Cloudster

1938 "Firecracker"
Mick Gannon is offline Find More Posts by Mick Gannon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:45 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,407 Posts
This is probably the wrong forum for that question as most of the posts deal with vintage model aeroplanes. That some may be scale models of vintage full-size craft is usually just incidental.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Jul 2013
59 Posts
Thanks for the reply, which forum do you suggest please.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,339 Posts
I think this may be the right forum. It may also just be one of several.

I've had opportunity to own or review several of Clements plans and scale drawings over the years. Some, in my opinion, are simply astounding, others not so much.

I think a rather common falicy among those interested in scale drawings, as such, tend to think a given draftsman's renderings, MUST be either great or poor, simply by reputation. William Wylam comes to mind, for years considered "the standard for accuracy". Unfortunately, the majority of his work has not been able to weather the rising sophistication and knowledge of his audience. However for certain aircraft he's still the best/only source there is. and can be surprizingly accurate in these particular cases (his early Boeing P-12, as an example).

I've seen most of those Clements drawings listed except, the Monocoupes, Rearwin, and "Firecracker". Of the lot, the Culver Cadet is my favorite (a 1/12 scale model plan- FF gas!!). I have also worked on a full size R-1 mock-up based upon Clement's 1/4 scale model plans (not scale drawings). Certainly close enough for our (our customer's) needs, but I wouldn't say they exactly live up to their considerable reputation.

The worst IMHO, is the Bulldog scale drawing. We undertook a considerable design review with intent of building a flying replica. We soon began to see what we considered were very questionable features that could not be rectified against clear photgographic evidence (Out of proprotion cowl diameter and entire fuselage circularity appear too large for the engine shown). There is also the contentious issue introduced by Clements himself , his findings about the nature of the wing sweep-back. While interesting, he offers no real proof for his contentions, just his findings, IIRC. As it happens, that drawing is the only Clement rendering I own at present.

For "Firecracker" you might try to locate excellent (again IMHO) scale drawings in "Bent Throttles", official organ of racing S.I.G. for IPMS. They are on the web, I believe, out of Sweden. I'll PM you with names and other info ASAP.
packardpursuit is offline Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:44 AM
Joined Jul 2013
59 Posts
Thank you for your reply, I have collected several books over the past few months and as you say some drawings considered good some bad, the 1/3 scale Vern Clements drawings of Z,R1 and R2 are said to be the best, but little is known about the B,C,D,E and Y in terms of drawings the other aircraft there have been no comments up till now from you. I am sorting to purchase the Late P Matt drawings on CD vol 3 when the web page lets me enter my details correctly(another story).
I find the Golden Years 1929-1936 intresting that individuals designed, made and built the aircraft and had them certified so as to fly, on a shoe string buget, and it was only when the French entered their national backed aircraft was the mould broken, I also can't imagine a 7 day flying show with 50,000-60,000 attending like the National Air Races.
I look forward to your pm's and anybody that can help further.

Regards
Old Jul 27, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,339 Posts
Mike

Clements' Bulldog drawing just appeared on another thread. Coincidence?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1867205&page=4

reply #57
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:45 AM
Joined Jul 2013
59 Posts
Intresting drawing and one that I would like to get even with inaccuracies it is a start but more important that it is catologued and kept somewhere where it can be accessed or it will be lost in time.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,339 Posts
While I understand the argument about saving "lost drawings" Clements' work may not exactly be in that category yet. I'm having a bit of bi=polar anxiety over the issue. Just because something is not yet posted on the internet, does not mean it is lost.

I also cringe a bit every time I see somebody refering to someone else's intellectual property as "Free on the internet". If the renderer has their work "outed" on the internet, thus losing effective control, the best intentions of the poster mean little or nothing to the fellow that's lost control.

Please don't think I want to rehash the copyright argument, etc. I do want people to realize somebody else likely bore the real cost of it appearing online.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Jul 2013
59 Posts
The copyright issue will go on for a long while, I should have made myself more clear, at present there are hundreds of aircraft that have a drawing, good, bad or indifferent, if they could be catologued in one area and added to as and when more information was found along with contact details to obtain "legal Copies" so the renderer did not lose ownership this would be good for all.
Now certain aircraft have so many drawings on them that the drawings start to contridict each other, your view "accurracy is the most important" yes i totally agree, what the model flyer does to the drawing to make his model is not important, if the drawing is wrong the model will be wrong plain and simple.
A catologue of known good drawings, elborate or simple outlines is a must for anybody starting a project.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:19 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit View Post
Mike

Clements' Bulldog drawing just appeared on another thread. Coincidence?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1867205&page=4

reply #57
Yep. Coincidence. I posted that (low res thumbnail), day before yesterday. Only just stumbled onto this thread now. Spooky, huh?

Steve.
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:56 AM
Joined Jul 2013
59 Posts
Spooky yes, it is intresting that there is still a big following of these 1930 aircraft

Anybody else got some Vern Clements drawings they wish to part with?