SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2001, 06:06 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
Ezone input on 3 acrobatic park flyers.

Hello all, just wanted to get thoughts on a few acrobatic fun flyers.

1. Dave's Aircraft Works Extra 300/Staudaucher.

2. Hobby Lobby? Sukhuoi/Cap231

3. Anything I missed.

Based on price, the DAW planes are the obvious choice. But how do they fly?

I want a tough park flyer acrobat, with a nice scale appearance. I intend to purchase an AstroFlight 010 motor for power, and use Li batteries. Any recommendations, or wisdom would be appriciated.

I also considered the www.parkflyers.com M100 motor. 7 ox of thrust and low weight and power consumption. As well as 1/3 the cost of the AF. Opinions?

Thanks
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2001, 06:36 PM
New Bedford, Ma. USA
Joined May 2001
1,414 Posts
I've done research on both of these planes and this is what I have found out the Sukhuoi and Cap231 are exactly the same except appearance, both are very aerobatic but they have to be kept light and have a weak point where the landing gear are attached, the fuse tends to break in that spot but they are very good flying aerobitic planes but I favor the Dave's Aircraft Works Extra 300/Staudaucher again the two are almost the same plane. the only real problem I have read is again landing gear, They tend to rip off the foam on rough landings but everything I have read has been all positive and not one post I have found had anyone that owned one dislike it but from what I can tell is that you have to really know how to fly to handle any of these planes. Keep in mind I have no experience with these planes but I am a info nut and like to learn all I can about the things I am into. If I have made any error in this post and someone knows from experience please correct me.
Best of luck
Dauntae

[This message has been edited by Dauntae (edited 07-30-2001).]
Dauntae is offline Find More Posts by Dauntae
Old Jul 30, 2001, 06:44 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
The DAW planes are great fliers, but I would be a bit hesitant to recommend them as park fliers - unless you have a very big park. At 50 mph they can eat up a lot of sky quickly. Other than that, they're great airplanes. Fast, responsive, and capable of doing all the standard aerobatic mavouvers except the 3-D stuff, which is really more of a speed 400 limitation.

Build it stock, and take your time to build it straight. You'll have a great little airplane.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Jul 30, 2001, 06:48 PM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
The DAW Staudecker is not a "park flyer", closer to a speed 400 pylon plane. Zips along quite niceley on a 400 and 8 600's. Launch can be a bit tricky, and be very carefull of CG...

Steven
Steven D is offline Find More Posts by Steven D
Old Jul 30, 2001, 06:54 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
hmm, ok....

what would you recommend as a big park, football field flyer? Acrobatic, and scale appearance?
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
Old Jul 30, 2001, 07:01 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,899 Posts
I love my Hobby Lobby Champion, but it is suitable for calmish days only.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Jul 30, 2001, 07:19 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
829 Posts
The Simprop Cap 231 with an Astro brushless 020 is an outstanding airplane. It requires some modification to get the 020 in and the landing gear set up properly, but with an 8 cell pack of 1000 Nimh's it is a blast!
Dave Grife is online now Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jul 30, 2001, 07:21 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
Daw's planes are made from EPP, strong and light. The simprop (h lobby) planes are made of foam, light and weak. Or brittle I should say. But if your touch is to three point land every time...

As for an astro 010 get the geared if you want speed 400 like performance the direct is more like and upgraded direct 280. But the geared is better than a 400.

I can't wait until the champions come into stock.
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton
Old Jul 31, 2001, 12:44 AM
pfg
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
446 Posts
the 010 will draw too much current for the Li's - they are only good to about 2 amps and to get any power out of the 010 you need 5. 720 NiMH's work very well at these draws and give lots of duration. im flying a gb hacker powered crazy sparrow right now and its a blast. it would fly on a 010 but dont expect long verticals. its also not exactly slow, at least not with the hacker
pfg is offline Find More Posts by pfg