HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2001, 04:12 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
Ryan Aircraft P-47 Kit Release

At long last, the Ryan Aircraft P-47 Thunderbolt kit is ready for release. This is an all laser-cut version of the Jug that was featured as a construction article in the July 2001 issue of Model Aviation. Recommended power is a Speed 400 motor on 8 cells or a small brushless motor like the AstroFlight 020 or Hacker B20-12L.

The kit can be built as either the Razorback or Bubbletop version, and all parts for either version (including both canopies) are included. The plans also show mods for the late-war long range N model. Unlike my previous kits, the Jug has a built-up wing with laser cut spars and ribs. The fuse uses my standard crutch-built construction.

The introductory price is $75, including shipping. You can order on-line via PayPal, or via snail mail with check or money order.

For more details, please visit my website:

Jim Ryan
http://home.fuse.net/ryan
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2001, 07:44 PM
Joined Nov 2001
34 Posts
Hi Jim,

Any particular reason why you decided to go with a built-up wing rather than foam? I haven't built any of your kits but they look fantastic. I'm strongly considering the P47 for an early Christmas gift to myself
seafury is offline Find More Posts by seafury
Old Dec 05, 2001, 08:43 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by seafury
Any particular reason why you decided to go with a built-up wing rather than foam?

Given the semi-elliptical planform of the Jug, this really made the most sense. Certainly, it's possible to do a Jug with a foam wing, and if I'd been making a one-off project for myself, I likely would have gone that route. But for a kit, this is more scale, and also more repeatable for other modelers to build.

The built-up wing is really pretty straightforward; laser cut parts certainly make life easier.

Jim
Old Dec 06, 2001, 08:11 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Hey Jim,

Are you ready to show us your bubble top version yet? I would like to see how yours is turning out.

I still have to build the enlarged version of your p-47 in razzorback form, just have too many projects in the que before I get there (plus moving into a new house throws kinks into my plnas).

Anyway, great job on the P-47, it really was easy to build, and flies like a dream. What is your next kit going to be?

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Dec 07, 2001, 10:35 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by Slope Nut
Hey Jim,

Are you ready to show us your bubble top version yet? I would like to see how yours is turning out.

I posted a photo in reply to your inquiry in the BL motors for S400 warbirds thread. You can see it here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&pagenumber=4

It's still bare balsa; I've been out of town all week and haven't gotten around to glassing it yet.

Anyway, great job on the P-47, it really was easy to build, and flies like a dream. What is your next kit going to be?

Greg

I'd have to kill you, Greg.

Jim
Old Dec 07, 2001, 03:13 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Jim -

Gee, I knew the model business could be cut-throat, but....!!

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Dec 07, 2001, 07:11 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Send it on to me then Jim, I have PLENTY of time to finish it up for you (of course I would need to fly it first you know).

That sucker sure looks nice though

As for the potential murder plot, I am willing to risk it

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Dec 07, 2001, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2001
34 Posts
Hey Jim,

I have some extra radio stuff lying around:

a couple HS50's
JR 610 micro receiver
Gws 4r micro receiver

Could I use any of this stuff in the P47?

Also, I noticed that you include shipping to Canada. Do you have any idea how long it takes to get to Ontario? (approximately)

Last question, What's the stall speed like on your planes?

Thanks.
Old Dec 08, 2001, 02:52 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by seafury
a couple HS50's
JR 610 micro receiver
Gws 4r micro receiver

Could I use any of this stuff in the P47?

I'm using a JR 610 receiver and HS-55s in mine. I think HS-50s would likely work, but I haven't tried them. I think the HS-55s are nearly ideal for these models. I wouldn't use the GWS receiver in one of these planes; a friend of mine was flying one of my Hellcats with one at NEAT, and it got swamped by all the Rf on the flightline.

Also, I noticed that you include shipping to Canada. Do you have any idea how long it takes to get to Ontario? (approximately)

Orders to Canada ship via airmail (MUCH better than UPS). Even with the current postal situation, I don't know of it ever taking more than a week for a kit to arrive.

Last question, What's the stall speed like on your planes?

Depends on how lightly you build them. The P-47 will settle in very slowly. Mine lands at around 12 to 14 MPH. Comfortable cruise range is in the 30 to 40 MPH range, and top speed is about 50 MPH.

Jim
Old Dec 08, 2001, 11:24 PM
Joined Nov 2001
34 Posts
Thanks for answering my questions Jim.

You've sold me - I'll be ordering a P47, but not till next week.

I figure I should do some Christmas shopping for other people first.
Old Dec 09, 2001, 08:06 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
JIM

THe Ezone needs to create a new SMILIE for DROOLING...

Very nice JUG! make mine an "N"

Bruce
gbruce is online now Find More Posts by gbruce
Old Dec 09, 2001, 08:48 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
i just want to add something. i ordered one today from Jim's website and within hours i got a confirmation email from Jim saying thanks and it will ship tomorrow!
that is exactly the type of transaction we all strive to have!
..............gregg
Old Dec 10, 2001, 09:55 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,960 Posts
Thanks, Gregg. In the interests of full disclosure, I must say that I'm not usually processing on-line orders at 10PM on Sunday night, so to an extent, you got lucky.

The reality of running a kit business when I travel most of each week is that I'm not always able to respond as quickly as I would like if I was the guy placing the order. Sometimes a particular item might be out of stock, and I'm not even home to do something about that.

But especially this time of year, I do my best to get orders out the door as quickly as I can. And given the last couple of weeks, I think the guys at the post office are getting sick of the sight of me.

Jim