HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2013, 02:01 AM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
Discussion
V922 vs Wasp Nano CPx

I am graduating from me v911 and I would like my next helicopter to have CP. I am contemplating between the V922 and the Was Nano CPx. From what I read the V922 is more durable which may be good when learning 3D flying Anyone have any input either way? Thanks in advance!
DM3MD157 is offline Find More Posts by DM3MD157
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2013, 02:22 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
If you didn't read my review of the Wasp Nano CPX, then this is the summary for you - get the V922 as your CP trainer. With the WNCPX, you will spend more time waiting for replacement parts, and repairing the fragile helicopter. A beginner will not appreciate the potential of the powerful brushless motor of the WNCPX.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Jul 21, 2013, 02:41 AM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
From what I read the transmitter that comes with the v922 is some what lacking. Is it easily capable for inverted flight?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
You should not worry about inverted flight for now. You're going to take sometime before you try that. For the record, the V922 transmitter is fine for simple hovering, fast circuits, and even 3D moves like flips and rolls.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 05:54 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2013
111 Posts
Probably for a CP beginner a Super CP + Devo 7E (not Devo 7) or Devo 10 is better, if you don't fear programmable TXs.
It's durable (I have it) and from what I read more so than the 922.
The 922 has more power and is better for 3D.
The Super CP brushless conversion can be problematic.

But FyreSG has both, I think, so it's opinion counts more then mine.

Note: on Devo 7E (or better Devo 10) you can install Deviation and use it with other brands, some without hardware modifications (DSM2, Blade), other with hardware modification (so it's no so simple, at least for me).
clondver is offline Find More Posts by clondver
Old Jul 21, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
You should not worry about inverted flight for now. You're going to take sometime before you try that. For the record, the V922 transmitter is fine for simple hovering, fast circuits, and even 3D moves like flips and rolls.
Not really that concerned about inverted flight, just want to make sure that it is capable in the future. That being said, can you fly inverted with the V922?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 03:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
889 Posts
You can even go for the brushed nano cp. The thing going against the v922 is its toy transmitter. You cannot set your throttle and pitch curves. The NASA 701 transmitter with its throttle and pitch curves, d/r and exp is going to be a great learning tool. The wasp nano cp also has a special beginner mode set on the Heli which is very useful for transitioning to cp flying. The skyartec wasp nano cp is the best and also most economical tool for learning cp at this time.
Lentar is offline Find More Posts by Lentar
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
How about it's durability like FyreSG mentions? I would want the heli to be on the more resilient side especially since I am learning CP. I know the Wasp Nano CP gives you brushless motors as well, not even sure what advantage that gives (I know I will search).
Old Jul 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5,589 Posts
Like I have stated in this thread, the transmitter is fine for inverted fly. Many of us here flew our V922s inverted with the stock transmitter. Have you seen my V922 3D video? My friend did tick tocks with the stock transmitter.

You are new to CP helis and I was like you. If throttle and pitch curves, D/R, expo, etc make no sense to you, you wouldn't be meddling with them anyway. So the non-programmable V922 transmitter is actually suitable for you.

All these info had been repeatedly posted in the V922 thread, because it is a very typical question from a beginner. You would get more answers by reading the V922 thread.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined Jul 2013
12 Posts
I am not new to R/C, I used to be an avid hobbyist many moons ago. I am familiar with many aspects of transmitter functionality however I do admit I had most experience with planes and cars (I had one gas FP back in the day). I'm not trying to get a CP heli to just do stunts, I am merely looking to invest into a better heli for future use. So if I weren't going to use the functionality right away, I would be however after learning techniques. Understand where I'm coming from?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:32 AM
Joined Oct 2012
889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
How about it's durability like FyreSG mentions? I would want the heli to be on the more resilient side especially since I am learning CP. I know the Wasp Nano CP gives you brushless motors as well, not even sure what advantage that gives (I know I will search).
I also went from v911 and F45 to the Skyartec Wasp Nano CP to learn 6 ch CP. I did not find it to be less durable in some bad crashes I had. I am still using the original frame, rotor head and tail rotor hub, original tail boom.

Here you have to understand that you will need to fly within your skill limitations if you want to preserve your heli. If you fly over concrete and in your living room loaded with furniture etc. I can guarantee that you will break parts. If you fly over grass till you have better flying skills, you are not going to have problems.

The brushed version is older and well tested, and has the 'green' beginner mode which I'm not sure the brushless version has.The problems are well documented, and you just need to check basically that the links are not binding and you are good to go.

Parts are also cheaper than Walkera.

If you want to do aerobatics eventually, you are going to have to learn to play with curves, D/R, EXP and better learn it now for cheap than later.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:55 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,594 Posts
Plain and simple ..want to fly and have fun V922.
Want to wait for parts with crashed heli Wasp Nano way to go.
V922 parts are half what most c/p helis out there. Don't take my word look them up and check threads. Good luck. If you know anything about RC/ TX's whole nine yards buy Blade/ Spectrum and forget about low end stuff. MCP-X V2/ Nano mCP-X/ MCP-X BL Even Walkrea Super c/p w/ Devo 7e not half bad. Same guys are in there to say how good others are. Just check the threads and compare . I have flown countless hours on my Blade helis and everyone is still flying. Close behind are my Walkrea's also...not quite as reliable but more than good. Blade is leader in micro's/ mini's and there bigger stuff is excellent to.
Blade has the ball others are trying to copy or paly catch up.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 22, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
889 Posts
Blade is not cost-effective.

Check the price of their BNF offerings.

Now are they really that much better?

For the price of a Blade BNF, you can get a Wasp RTF + BNF, that way you will get every possible spare part.

If you are in the U.S. you can get complete spare parts from ParkFlying, so why would you have to wait? Otherwise there are plenty of Hong Kong online merchants with fast and cheap shipping.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 03:01 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,594 Posts
[For the price of a Blade BNF, you can get a Wasp RTF + BNF, that way you will get every possible spare part.

I just recieved my last MCP-X V2 for $100.00 to my door. You compare the Wasp to a MCP-X V2 ?? Sounds like tunnel vision.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 22, 2013, 03:21 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentar View Post
Blade is not cost-effective.

Check the price of their BNF offerings.

Now are they really that much better?

For the price of a Blade BNF, you can get a Wasp RTF + BNF, that way you will get every possible spare part.
No.

A BNF MCPx is $100-$120 right now. In fact, I bought my last one for $129, which included SEVEN extra batteries (NEW!). A brushed Wasp Nano RTF is $100. A BNF is another $70.

As for parts, which is what he was talking about in the first place, the sheer popularity of the Blade products has launched many copycat products (FBL100/V922/etc...) which use similar parts that can be exchanged between models. This presents the best of both worlds, because if you want it RIGHT NOW in the US you'll likely be able to find the original parts locally. But if you want to save a buck and get cheap parts, you can order off-brand stuff from China dirt cheap. (Just look at the prices on some of the V922/FBL100 parts, as well as some of the aftermarket MCPx parts).

The nano is in a world of it's own right now, and despite efforts to improve and support it by Skyartec, it's still got a long way to go before parts are as common and cheap as the models that have been on the market longer. Not a dig at Skyartec, simply the facts of being an early adopter. At one point I'm sure it was the same for the MCPx.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead