SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Discussion
DJI censoring where you can fly

The WKM upgrade now has a no fly zone built into it 15km around Tienanmen Square . I love the idea of being able to impose your own no fly zones through software,for safety reasons, airports etc. I not not think it right that govts can now make manufacturers hard wire in no flyzones in tho the core software. One of the most important future use of this technology is for journalists to cover stories govts don't want them to cover. SO will the Turkish govt now request no fly zones around taskim square
Polisin vurarak düsürdügü helikopterden görüntüler! / Footage from the helicopter that was shot down by police [HD] (8 min 44 sec)
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:33 AM
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Wavre
Joined Feb 2011
212 Posts
On one side I could potentially understand that no fly zones for consumer products are imposed around airports, nuclear stations or other such facilities. On the other hand what you are reporting is freaking and indeed raises numerous questions & concerns. Do you have any data to corroborate what you are stating ? Is it known if there are other exclusion areas and which are impacted products ? You mention DJI WKM, what about DJI Naza, Zero UAV, Mikrokopter etc ?
moombe is online now Find More Posts by moombe
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:36 AM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Communist countries can, and will do what they want. For DJI I'm sure it was do it or stop selling your product. No choice there.

I can also see where it would be pertinent to include no fly zones in any country. There have been several plots to fly RC (or autonomous) aircraft into the White House here in the US. You're not supposed to fly RC there anyway so why not take the potential threat away by not letting the APM be capable of navigating to those areas.

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:02 AM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,052 Posts
This is simply a CYA (Cover your "Assets") move. DJI is protecting themselves from idiot users who will buy their product and fly it over areas they shouldn't.

That being said, for every software "lock" out there, there is always a hack, usually within months of release.
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
what communist countries have to do with this issue? it's the same as with other political ideologies.

as for DJI, I'll never ever buy any product from them again and I advice anyone from doing so. These kind of restrictions are not acceptable.
riskinhos is offline Find More Posts by riskinhos
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:44 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Communist government = complete and utter control over all aspects of business with no recourse.
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:57 PM
Our Work Is Never Over
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2012
322 Posts
Its simple enough to not upgrade the firmware to avoid these new restrictions and we need to upload the old firmware so people can roll back new ones =)

Yea my next set of controllers will be CC3D obviously DJI is collaborating with tyrants
Blusky1 is offline Find More Posts by Blusky1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Blusky1; Jul 20, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 05:52 AM
Joined Apr 2012
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusky1 View Post
Please provide proof of these outlandish claims or i consider them lies.
DJI state it on there website
http://www.dji-innovations.com/dji-r...rt-guide-1-04/
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Last edited by flyingbiscuit1; Jul 20, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
1,861 Posts
i bet they can update the no-flys with patches too..
harryarnold is offline Find More Posts by harryarnold
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
FPVer's are Risking Their Right to Fly Anywhere...

Look guys, if we insist on prodding any powers that be (governmental, corporate, or economic) with unwelcome surveillance (but of course, we're not under any...), RC outdoors will be as dead as the dinosaur. We'll all have to fly indoors, like the Chinese often do.

It will just kill me to have to pay Jerry Jones to fly...and then take footage of what? The inside of a stadium. Keep it rural, get permissions, or keep it low key if at all possible. An "in your face" attitude at this moment in sUAS/sUAV history is likely to be followed by an iron jackbooted response. Think about it...

That being said, a brave soul here in Dallas got some aerial footage of a slaughterhouse dumping raw pig blood into a creek and got the place shut down by the city. Not fined, not forced to clean up. Shut down. Kudos.

All the same, I'm sure that FAA came calling. We all can't be Black Sheep.
nurflugel163 is offline Find More Posts by nurflugel163
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:40 PM
Joined Jul 2013
5 Posts
Re: Dallas Aerial Footage

Come to think of it, that may be why Texas just passed the most restrictive law in the country. Drone pilots can be fined $10K per frame of HD video or per each still image obtained.
nurflugel163 is offline Find More Posts by nurflugel163
Old Mar 27, 2014, 01:39 AM
Joined Feb 2013
244 Posts
Do these no fly zones stop you flying or do they only apply to waypoints?
Tikigod19 is offline Find More Posts by Tikigod19
Old Mar 28, 2014, 01:51 AM
Joined Jan 2007
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikigod19 View Post
Do these no fly zones stop you flying or do they only apply to waypoints?
waypoints
red_gol is offline Find More Posts by red_gol
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:29 PM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty View Post
Communist government = complete and utter control over all aspects of business with no recourse.
I grew up with similar beliefs.

To believe the same thing today one must certainly have been "disconnected" for a good time

Nowadays the USA is the one country which seemes to be seeking "utter control" over... everything?
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar
Last edited by brakar; Mar 28, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2013
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty View Post
Business under democracy = complete and utter control over all aspects of government with no recourse.

Not that I'm a commie or anything.
SuperCamel is offline Find More Posts by SuperCamel