Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 04, 2004, 11:24 AM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Shipping LIPO batteries??

Is it ok to ship LIPO batteries by air freight?

I'm going to Hawaii in March for a couple of weeks. I don't play golf and I'm not big on laying on the beach. I thought I might ship my Mini-Speedwing over ahead of time for something fun to do while I'm there? I'm not worried about the airplane or radio, but don't exactly know how the batteries will be received? I thought about hideing them in my shoes and taking them on the airline with me. ? On second thought??? You guys would get a kick out of seeing me on the evening news getting busted for transporting my parkflyer.

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2004, 11:41 AM
Suburb of Chicago
Joined Jan 2004
18 Posts
Shipping LiPo's

I don't see why that would be a problem you have to be sure 100% that they will not short out while in the air so it dosen't casue a fire.

I would send them in a fire safe packed with foam so that they don't move around while in transit. You can cut out little compartments in the foam so that packs can sit in.

I think this a good and safe way to transport LiPo's
Electronics-Guy is offline Find More Posts by Electronics-Guy
Old Feb 04, 2004, 12:48 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
I received a lot of packs by mail. This isn't a used gas tank vs a new gas tank issue were the "used" tank might cause an explosion because of the fumes now present in the tank.

Ship them well packed labeled fragile and everything should be fine (I rec'd two in the mail (2s1p - 1500 kokam and a 3s2p - 3000 Kokam pack) with hardly any packing material fine). If you have any questions ask your local post master. Li-po's aren't any more dangerous in my mind than shipping NiCAD's or NiMH's. Protect any of the packs and their fine. Abuse any of the packs above and they will all vent!

Kevin
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Feb 04, 2004, 01:03 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
I had to ship a pack back to FMA for repair, and just for safety I removed the battery connector, and wrapped the lead wires (both with shrink wrap on the ends) tightly. Last thing I need is some postal worker accidentally poking the package and puncturing the cell, or rough handling shorting the wires.

I'd ship it in a plastic bag, wrapped in something like bubble wrap and put it in a box. Should make it just fine
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Feb 04, 2004, 02:21 PM
Westmead NSW Australia
Joined Jan 2004
465 Posts
Mike,

Hobby-Lobby shipped a 2s1p 350maH pack inside a MiniGeeBee kit that I ordered with minimal packaging.
So I wouldn't be overly concerned as long as you follow the normal safety precautions....

Cheers..........Doug
dlps is offline Find More Posts by dlps
Old Feb 04, 2004, 06:33 PM
Holy Li-po Power Batman!
Wadsworth, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
156 Posts
Mike:
You might have a problem with the "TSA" (Homeland Security) at the airport. A Lipo pack would be suspicious in their eyes and they may give you a hassle if you go through the security checkpoint.
Craig
757ETOPS is offline Find More Posts by 757ETOPS