SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:14 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2006
122 Posts
Discussion
adding ailerons to a hobby zone champ?

I posted this in the basics forum and didn't get any hits. I am going to post here to see if I get better results.

I keep trashing my big planes and want to go back to flying something I can't crash and destroy as much. I started out with a hobbyzone champ and decided to put ailerons on the wings. I used a servo and parts from a p-51 mustang micro.

I don't get as much if any turn with the ailerons. Is the because of the dihedral in the wing? If I take out the dihedral, will I get better aileron performance.

I hooked them up with pushed rods that attach to the linkage like I found in the micro mustang. Any better ideas on how to hook up ailerons off of that servo? I used piano wire and it is hard to trim, because the wire doesn't like to bend very well.

Cheers.
nelsonmay10 is online now Send a private message to nelsonmay10 Find More Posts by nelsonmay10
Edit/Delete Message
nelsonmay10 is offline Find More Posts by nelsonmay10
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,620 Posts
It looks from the picture that the ailerons are fairly inboard of the wing, they will work much better if on the outer sections of the wing. Even then I doubt the micro servo has the power to successfully work ailerons on a Champ.

You would probably be better off determining why you keep trashing your big planes, and solving that problem.
If the big planes are totaled, (not repairable), then using the gear from them and building one of the foamie models again would make more sense to me.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2006
122 Posts
I am just not that good of a flyer and I get frustrated. I collected a few planes and need practice. Since they are so cheap from hobby king, I have a few that are above my level. I have something that is a step up from a trainer, but I keep crashing it. My eye site is getting bad at long distances and I can't distinguish the tree line from the sky. That is where I hit. I like this little plane, because you can keep it in the air. When my skills get better and I can keep planes close to me, I will start flying the others again. I hate simulators, and the local flying club I am in said, "you have to fly until you are good enough to react without forethought. They you will be able to fly and have more fun. The ailerons are on the outside of the wing. You may be seeing the linkage. Anyway, I read a few posts of guys putting ailerons on this thing and I thought it would be a good rainy day project to teach me how to build planes.

Thanks.
nelsonmay10 is offline Find More Posts by nelsonmay10
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:43 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
It looks like he used the scale outline molded into the wing for his ailerons.

You are likely experiencing adverse yaw. Try moving the linkage from the servo to the bell crank to the innermost hole. That will give you more aileron deflection. If you have a computer radio I would suggest an aileron to rudder mix.

Another option would be to change the size and shape of the bell crank to mechanically induce some aileron differential.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:58 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,777 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...19&postcount=3
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:18 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,801 Posts
eflightray is correct. The ailerons need to be outboard. I don't think the dihedral is the problem. And if the servo worked on the P-51 is should be OK here.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:14 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonmay10 View Post
I am just not that good of a flyer and I get frustrated. I collected a few planes and need practice. Since they are so cheap from hobby king, I have a few that are above my level. I have something that is a step up from a trainer, but I keep crashing it. My eye site is getting bad at long distances and I can't distinguish the tree line from the sky. That is where I hit. I like this little plane, because you can keep it in the air. When my skills get better and I can keep planes close to me, I will start flying the others again. I hate simulators, and the local flying club I am in said, "you have to fly until you are good enough to react without forethought. They you will be able to fly and have more fun. The ailerons are on the outside of the wing. You may be seeing the linkage. Anyway, I read a few posts of guys putting ailerons on this thing and I thought it would be a good rainy day project to teach me how to build planes.

Thanks.
Not wanting to seem rude, but have you considered getting you eyes tested and wearing glasses.

Flying model planes generally needs good eyesight simply so you don't put others at risk. I regularly get my eyes checked and do wear glasses, but can still have the occasional problem distinguishing orientation.

Back to the flying, do you still have rudder as well as ailerons ?, if so try coordinating rudder and aileron for turns. It's very useful practice for flying most aileron models and will give better quality turns, not just use the 'bank and yank' method.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:08 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,050 Posts
It would help to take the dihedral out of the wing. The dihedral is trying to keep the wing from rolling while you are trying to make it roll. Differential would also make it roll better, Takes the adverse yaw out of it. Moving the pivot point for the bellcrank further forward would give you diff. in the right direction.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:17 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,300 Posts
force is much more effective at a longer lever, so I would definitely imagine the ailerons would be more effective further outward towards the wingtips.

Wow, that's the inside of a champ fuselage? Not very sturdy looking.
failboat is online now Find More Posts by failboat
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:26 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I'm not sure if people have noticed, but his ailerons are on the outer part of his wing. He has a torque tube set up like all the 4 ch. micro warbirds. From the picture it looks like he is using the scale outlines of the ailerons that are moulded into the wing.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7