HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

HexaCrafter - Premier Multicopter Airframe Systems

While researching multirotor frames I found HexaCrafter, then I noticed the company was local to me. Instant RCG interview!

Splash

From "Pro-sumer" frames to full-on professional heavy lifter rigs HexaCrafter has you covered.

Last week I was searching the internet checking out the many, many frames available to build heavy lift multirotors. A search result popped up "HexaCrafter" and the picture of the rig on the website instantly grabbed my attention. HexaCrafter was a name that I had heard mentioned several times before while reading some MR threads here on RCG but for some reason, I had not looked the company up yet. When I got to the website, my eyes were immediately drawn to the pictures of the available frames. The frames look very robust and have a very unique look to the booms (which later I found out gives the frames ten times the strength of your regular round boom frame)! An almost rectangular boom really makes this frame stand out. After checking out the frames, I decided to email HexaCrafter to request more information. I noticed that the company had a local phone number and low and behold, HexaCrafter is in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio just down the road from me!

After a series of introduction emails, Andrew Raines, the owner, asked if I would like to get together and fly so I could see one of his rigs in action. I invited Andrew to the FlyingGiants.com Ohio Huckfest and Andrew showed up and brought a few of his current frames for me to see, as well as a brushless gimbal he had developed a little while ago. I was pretty excited to say the least.

Andrew is a very engaging person who is obviously very passionate about his products/frames. The HexaCopter frames are not some distributor-produced, rebranded for "your company" frames. Each frame that HexaCrafter offers is completely designed by Andrew. Every plate shape, boom shape, bolt hole, and function was meticulously crafted by Andrew with many revisions until the frame was perfect. Hearing Andrew tell the story of the development of his frames really make one understand the man's passion for his product. The rectangular booms were a long process of research and trial and error. Andrew was simply not happy with any of the readily available carbon fiber tubes as they flexed too much for his liking, so Andrew designed the rectangular boom arms which are shown to be ten times stronger than your average 25mm round carbon tube!

From the unique boom design to basically every other detail, HexaCrafter's frames are well thought out and when explained by Andrew make every aspect of the HexaCrafter frames more and more appealing. There are great features such as an "ESC rack" that helps keep the ESCs cool and tidy, to the folding option that allows the big 800 size rig to be stored in a Pelican case and completely assembled and ready to fly in about five minutes.

Andrew said there were ten properties that were important to the design of the frames:

• Extremely Rigid
  • Extremely Durable
  • Grow with the owners needs
  • Clear assembly instructions and parts list
  • Ability to attach other vendors' accessories and components
  • Options for mounting batteries and accessories
  • Ability to accept multiple flight control options
  • Organized and thought out power distribution system
  • Ability to take powerful motors to lift heavy weights
  • Ability to travel internationally

From what I was able to see while visiting with Andrew, he has met all his goals and then some!

Andrew has some really cool stuff coming soon, and you can bet I'll get the inside scoop when he's ready to spill the beans. So until then, Andrew, it was a pleasure, I look forward to flying together soon.

To check out more about HexaCrafter please check out www.hexacrafter.com

Last edited by Sleepyc; Jul 22, 2013 at 05:39 PM..

Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:07 PM
bacon and eggs
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined May 2013
1,038 Posts
are those Avroto motors on there?
remvideo is online now Find More Posts by remvideo
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:03 PM
Manufacturer
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
Yes,
This HC-650 has Avroto 2814-770kv.
12x6 Xoar Props.
HexaCrafter is offline Find More Posts by HexaCrafter
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:31 PM
Here hold my beer. Watch this!
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2008
426 Posts
Very sweet looking machine.

What battery capacity and flight time?
Sad Sack is offline Find More Posts by Sad Sack
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:20 AM
Manufacturer
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
This is the HC-650 with Avroto 2814-770kv motors, (2) 4s - 5000 mah.- weighs 5000 grams. It flys about 10 minutes in this configuration.
Flight time can be increased with lighter loads, different motors & battery combinations.
Realistically expect a 8-12 minute flight with a camera loaded aircraft.
The HC-800 uses T-Motor MT-3515-400kv or MT-3520-400kv motors, (2) 6s - 5000 mah- weighs 7200 grams with 10-14 minute flight times.
Both airframes can be set-up with numerous motor/ battery & camera configurations so the flight times are based on the actual set-up. We recommend motor/ battery set-ups to customers based on the proposed loads.
HexaCrafter is offline Find More Posts by HexaCrafter
Old Aug 03, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Superior Product

I have built both an HC-650 and an HC=800 and they truly are great machines. Not only is it everything Andrew has claimed but he is a man of integrity and really cares about this industry. I am so glad I went with his frames because of the support and guidance he as able to provide. I don't have photos on my home computer but I will upload some as soon as I get to my office. They are awesome machines! John
Giovanni59 is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni59
Old Sep 11, 2013, 09:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hatfield Heath
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
I've been flying the HC-650 for nearly a year. This frame is second to none, when I received the item in the UK and unpacked it, I was like a kid with a new toy. The instruction manual was easy to follow and Andrews support was there 24/7. The opportunity to upgrade your craft to the HC-800 is simple and less expensive than purchasing a new frame every time you want to add more. Not only are the frames strong and ridged, but the accessories list covers every requirement you need. Again saving money and building a spec to you needs. I will not be changing my kit from this.. There is no need too.. As Jon mentioned in the above post! Awesome bit of kit.. ***** Five Stars
VINF550 is offline Find More Posts by VINF550
Old Sep 16, 2013, 03:22 PM
Multirotor News Contributor
United States, OH, Aurora
Joined Aug 2006
966 Posts
The Hexacrafter series of Multirotor frames are pretty awesome. Everything has been thought out. EVERYTHING. Adn teh quality of the kit is insane. Everything fits perfectly.
Sleepyc is online now Find More Posts by Sleepyc