HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:47 AM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
Question
Mild Brushless System for my Tower Hobbies Power Vee...

Hey everyone.

I have a Tower Hobbies Power Vee. I like it, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest any ideas for a mild brushless power system in order to get a bit more speed and also a more effecient system?

The boat has water cooling jackets around the motor, and I'm not looking for any kind of blistering speed...20-25 MPH would be perfectly fine for me.

I'm not opposed to getting an ESC that has water cooling and running the system through both the ESC and the water jacket.

I'm just not really sure what kind of KV motor I should be looking into.

For what it's worth, the boat is the same as an old Aquacraft Hammer EP.

Thanks!
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is offline Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Me too

Hi Jeff,

I have a Tower Power Vee on order, and have done my homework:

Try this thread on RCU, for starters: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=2128416
A brushed system (gasp!) can be fast, too....Post # 10.

Also, if you want the easiest, drop-in, or "plug-n-play" brushless system I would recommend AquaCraft, because both Tower and Aquacraft are proprietary Hobbico brands.
The 1800Kv motor is used in most of Aquacraft's RTR's: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZGW6&P=ML
The 45 Amp ESC should work with your current battery packs: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZGW7&P=7

If you are not concerned about ESC cooling, any 1/10th scale / 540 car system will work: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...0&currentPage=
Please consider that I have not measured the interior of the Power Vee, and cannot recommend a system, based on dimensions.

If you're at the LHS, and willing to go to the other team, try Proboat and Dynamite accessories, from HH.

SS
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:25 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
Nice!!!

I've looked and looked but never managed to find a thread about the Hammer EP. I'm not sure why that RCU one didn't come up in searches I have done.

I'm thinking about maybe going with something like that 45a ESC...it's the one I had already looked at...and then just going with a standard 540 sized car motor, probably in the 2800kv range.

I don't plan on running 3s, so I'm guessing I could up the kv a bit and still get good run times with my 2s packs that I'm using.

Then again, the Pro Boat Shockwave BL is a boat that is pretty similar in size to the Power Vee, so the same type of power system found in that would probably do a pretty good job.

I really like the Power Vee. It's a fun boat. I recently started using my 5000mah 2s packs in it, and they work great. After I run it to 3.3v (the low voltage alarm I have is loud enough to be heard in the hull) I bring it back and the motor and ESC are both in the 115 degree range, which should be plenty cool enough to give it pretty long life.

I think I should also find some turn fins for it, as it likes to jump around when you hammer on the steering wheel.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:08 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
Well, I just bought a new brushless setup for my ECX Torment, so I now have a 15t motor and a waterproof ESC.

I'm thinking about maybe trying that in the boat just to see how it goes.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:31 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Eeeewww.....Horizon Hobby?
I never did follow the short course trend. I'm way too old skool for that!

The Aquacraft ESC's are mostly rated for 4s LiPos, which would tear the Tower Power Vee's molded hull apart at the seams!
So, I think you will be happy with a brushed motor in the stock boat....

Have you swapped the prop shaft for a standard size and upgraded to a metal/aftermarket prop?
Is the 15-turn motor sealed can or rebuildable w/ adjustable timing?
How are you going to cool the ESC?

SS
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:56 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
I got that Torment for free!!! It was the first V2 Torment outside of Horizon's hands, and it was given to me by the head of the ECX division to test about four weeks before the truck was released to the public.

The motor is just a stock 15t Mabuchi, with the Dynamite logo on it. If I fry it, it's no big deal. As for cooling the ESC, I may just give it a go as is and see what the temps are like. That ESC runs really cool in the truck, so I'm hoping it will run cool in the boat.

I haven't done any mods to the boat, other than new trim. I would like to get some turn fins but I'm not sure how to mount them.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:10 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Ok,

I fly Futaba so I can't help you there....

But, use this mod for aftermarket props: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...-aquacraft.php

And, the Nitro Hammer manual shows how to trim the turn fins : http://manuals.hobbico.com/aqu/aqub26-manual.pdf

Happy sailing....
Old Jul 31, 2013, 04:31 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Eleventh hour

I went with the AquaCraft Rio EP, at the last minute.

Similar power system to the Tower Power Vee....mo' money....mo' betta running gear.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 12:43 AM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
Nice.

My Power Vee came with that same radio. It was one of the "Scratch and Dent" models that had been sent back for a defective transmitter, so they threw a Tactic TTX240 in and sold it to me for $65 shipped. Not too shabby!!!!
Old Aug 01, 2013, 07:28 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Abc

Already-been-chewed?
Old Aug 03, 2013, 10:45 PM
Valiant Poultry
Joined Apr 2012
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssautter View Post
Already-been-chewed?
It hadn't ever been in the water. I'm guessing someone bought it, tried to test it, found the radio didn't work so they sent it back.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Yours for the low, low price of a billion dollars....

I'll be ditching the RTR/stock Tx, almost immediately, and selling it later in a consignment sale.

The ESC uses a drag brake, and no reverse delay, which I understand for safety.

However, reverse is worthless in a race!

So, I have decided to try another brushed airplane ESC, with programmable drag brake for folding prop applications, and see how that works.

Volts up....prop down.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:05 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
More powa

Ok....

I ordered and received a 3S capable brushed-speed control, with drag brake function: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=36712

The airplane system will be low cost; but, not capable of reverse!

How is your 15t system working? Is it any faster? Is the ESC getting hot?